"bulldog" Breeds

Miss BeRidgierent

Thanks Jed,

I agree the Aussie Bulldogs (not the BYBer ones) are not DD. I owned one 10 years ago and got her from the founder of the Breed Pip Nobes in QLD. When she went over the Bridge a couple of years ago I wanted to get another, but stupid me chose a breeder closer to home, turned out to be a 1st timer and the Aussie Bulldog was huge, she looked so much like a Pitbull I would swear it was in her breeding somewhere. These dogs have a brilliant temperment, they are so placid and love the warm weather and a lay in a paddle pool. Jed is right they were bred for Aussie conditions, and when I was last a member of the club they were doing 6th generation puppies, that was 18mths ago.

They now have Miniature Aussie Bulldogs (half size to the standard ones). They are a very strong dog, but are very easy and quick to train, great with kids, love to be active or a couch potato. They have no breathing or whelping problems.

BF

The American Bulldog is certainly not a designer dog. They have been around for a long time, are registerable. They are much bigger than Bulldogs and Aussie Bulldogs. More agile and faster too. An all round dog, but a lot of dog. There are a couple of recognised "strains" in Aus but both are registerable in the Am Bulldog registry - and ACK or UKC, not sure which.

I wouldn't classify the Aussie Bulldog as a DD either. I think development of them began about 30 years ago. Now there are a lot of so called "breeders" breeding all sorts of things and calling them Aussie Bulldogs. For anyone who is interested in the breed, the original registry is the one you want, and a breeder who registers there. The real thing is a lot of generations away from x breds, and you can tell me all you like that an Aussie Bulldog is 2x Bulldog x something else, and hear me laugh. A true Aussie bulldog has a pedigree as long as your arm.

The "real" ones are nice little dogs, quite like Bulldogs, and were developed for the greater heat and this country, and for more mobility without losing the temperament.

Bulldogs are great dogs. Buy a bulldog from a GOOD breeder

Thanks Jed :eek:

Is this the original registry for Australian Bulldogs? australianbulldogsociety.com

Is there American Bulldog breeders in Australia?

After some research you can register American Bulldogs with UKC.

Another question :eek:

Hypothetically speaking - If I were to purchase either one of the three breed American/Australian/Olde English Bulldogge how would you go about making sure they are quality and what they breeder says they are, good lines etc? They would be a little more difficult to find information on compared to other breeds.

For the Aussie contact Pip Nobes in Toowoomba, QLD. And yes you have the right web site for information. but ask Pip about breeders in your area. I got my last one (the Pitbull lookalike from the Breeders list on that site (she's not there anymore)).

Good Luck.

BF

For the Aussie contact Pip Nobes in Toowoomba, QLD. And yes you have the right web site for information. but ask Pip about breeders in your area. I got my last one (the Pitbull lookalike from the Breeders list on that site (she's not there anymore)).

Good Luck.

BF

I can't find there details on that site? :( it's probably just me tho :laugh:

ETA: I've stumbled across this website??? http://www.bulldogsaustralia.com/ this is so confusing lol

Edited by Miss BeRidgierent

Don't forget you've got a French Bulldog as well. Love these dogs!! :laugh:

french_bulldog.jpg

French and British are the the only two ANKC recognised "bulldogs".

Ooo I do love the french bulldogs I would LOVE to own one of these guys someday just scared because I have a big I don't want him/her to be hurt or stomped on :(

I think they are usually pretty robust little dogs.

There is a very feisty one (and it's pied, Ruth!!) that goes to a park near me. I know Honey isnt as big as Kei ,but this little pup has ten times as much attitude as her. She takes on all the bigger dogs and plays with them. She is divinely gorgeous!! :(

then Pip later broke away to form the Australian Bulldog Society (ABS)

That's where I would be going. Pip is still an advisor I think. And you could probably ask her to recommend a breeder.

If I were to purchase either one of the three breed American/Australian/Olde English Bulldogge how would you go about making sure they are quality and what they breeder says they are, good lines etc? They would be a little more difficult to find information on compared to other breeds.

Google is your friend. Read the standard, check out as many dogs as possible. It's easier with an ANKC breed, but you can do it with another society.

Edited to add - the site Bluefairy posted

http://www.australianbulldogsociety.com/

Edited by Jed