Sore Itchy Ears- Help!

buddy23

I'm not a vet but as long there was no sign of mites (indicating the vet did a swab of her ears), I believe what you have been prescribed is EXACTLY what your dog should have....

How do you expect the problem to clear up if you are not cleaning her ears????!!!

My girl is starting her course of Dermotic today - I've found it to be excellent in the past when dealing with yeasty ears.

With the ongoing problems your girl has had, it is highly likely that she has gone from yeasty ears to a bacterial infection. She might now also need an antibiotic.

I don't think you need another vet - your vet has done a good job but you are not keeping up with your end.

Take her back to the vet, get a swab to determine exactly what is needed medication-wise and get her ears cleaned out and plucked under anaesthetic and then continue with the treatment your vet has prescribed - TO THE LETTER!!!

Ears are annoying to treat for an owner - but the poor dog is irritable, itchy, unwell and in pain.

Hope you get her ears cleaned up soon. :dancingelephant:

My advice is to NEVER muck around with ears. It's a problem that must get sorted with professional help.

I had a foster dog with blown eardrums due to years of untreated ear infections. She had 3 ops whilst with me and daily drops, all managed on a vet's plan on a continuous basis - that is worst case scenario.

You can also blow eardrums by using the wrong treatment at the wrong time.

I put a rescue dog on a plane for someone - I just got handed the dog at the airport. When I landed at the other end, the poor little dog had to be handed over to a new owner but I could smell her from a distance. The people didn't want her because she smelt so, with a friend I met down there we went to her vet and guess what? Yes, her eardrums had burst because the person who "rescued" her, an individual, had never taken her to the vets and had her checked over. She'd had a terrible ear infection. That person I'm sure, will never do it again.

Diet plays an important part. With the dog I fostered (for 2.5 yrs as she was too sick to be rehomed), I put her on the Natural Balance diet from www.pricelesspets.com.au. It's formulated for dogs with ear/skin problems and my vet saw a big difference in a few weeks and said to keep going with whatever I was doing.

Never feed canned food or cheap food as they can have lots of additives.

I now feed my dogs on the Natural Balance, raw turkey mince and veggies and they love it.

Take her off the dry food!! The grains in that will be causing you the grief. Feed her a totally raw diet for a month and see if there is an improvement. Oh and no beef or preservatives. Do this in conjunction with the dermotic drops, cleaning the ears out regularly and you should see a big difference. I had the same issue when Eukanuba started to add more grain into their dry food. I no longer feed this product and have had no more issues. :laugh:

Does sedation stop the dog feeling pain? Or just prevent the dog from reacting to it?

Not an expert or anything, but I would think it would be the same as it is for humans. I've had a light sedation to have a gastrocopy (camera/tube shoved down your throat) and I basically fell asleep, didn't feel anything and woke up thinking the procedure hadn't happened at all.

Good luck to the OP in getting this under control, poor puppy with sore ears.