Best Promotion Of Purebred Dogs

Souff

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs aren't people.

Got that one courtesy of my thread about trampolines! :)

:thumbsup::mad:(:) :)

memories ;)

BUT THEY ARE OWNED BY WHAT? ;) :thumbsup:

people..... thats what. thats who.

since the same people can choose to vaccinate or not to vaccinate their own progeny.

why does anyone including a politician feel they have the right to take that choice away?

does anyone here seriously belive you cease to be a part of the "people" or cease to the right to to freedom of choice if the choice involves your dog??? for goodness sake?

you can take the poor dog or cat or whatever and have your vet kill it, on your order and its perfectly legal.. it doesnt have to be ill or injoured.

where is the sanity in this scenario?

its elitist because having a pure breed doesn't make you any better than someone who has a cross breed, and if you're saying, "well my pure breeds were walking down the street and everyone commented on how nice they looked" why not just say, "i was walking my dogs down the street and people commented on how nice they looked"? why the need to add in that they're pure breeds? the only reason you put it there is so you can show off and feel wiser than someone who has got their dog elsewhere. i could have got my dogs papers when i got him, but i didnt because i didnt care, i didnt need to prove that he hasn't been "tainted" by another breed. the rest of this forum is really interesting, but threads like this remind me of high school.

Kyliestar,

I think I am an elitist. When I look at a well bred animal, particularly one in its natural setting, I am awestruck. Muscles rippling on an animal ready to spring, or magnificent movement from the hindquarters as an animal takes off on a high speed chase .... my dream is to see something like a jaguar in the wild with all of that happening.

A well bred, healthy animal with a beautifully toned body can be a stunning sight. Whether it be a horse, a jaguar, a greyhound on the track, or an Australian Terrier trotting springily along with its master with the coat shining and flowing, the head held high on a firm neck, or a spaniel of beautiful proportions with rippling flanks and coat.

I was not talking about just seeing a purebred dog on the street, I was talking about seeing two exceptionally well bred animals walking with their owners.

I do not know who owned the dogs or if they had a registered pedigree, but what my eyes told me was that these two animals were WELL BRED, and it also told me that they were HEALTHY and FIT.

Now another dog of the same breed might have come along and I may not have batted an eye .....

I am so used to seeing, and tired of seeing:

overweight dogs, dogs whose skeletons are not of the correct proportions, dogs with bowed legs, dogs with turned out feet, dogs with poor shoulder angulation, dogs whose necks appear to be stiff and not well supported, dogs that are limping, dogs that are practically dragging their hindquarters, dogs that are skipping or hopping instead of gaiting smoothly.

Most of the afflictions that I have listed here are common, on both purebred and crossbred dogs. It is a form of cruelty that both breeders and owners are perpetuating and it is very, very sad.

We should be breeding better dogs.

I was lucky enough to see two dogs that were not afflicted by any of the above ..... and they were a stunning sight.

There are many more dogs like this and we often see them at dog shows ..... they are excellent examples of their breed.

What I was saying in this thread to anyone who owns a dog like these dogs, PLEASE TAKE IT OUT THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE.

They are a magnificent sight, every bit as good as that jaguar in the wild probably.

Yes, I am an elitist and I make no apology for it. None at all.

Well bred dogs that can move beautifully and smoothly should be the ones who get to carry their breed into the future and they should be seen more by the general public.

Souff

Edited by Souff

It is not about the crossbreeds themselves. It is about the kind of people who breed them, the conditions they are often bred in, the misinformation spread about them, the fact that these dogs will never be able to contribute anything to my breed's gene pool, they will never do anything to preserve my breed as it is and has been for a very long time.

This is the key point and should be quoted every time someone starts in on the you just hate crossbreds speech.

its elitist because having a pure breed doesn't make you any better than someone who has a cross breed, and if you're saying, "well my pure breeds were walking down the street and everyone commented on how nice they looked" why not just say, "i was walking my dogs down the street and people commented on how nice they looked"? why the need to add in that they're pure breeds? the only reason you put it there is so you can show off and feel wiser than someone who has got their dog elsewhere. i could have got my dogs papers when i got him, but i didnt because i didnt care, i didnt need to prove that he hasn't been "tainted" by another breed. the rest of this forum is really interesting, but threads like this remind me of high school.

Kyliestar,

I think I am an elitist. When I look at a well bred animal, particularly one in its natural setting, I am awestruck. Muscles rippling on an animal ready to spring, or magnificent movement from the hindquarters as an animal takes off on a high speed chase .... my dream is to see something like a jaguar in the wild with all of that happening.

A well bred, healthy animal with a beautifully toned body can be a stunning sight. Whether it be a horse, a jaguar, a greyhound on the track, or an Australian Terrier trotting springily along with its master with the coat shining and flowing, the head held high on a firm neck, or a spaniel of beautiful proportions with rippling flanks and coat.

I was not talking about just seeing a purebred dog on the street, I was talking about seeing two exceptionally well bred animals walking with their owners.

I do not know who owned the dogs or if they had a registered pedigree, but what my eyes told me was that these two animals were WELL BRED, and it also told me that they were HEALTHY and FIT.

Now another dog of the same breed might have come along and I may not have batted an eye .....

I am so used to seeing, and tired of seeing:

overweight dogs, dogs whose skeletons are not of the correct proportions, dogs with bowed legs, dogs with turned out feet, dogs with poor shoulder angulation, dogs whose necks appear to be stiff and not well supported, dogs that are limping, dogs that are practically dragging their hindquarters, dogs that are skipping or hopping instead of gaiting smoothly.

Most of the afflictions that I have listed here are common, on both purebred and crossbred dogs. It is a form of cruelty that both breeders and owners are perpetuating and it is very, very sad.

We should be breeding better dogs.

I was lucky enough to see two dogs that were not afflicted by any of the above ..... and they were a stunning sight.

There are many more dogs like this and we often see them at dog shows ..... they are excellent examples of their breed.

What I was saying in this thread to anyone who owns a dog like these dogs, PLEASE TAKE IT OUT THERE FOR THE WORLD TO SEE.

They are a magnificent sight, every bit as good as that jaguar in the wild probably.

Yes, I am an elitist and I make no apology for it. None at all.

Well bred dogs that can move beautifully and smoothly should be the ones who get to carry their breed into the future and they should be seen more by the general public.

Souff

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :mad:(:)

Thank you, Souff.

I too, am an elitist and I make no apology for it.

Most of my dogs' outings are in suburban streets, and I think they have caused a few near car accidents through drivers turning to watch them as they go by, LOL. I get lots of questions and comments on them which I am happy to answer even though usually I'd much rather just enjoy a quiet walk.

It's not racist, and it's not politically incorrect, to enjoy and cherish the distinctive look and temperament that comes with a well-bred and well-kept example of a particular breed. I'd not have it any other way.

Edited by Diva

A few months ago I attended a Dogs Day Out with Dogs NSW over near Mosman, Sydney. During the day we counted over 70 different breeds who visited with their families. Was lovely to see so many purebred dogs.

I am sure that all dogs are equally loved whether they are purebred or mongrel but at least when buying a healthy puppy from an ethical breeder, you know what size, coat type & characteristics your dog will mature to.

I am always happy to talk about my breed to anyone who stops to ask and the dogs are always happy to get extra pats & cuddles too.

I have just been picking my way through this thread, and geez folks I am not sure how many people are actually getting it?

From what I can see, the original post was about APPECIATING AND ADMIRING A WORK OF ART.

It is about recognising excellent construction, combined with good health, packaged together in a beautiful outline.

It is about admiring the efforts of someones dedication to their craft - in this case the breeding of purebred dogs.

That sort of thing stands out. It is like standing and admiring a beautiful piece of architecture and respecting the person who designed it. It is technical precision that because of its correctness becomes beauty.

It is about appreciating it when you see it and reveling in the moment. And wishing there were more like it.

If it is elitest to enjoy a beautiful scene or poem, or piece of music, or building or painting or to admire the joy and beauty and technical precision that shines from a truly well constructed and heathy animal, then call me elitest because I too enjoy seeing and admiring these things. They make me look and they make me stop to enjoy the moment. They catch my eye, make me smile and sometimes take my breath away. And in no way am I ever going to apologise for that.

I have just been picking my way through this thread, and geez folks I am not sure how many people are actually getting it?

From what I can see, the original post was about APPECIATING AND ADMIRING A WORK OF ART.

It is about recognising excellent construction, combined with good health, packaged together in a beautiful outline.

It is about admiring the efforts of someones dedication to their craft - in this case the breeding of purebred dogs.

That sort of thing stands out. It is like standing and admiring a beautiful piece of architecture and respecting the person who designed it. It is technical precision that because of its correctness becomes beauty.

It is about appreciating it when you see it and reveling in the moment. And wishing there were more like it.

If it is elitest to enjoy a beautiful scene or poem, or piece of music, or building or painting or to admire the joy and beauty and technical precision that shines from a truly well constructed and heathy animal, then call me elitest because I too enjoy seeing and admiring these things. They make me look and they make me stop to enjoy the moment. They catch my eye, make me smile and sometimes take my breath away. And in no way am I ever going to apologise for that.

:champagne::birthday: :birthday: :cheers:

Well said :cheer:

While I do understand the sentiment of the thread, I'm not so sure it holds true with the general public... us dog fanatics are different :champagne:

I have two dogs -- one a mutt and one pedigreed. To be honest, they both get comments when we are out walking.

The general public doesn't notice that the mutt's legs are cow hocked. They don't care that his ears are crooked. And they don't know that he gets allergies. What they do see is a handsome, calm dog on a walk with his family.

The general public doesn't notice that the purebred has beautiful conformation. They don't see that her parents were health tested and she is unlikely to have any genetic problems passed down from them. What they do see is a pretty, sweet dog on a walk with her family.

While I do understand the sentiment of the thread, I'm not so sure it holds true with the general public... us dog fanatics are different :champagne:

I have two dogs -- one a mutt and one pedigreed. To be honest, they both get comments when we are out walking.

The general public doesn't notice that the mutt's legs are cow hocked. They don't care that his ears are crooked. And they don't know that he gets allergies. What they do see is a handsome, calm dog on a walk with his family.

The general public doesn't notice that the purebred has beautiful conformation. They don't see that her parents were health tested and she is unlikely to have any genetic problems passed down from them. What they do see is a pretty, sweet dog on a walk with her family.

i disagree. the general public may not be able to articulate why a dog makes them stop and stare or make them gasp but i am pretty sure it is because they have seen a magnificent dog with great conformation that walks well

There is a difference between cute and WOW!! :champagne:

And no, not all purebreds will have the 'wow factor' either.

indeed, i have seen a few dogs that have taken my breath away and not just me either, people who aren't dog people had the same reaction...the dogs were magnificent

eta the last one was an amstaff and i went over to ask what sort of dog it was i had never seen such a well put together amstaff before. i then researched them more thoroughly and it really was one of the best

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

There is a difference between cute and WOW!! :rolleyes:

And no, not all purebreds will have the 'wow factor' either.

indeed, i have seen a few dogs that have taken my breath away and not just me either, people who aren't dog people had the same reaction...the dogs were magnificent

eta the last one was an amstaff and i went over to ask what sort of dog it was i had never seen such a well put together amstaff before. i then researched them more thoroughly and it really was one of the best

And THAT is what it is all about. Appreciation of a well bred dog.

The general public doesn't notice that the purebred has beautiful conformation.

Maybe not but they see a dog that makes them take notice - people arent dumb even if they dont know what great conformation is - they still take notice of a dog that makes them think 'OMG that is a beautiful specimen'. Doesnt matter if they dont know why they think it is. A beautiful animal is a beautiful animal. I was watching a little cairn terrier in the local dog park today. I just thought the same as the OP who started this thread did - wow what a well put together little purebred dog. And I was with a Doler the other afternoon when a lady walked by with her labrador. We both said the same thing - what a great looking lab.

Sure, I understand what you all mean, I recognise a stunning dog when I see one. But most non-doggie people I know go just as ga-ga over shaggy oodles, oversized staffies, and pug crosses with smooshy faces.

My little girl turns heads. She is well bred but what gets people interested is her colouring... she is mismarked. Lots of things turn people's heads, not just good conformation.

I had to have a giggle once when visiting a dog show with Grumpy. There were 10 or so wheatens there. A couple inquiring about getting a wheaten pointed at Grumpy (the only wheaten there with the so-called 'Irish' coat) and said, 'We want one who looks like that.'