128 members have voted

1. 1. With a dog you didn't bond to?

• Keep the dog anyway
    • Keep the dog and try and bond
    • Rehome the dog yourself
    • Give the dog to Rescue/Pound
    • PTS the dog
    • Other
  2. 2. If you were offerered another dog that you had bonded with?

• I would pass on the new dog
    • I would take the new dog as well
    • I would suitably rehome the non bonded dog and take in the new one
    • I would give the nonbonded dog to rescue/pound and take new dog
    • I would PTS the nonbonded dog and take in new one
    • Other

I'm curious to hear more from the person who stated they would PTS the dog? Not to have a go at, just to hear more as to why/how you would come to that decision?

I must admit I would like to hear their reasoning - seems a bit harsh to me.

I HAVE rehomed a bitch, about 2 years ago - we never really bonded, although she was a lovely girl. She was also an escape-artist and led the other dogs into mischief. I found a home for her where she had human company most of the time, has her owner's grandchildren to play with & spoil her and she couldn't be happier - it was a great outcome allround.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I returned my Male Dobe to the breeder.

I tried for 18 months, I tried everything. He came to work with me, went everywhere with me and was a complete pig who couldn't have cared less where I was or if I was around at all.

I did obedience, showing beack walks.

One day I had had enough and rang the breeder in tears - I had rang and tried what was suggested over the 18 months. He suggested I return him for a short time so he could assess him and possibly do some training with him to see what he was up to.

I returned him and whilst I was sad as I had no dog, I was relieved he wasn't there. After a few weeks the breeder told me he was one of the hardest dogs (temperment wise) he though he had ever bred and he thought I had done a great job and trained him quite well. He had sent one of his retired bitches to stay with me while he was there. I fell in love with her, she had a great time at the beach and after a period of time I asked him if he would consider letting her stay. He said he was going to ask me if I would like her to stay - I was soo honoured.

It also helped me to know that I did not want my male back, it was chalk and cheese. I went up to Perth to see him at the royal and he couln't have cared less, infact he wass more responsive to the girl who was handling him.

I knew then I did not want him back. He got rehomed to a lovely couple that didn't want anything other than a dog who wandered around the house and went on walks. He was much happier with that. I kept the lovely girl, we had a great relationship even though she was 6 when I got her. I went on to get a grandaughter of hers and we had a wonderful relationship. I just figured that I was not suitable as a male Dobe owner. Maybe it was just him, but I vowed and declared I would never get another one ever!

I just want to add - it's not that i don't love my troublesome poppet and he is adoring as well - i just know that if a perfect home came along for the older one - the decision would be that he would stay...no doubts. For the other...if a perfect home came up that suited him to a T i'd let him go.

Yippeeeee! After nearly 6 years, I have finally bonded with my dog!

Well, he wasn't really my dog as he was chosen by my ex for my ex and when my ex passed away, I was stuck with him!

Paddy just wasn't the dog I would have chosen especially as I had just lost my heart dog and was in a deep depression over it.

I resented having to train and care for the new pup. I resented that my ex had had enough of the pup after around 4 months and that I had to put my foot down and refuse to allow the ex to return him to the rescue group he had been adopted from.

The thing is that even though Paddy and I never bonded, he really has a brilliant temperament, he is placid, he is well behaved, is friendly with every body, is great with all other dogs and has been invauable in rehabilitating rescue dogs with behavioural problems.

In the last few months Paddy and I have grown close. I would never part with him now.