Next Question

Steve

Yes I understand what you are saying but Im after things the MDBA may be able to do to find solutions unless we had our own registry its hardly something we could have much impact on.

All these topics I feel are a little confusing.

We have state laws, council laws, ANKC rules, and then there are other regulations that organisations (MDBA or breed clubs) can only apply to themselves.

Seems like some laws are enforced, some are not. And that just isn't fair. But it is what we have to work with.

From my own experience, I believe the way forward is for respectable organisations in that bottom tier to self-regulate, and use the most expert advice available to set best practice, and then use that for upwards change.

It is also the only way I can see that we can establish reputable 'brands' which we can then promote successfully. Which is essential to keep the future gene pool large and healthy.

You can cut and paste this post to just about every thread you have started lately Steve. :thumbsup:

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The fact that it has become over regulated is what has caused part of the problem.

Before we had a limit on how often we could breed a bitch , how old she had to be and now close relative issues people had no reason to lie.

The registry was reliable because there was no point in anyone not giving the true details. They took our pedigrees and Clare wade has said hardly any of us ever breed close relatives anyway so

what on earth do we have to gain by introducing regs or worse laws to restrict us doing close breedings? The people who shouldn't do it will still do it anyway and we wouldn't even have to be talking about a possible need for DNA profile for parents if we were simply left to do what purebred breeders of all species do including taking note of the specific reproductive needs of the species they are working with.

Not all pure breeders do take note of that, not all pure breeders place that above the importance of making money. How would a breeder easily prove which type they were?

Or do breeders of purebreed dogs have nothing to prove, and we should accept on their say so that they are breeding better dogs than a cross-breeder can?

Why does the MDBA have a higher code of ethics than the ANKC CoE, if you really believe that all breeders should be simply left to do whatever they please?

Yes I understand what you are saying but Im after things the MDBA may be able to do to find solutions unless we had our own registry its hardly something we could have much impact on.

All these topics I feel are a little confusing.

We have state laws, council laws, ANKC rules, and then there are other regulations that organisations (MDBA or breed clubs) can only apply to themselves.

Seems like some laws are enforced, some are not. And that just isn't fair. But it is what we have to work with.

From my own experience, I believe the way forward is for respectable organisations in that bottom tier to self-regulate, and use the most expert advice available to set best practice, and then use that for upwards change.

It is also the only way I can see that we can establish reputable 'brands' which we can then promote successfully. Which is essential to keep the future gene pool large and healthy.

You can cut and paste this post to just about every thread you have started lately Steve. :thumbsup:

Very true.

The fact that it has become over regulated is what has caused part of the problem.

Before we had a limit on how often we could breed a bitch , how old she had to be and now close relative issues people had no reason to lie.

The registry was reliable because there was no point in anyone not giving the true details. They took our pedigrees and Clare wade has said hardly any of us ever breed close relatives anyway so

what on earth do we have to gain by introducing regs or worse laws to restrict us doing close breedings? The people who shouldn't do it will still do it anyway and we wouldn't even have to be talking about a possible need for DNA profile for parents if we were simply left to do what purebred breeders of all species do including taking note of the specific reproductive needs of the species they are working with.

Not all pure breeders do take note of that, not all pure breeders place that above the importance of making money. How would a breeder easily prove which type they were?

Or do breeders of purebreed dogs have nothing to prove, and we should accept on their say so that they are breeding better dogs than a cross-breeder can?

Why does the MDBA have a higher code of ethics than the ANKC CoE, if you really believe that all breeders should be simply left to do whatever they please?

We are not over all breeding better or worse dogs - we breed different dogs. We breed dogs differently. We ARE purebred breeders and our philosophy is based on the fact that we are able to work

over several generations and have predictable dogs. We believe this is necessary in our society because dogs which are selected to match more closely a persons lifestyle has less chance of living an unhappy life. I do believe breeders should be left and the reason the code of conduct for the MDBA is different and higher is because its still a choice a breeder can make ,To state publicly that they agree to operate under a certain code. they loose nothing if they decide they don't want to so they leave.They can still be registered breeders , they can still show their dogs and breed them. If someone wants to register puppies or run around a show ring etc they have to agree to a code that a high percentage of members dont even know what it says. They agree to anything they have to get what they want. By the way last time I looked our code doesn't restrict how many litters a breeder can have or how often they can breed a bitch or how old a bitch is when she is not able to be bred all things which impact on registry integrity.

Not all breeders of any type of dog cross bred or purebred place that over the importance of making money. how would they prove which type they were? Join the MDBA. :thumbsup: