• Dogs outside, plenty of shade and water
    • leave inside with aircon
    • other - comment below

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest belgian.blue

No aircon and my Pointer would eat the rest of my lounge if I left him in the house, so they are outside.

They have plenty of shade, sand to lay in, frozen iceblocks with carrot and will come in the house at 3:30pm when I get home. Might give him a cold bath if he's really hot and then they will chill until about 7pm when we go for a walk.

I need to buy them another water bowl ASAP seeing as summer is here in Perth already :laugh:

I'm also considering buying them each a coolbed for night time and the afternoons when we chill until it cools down.

I am hopefully building next year, and will be having a dog room (complete with grooming area) behind the carport, that falls under the main roof, and aircon, and they will have access to that and outside.

I wanted to leave them inside today, however I am going straight out to dinner after work and I dont think Hemi could be trusted inside for that long...

I am going home at lunch to let them inside - as its only 10.20 and its just about to hit 35 degrees.

I THINK they are adequately catered for to stay outside, they have plenty of shade, two big buckets of water, a clam shell pool full of water and a fan, but I just worry, if its too hot outside for me... how can I leave them out???

My dogs have a couple of trees in the backyard, plus a patio, plus if the weather is extreme (too hot or a storm) I leave the backdoor open for them so they have access to that back room only (which has a lock on the door leading to the rest of the house). Lots of water and a paddle pool for them, too. However, as my Dad only works evenings, he tends to pick my dogs up and take them back to his house to spend the day in the aircon if it's too hot, or I am welcome to drop them round there in the morning, which is what I did this morning. I prefer them to be in the aircon if its too hot, but I know that if I can't provide that, they will be fine in my other setup.

We have 3 greyhounds - 9, 10 and 12. Because of greyhounds susceptibility to heat distress which worsens as they grow old, and that none of our current greys are water babies, I draw the line at 36 degrees. My previous job was close enough to home that I could drive home at lunchtime and put them inside with the aircon - or in those runs of hideously hot days of 40 or more, they stayed inside all day with aircon. Now I'm working too far from home, so am rethinking this for the summer. It's either going to mean some renovation to the enclosed verandah where they spend the day, or leaving them inside all day. Must get on to it!

Plenty of shady trees, swimming pool and couple of buckets of water. will often hose the dog down, and wet the area the like to lie in so that its cool for them. As soon as its possible the dog comes inside into airconditioning. Depends on if its dry heat or humid heat, here it can be 30 degrees but 80 % humidity which really drains you

I let my 2 decide what they want to do... if it's really hot outside though and they want to stay outside, I do spray water on them. They love it.

They are smart enough to know if things get to hot, they come inside. We have the fan on. Charlie is known to go into the shower stalls for naps when it's hot.

I did have a husky who loved very hot weather... the hotter it is, the more she will lay outside in the sun.

I am hopefully building next year, and will be having a dog room (complete with grooming area) behind the carport, that falls under the main roof, and aircon, and they will have access to that and outside.

I wanted to leave them inside today, however I am going straight out to dinner after work and I dont think Hemi could be trusted inside for that long...

I am going home at lunch to let them inside - as its only 10.20 and its just about to hit 35 degrees.

I THINK they are adequately catered for to stay outside, they have plenty of shade, two big buckets of water, a clam shell pool full of water and a fan, but I just worry, if its too hot outside for me... how can I leave them out???

I was going to go home yesterday to check everyone was OK but didn't bother in the end. I think I worry too much sometimes :eek:

I actually think it will get to 39 quite quickly today and then cool down a bit earlier .... there's even a bit of cloud cover out there now :laugh:

I leave the puppy outside under the patio in a large pen with a bed, fan, sandpit, bar fridge, clam shell pool, toys and chews. I seriously think it should be me out there with my Kindle :rofl:

The older dog gets to stay inside with the aircon on - although I didn't put it on today as the house is quite cool still. It's after a week or so of hot weather it tends to heat up. He comes and goes through the tiny cat door in the security door.

Once the puppy is older and can be trusted to not eat me out of house and home, he will be given free range to come and go as he pleases as well.

I leave the puppy outside under the patio in a large pen with a bed, fan, sandpit, bar fridge, clam shell pool, toys and chews. I seriously think it should be me out there with my Kindle :laugh:

Wow, Paddy is living the life, eh? Do you keep beers in there for him or just the soft stuff? :eek: I'm impressed you've taught him to use a bar fridge already, mine haven't learnt that yet :rofl:

I'm not working atm so am home all day. Mostly I put them out in the morning so I can get cleaning done but will let them in after lunch. They can stay in or go out as they wish. When I start working I will be leaving the 2 big dogs and the JRT outside. We have a large covered area at the back door and it has a ceiling fan that I would leave on, they have lot's of shady grassy spots to lay in if they want and plenty of water to drink. The 2 little boys will have to stay in while I'm not home because they both bark alot more than the others and they also snap at the Dobermann pup if he annoys them, which is fine if I'm home but I would worry in case he decides to snap back at them. They are both under 5kgs so one snap would be bad! I try not to use the AC but would leave ceiling fans on for them and plenty of water.

My dog has access to both inside and outside. However, I can't let him outside too much since the patio is being renovated by my landlady at the moment.

When he does go outside in the heat, he has shade, a big clam pool with sand, and a big water container kept in shade. I managed to get him let me wash him outside yesterday.

But for now he is enjoying being inside taking naps on the tiles.

I leave the puppy outside under the patio in a large pen with a bed, fan, sandpit, bar fridge, clam shell pool, toys and chews. I seriously think it should be me out there with my Kindle :laugh:

Wow, Paddy is living the life, eh? Do you keep beers in there for him or just the soft stuff? :eek: I'm impressed you've taught him to use a bar fridge already, mine haven't learnt that yet :o

:rofl: Seriously, he does have one in his pen (his pen just happens to go around where the fridge is) but thankfully he hasn't learnt to open it yet. :o

:laugh: Seriously, he does have one in his pen (his pen just happens to go around where the fridge is) but thankfully he hasn't learnt to open it yet. :rofl:

:eek:

At the moment I'm not working, so they can choose where to go. It seems to be staying relatively cool in the house, so haven't put the aircon on during the day yet, just doors open with a breeze coming through.

They'll be indoors once I start work - need to get a thermometer to see what temp it's getting to in the house, but I'll probably set the aircon for hot days.

Mine has free range, so usually I would leave him indoors. I have my mums dog staying over until this afternoon though and she is old and he keeps bothering her so she gets to stay in while he goes out. he has plenty of water and shade though :laugh:

There is pretty much 99.9% of the time at least one adult home in this house... the dogs are at the min, about 70% inside 30%outside, they spend a good amount of the day outside as they go stir crazy if aloud to stay in all day and come in for nap times and sleep all night inside....

When I buy my own place I plan on having a doggy door leading to a room that they can always come in and out of as they please.

While I was working they stayed outside in the dog runs.

They had an insulated brick kennel each and heaps of shade and water.

Never had any issues

Now that I work from home they go where they want.

Our yard is very shaded and we have a wonderful veranda that is always shaded so they love it outside but I do make sure they are inside over the hottest part of the day (this is more to save the Sammie's coats from getting burnt then anything else)

When I'm out my dogs are undercover and have their own fans and plenty of access to water.

Mine aren't inside dogs - the aircon remote would probably be chewed if they were - I don't use my aircon hardly ever so I don't think I'm being unfair.