Bike Riding With Dogs

Cookiez

I thinks it's one of the nicest titles out there, too. The idea of riding along with the dog beside you is just lovely!

Yes, me too. As long as you put the training in, you'll almost certainly title the dog on the day. And it's a sensational day out.

I was a bit disappointed when I went to club training a week or so later and told my instructor we'd done the ET. He said "ET? That's not a title! Anyone can get an ET!" I looked at around at everyone else there and said "So why were there only 19 dogs in the trial?"

And I've since spoken to heaps of people who won't even attempt it ebcause they think they wouldn't be able to do it.

I've enjoyed the two ET's i've done - despite the white knuckle ride it can be with Siberians :laugh:

And once you've done it once you realise how pretty relaxed and cruisey it is. 10kms an hour is not a hugely fast speed, and broken into 3 sections, most fit dogs will do it with ease.

I think i might do it with my younger boy next year - took him out on the bike for th first time last week (using both spring and lead) and he took to it really easily, i think he'll enjoy it.

I did it with my old girl years and years ago - but was never game enough to attempt it with my older boy because he's a screaming lunatic with no off button when it comes to exercise - and after a few bad incidents with the bike (as is want to happen with screaming lunatics), has a huge dislike for running beside the bike.

I thinks it's one of the nicest titles out there, too. The idea of riding along with the dog beside you is just lovely!

Yes, me too. As long as you put the training in, you'll almost certainly title the dog on the day. And it's a sensational day out.

I was a bit disappointed when I went to club training a week or so later and told my instructor we'd done the ET. He said "ET? That's not a title! Anyone can get an ET!" I looked at around at everyone else there and said "So why were there only 19 dogs in the trial?"

And I've since spoken to heaps of people who won't even attempt it ebcause they think they wouldn't be able to do it.

I have arthritis in my knees so it's upto them if I can make the distance lol. And as the trials are conducted in winter, the pain & inflammation is at it's worst :laugh: I could do it hopped up on painkillers but I'd be so doped that it could be dangerous LMAO. The dog has no problem whatsoever. And it's not the distance so much - on a good day I can do it easily but other days I can't make 2k. So annoying. But the dog deserves to be titled so I'll suck it up next year and have aback up handler :)

I use a soft lead , held in hand with handle bars , so could be easily released[ ie he'd stop to poop , I could just release and stop bike ], dog with halti . I deliberately bumped him at a very slow speed with the bike to show him not to go in front of the bike, used commands that i had taught prior to riding , back for left , stop , slow , ok for forward , come for right

Edited by Chezy & Chopper

I use a Springer, great tool. I remember once it started raining heavily, we were coming down a hill, and a cat suddenly appeared and dashed across our path. My high-drive GSD went to take off after the cat and nothing happened. We just kept riding.

Granted, I'm not light, but it just goes to show the benefits of putting the link between dog and bike down low and under the rider (using a properly designed tool with a safety release). Especially on a bike, where all your normal rules for walking on a leash can be changed because it is such a different picture for the dog.

I don't use directional cues, I just use one cue "this way" which means "pay attention, I'm turning". You also need to teach the dog not to stop for any reason, unless the bike is also stopping. I like to provide a toilet break shortly after we begin, once peristalsis has got things moving. Check pads often, too.

*edited because I didn't want anyone to think it would be a good idea to tie a leash to the seat post!

Edited by Aidan2