Sorry Me Again.....

ellz

If you had $1500 or thereabouts to spend on a new DSLR, what would it be and why?

The limitations are:

You will probably not have an opportunity to spend any more money on lenses for some time to come. Therefore would prefer either good quality single or twin lens kit in the box OR recommend a good body and which lenses you would advise for animal photography, scenery, occasional people shots, action shots.

I've read so much about cameras recently my head is spinning.

Help please....

I'd probably go to DWI and buy a Canon 550 body for $716 + SD card $45, 50mm 1.8 $91, 70-300 f4-5.6 $509 plus about $60 postage. That takes you to about $1421. :eek: I think that would do for a while.

I'd get the 50 1.8 cause it's cheap but works well in low light and takes great pics either portrait or just as a walk around lens. Just look at Becs photos, she only uses a 50mm.

I'd go for the 70-300 cause it's got a good zoom range and seems a reasonable lens for the price.

The 500D is $573, that would give you other options, or a bit of change. :p

Edited by Kirislin

The range I've mentioned doesn't give you wide angle though, I dont know if you like that as well. Clicking Mad takes some amazing and creative wide shots. They're good for landscapes too. Hopefully someone else will chip in with some other opinions for you.

Don't worry about covering the entire spectrum all at once.

Get the body. Get a lens or two. Play, experiment, learn. Once you get a feel for what you love and what you are fussed about it will make narrowing your next lens choices down much easier and you won't end up with a closet filled with stuff you don't use.

Master the basics on whatever you start with and then expand. Having more glass or a different body will not make you a better photographer. Being able to determine what glass will make what you want to do easier, will help you grow - but the only way to figure that out is to get out and shoot with whatever you have first.

There will ALWAYS be one more lens you lust after so don't stress about getting them all at once :D

I hear you kja. The only problem is that I have to try and "cover as many bases" as I can with one purchase because the likelihood of me EVER having money to spend again on more camera or bigger, better lenses is going to be virtually zilch. As I said, this will be a once and once only opportunity (IF it happens) so I want to get the most bang for my buck.