Rehoming High Drive Stafford

Aussienot, IMO as long as he went to a home that was committed to working him and working with a professional to learn how to manage his prey drive I think he would thrive. The OP knows what my opinion is because I've discussed it with her and she knows that my recommendation is that a behavioral assessment is done.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aussienot, IMO as long as he went to a home that was committed to working him and working with a professional to learn how to manage his prey drive I think he would thrive. The OP knows what my opinion is because I've discussed it with her and she knows that my recommendation is that a behavioral assessment is done.

and in the face of all of our urging she doesn't think it necessary

this will end in tears for sure

Perhaps OP should give herself a couple of days off thinking about it, then see how she feels about some of the practical suggestions made here? This is obviously quite an emotional issue for the OP and repeating ourselves won't solve anything.

Perhaps OP should give herself a couple of days off thinking about it, then see how she feels about some of the practical suggestions made here? This is obviously quite an emotional issue for the OP and repeating ourselves won't solve anything.

good point aidan :laugh:

Dog is going to his potential new home this weekend. In a few days it may be all over .. for now.

Dog is going to his potential new home this weekend. In a few days it may be all over .. for now.

i forgot about this PF. this does make it a more immediate situation

i forgot about this PF. this does make it a more immediate situation

OP hasn't returned to the Forum since she accused us of fanaticism. I doubt anything said from here on will make one iota of difference.

I say this with respect and compassion for the owner Huski, but this is a typical example of dog gone out of control with too much drive for conventional motivational training. There is clearly a point in the dog's development where this type of dog must be switched to include aversive based training to set boundaries, consequences and redirect drive. In the hands of an experienced K9 trainer this dog's behaviour would not have escalated into killing cats and needing to be rehomed. As a gesture Huski, next time you argue aversion versus motivational training, think about this scenario and remember the mess that occurred training a dog in the wrong methods unsuitable for it's type. :(

Edited by 55chevy

I say this with respect and compassion for the owner Huski, but this is a typical example of dog gone out of control with too much drive for conventional motivational training. There is clearly a point in the dog's development where this type of dog must be switched to include aversive based training to set boundaries, consequences and redirect drive. In the hands of an experienced K9 trainer this dog's behaviour would not have escalated into killing cats and needing to be rehomed. As a gesture Huski, next time you argue aversion versus motivational training, think about this scenario and remember the mess that occurred training a dog in the wrong methods unsuitable for it's type. :(

I don't think Huski has ever said that aversive training was always bad. I've never heard her do so.

But perhaps this is a topic for another thread, if you want to discuss it, just in case the OP wants to come back and tell us what happened with her stafford? There's no point turning every thread into an aversives vs motivational training argument. Better to have one thread for it, if you want to start that old debate again.

Edited by Staranais

I say this with respect and compassion for the owner Huski, but this is a typical example of dog gone out of control with too much drive for conventional motivational training. There is clearly a point in the dog's development where this type of dog must be switched to include aversive based training to set boundaries, consequences and redirect drive. In the hands of an experienced K9 trainer this dog's behaviour would not have escalated into killing cats and needing to be rehomed. As a gesture Huski, next time you argue aversion versus motivational training, think about this scenario and remember the mess that occurred training a dog in the wrong methods unsuitable for it's type. :D

If you had hung around here for a while and gotten to know huski you would know that you are 'barking up the wrong tree' with that comment :( as she is not against the use of aversive (did you know she is a student of K9Pro? She does TID with her Beagle.). Neither am I by the way :)

Hope the outcome is good for this fella. I agree with those who suggested some type of scent detection role.

Edited by Kavik

I don't have any problem with using aversives in training at all. Where did you get that idea from?

Perhaps instead of trying to be a condescending smartarse you could focus on being less of a douchebag. Deal?

I say this with respect and compassion for the owner Huski, but this is a typical example of dog gone out of control with too much drive for conventional motivational training. There is clearly a point in the dog's development where this type of dog must be switched to include aversive based training to set boundaries, consequences and redirect drive. In the hands of an experienced K9 trainer this dog's behaviour would not have escalated into killing cats and needing to be rehomed. As a gesture Huski, next time you argue aversion versus motivational training, think about this scenario and remember the mess that occurred training a dog in the wrong methods unsuitable for it's type. ;)

how incredibly unhelpful, condescending and rude :):(

I used to think that a behaviouralist was overkill until I consulted one as a last resort before considerig whether I had to rehome one of my dogs for her own wellbeing :) . Best .Thing.I. Ever.Did.

I first put this on the forum as I was told others might be able to find a home for my boy. If I had of known the level of fanatascism I would be subjected to then I would certainly not have done this. I understand that people can only respond to what they read or percieve but assuming anything makes you all look like fools.

Not once have I said that Q is dog aggressive...not once! He attends obedience Monday nights and Agility Wednesday nights. He has been to agility demonstrations AND to agility competitions. He has yet to show aggression to anything or anyone. My twelve year old daughter has done agility work with him. My six year old son can boss him around and Q just grins like a goofy boy and does what he is told. There are a few members on here who have had Q run with their dogs, from shelties to Border collies, he has maintained his manners at all times.

As for his "desperate" need for a behaviourist. Can I say overkill? Now, if I were talking about a Border Collie kept in a small yard that had a tendency to round up the kids and nip them on the ankles would you all be screaming for an assessment? Or a Newfie who refuses to let his owners kids near the pool and will climb on them to save them when they are swimming, would that be cause for a behaviourist??? Please, tell me where it is different that I have a terrier who is inherently bred to chase, catch and kill. This is what a Stafford is bred to do. I know this, I own this, I understand this. IF I didn't have cats, I would not be rehoming him.

Now, down to the nitty gritty. I believe someone accused me of "glossing over" the facts of Q's behaviour. So, would you all have liked me to tell you all in graphic detail what he did to his "prey"? Would you all have liked me to tell you in even more graphic detail how I collapsed into my husbands arms and COULD NOT SPEAK TO TELL HIM MY DOG HAD KILLED HIS CAT? Would you have liked me to tell you that I have been so torn up about what to do that I thought driving my car into a tree was a good option at the time? That I haven't been able to eat or sleep because I feel I failed my dog? I FAILED? Did it occur to anyone to ask any questions rather than assume?

I am a stafford breeder of fifteen years who has never had a dog with a prey drive this high. This is the first dog I have brought in to my kennel that I did not breed. I have been in obedience for as long as I remember and been an instructor for 6 years. I am actively searching for a home that has no cats. Many, many dogs can't live happily with cats. Q is one of them. He does not have DA.

To say that I am bewildered by everyone's insistence that there is something wrong with him is an understatement.

I knew there was a reason why I stayed away from the DOL forum. Too many of you like to assume that the person at the other end of the keyboard is a dimwitted idiot with no clue and no self respect and frankly, that is a shameful way to be.

I posted my decision on my Egroup, with whom I have been a member for over ten years. I have recieved nothing but support from all over the world. And yet, I come here and get accused of with-holding information and trying to irresponsibly rehome a child-maiming, dog-killing beast. And for the record, whichever of you twits said that he was not good with kids should ask, get your facts straight and hang your head.

So, in a complete nutshell, you have all pissed me off completely. You have made a difficult decision even harder by your thoughtless accusations and comments. And I am done with it.

Oh well if he kills again it's your conscience you have to live with :) You seem to have made up your mind so I honestly have no idea why you posted the thread if you wanted to rubbish everyone.

I think seeing a qualified experienced behaviouralist is a very sensible recommendation.

As for his "desperate" need for a behaviourist. Can I say overkill?

K9: Of course you can, but I really think that you may be drawing the bar of "when to see a behaviourist" a little high.

Now, if I were talking about a Border Collie kept in a small yard that had a tendency to round up the kids and nip them on the ankles would you all be

screaming for an assessment? Or a Newfie who refuses to let his owners kids near the pool and will climb on them to save them when they are swimming, would that

be cause for a behaviourist???

K9: yes I believe so, if you have a pet dog that is forcing humans to do things then it is a really good time to seek help. The breed really has no part in this decision or if the behaviour should be excepted (IMO)

Please, tell me where it is different that I have a terrier who is inherently bred to chase, catch and kill. This is what a Stafford is bred to do. I know this, I own this, I understand this. IF I didn't have cats, I would not be rehoming him.

K9: I think if you look at this from a BSL perspective you may not have put it this way... Many dogs were bred for things that arent permitted now, this doesnt mean that the dog should be excused from these behaviors, or that these behaviors cant be managed, redirected or trained out.

I am a stafford breeder of fifteen years who has never had a dog with a prey drive this high. This is the first dog I have brought in to my kennel that I did not breed. I have been in obedience for as long as I remember and been an instructor for 6 years. I am actively searching for a home that has no cats. Many, many dogs can't live happily with cats. Q is one of them. He does not have DA.

K9: If your still reading this, or perhaps for others benefit, this dog may not have an excess of prey drive which caused this issue, he could have a hyper active disorder that means that he cannot help himself. There are therapies, medicines and treatments that can help either cure or manage these problems and this is why a behaviorist should be consulted with.

Considering your experience in training and with this breed, I would be surprised to find this dog just displaying uncontrolled prey drive alone.

The problem I think most people see is that, put this dog in the same situation again, the same out come will arise.

Edited by K9Pro

I used to think that a behaviouralist was overkill until I consulted one as a last resort before considerig whether I had to rehome one of my dogs for her own wellbeing :mad . Best .Thing.I. Ever.Did.

Me as well. :mad

My staffy has a fairly high prey drive as well as being intensely focused on her ball/toys.

A session with a really great behaviorist and she is much better, because I took the advice I was given (and shown) and practice with her every day.