How Do You Get A Prefix In Nsw

redblazebordeaux

I thought in another thread you said your prefix was Redblaze. Or is that the name of your dog?

From what I can gather, they have chosen Redblaze but not yet registered it. Too bad if it's rejected!

RSG- I know people who registered their prefix before even owning a registered dog! Some people like to be prepared lol. Or Maybe they want anonymity when exhibiting :thumbsup::angeldevil:

I thought in another thread you said your prefix was Redblaze. Or is that the name of your dog?

From what I can gather, they have chosen Redblaze but not yet registered it. Too bad if it's rejected!

RSG- I know people who registered their prefix before even owning a registered dog! Some people like to be prepared lol. Or Maybe they want anonymity when exhibiting :rofl::thumbsup:

I understand that it can be rejected, its just a hoping name at the moment..My girl name is Jima but i love the prefix redblaze but i do have some more incase it does get decline, which i know it can usually happen so fingers cross it doesn't.... :angeldevil:

Thanks, i just wasn't sure as i am currently waiting on my Main papers to come through... :angeldevil:

Geez, you're pretty quick off the mark, given your baby is just 8 weeks and yet to mature.

I know what you mean, i just like to prepare myself...can i also ask how old can the puppy be to attend the show? is it 6 months and older?

Yes, slow down! LOL! You don't even know if your pup will grow up to be worthy of breeding. That said, it pays to plan and if you are considering breeding it is good to start learning now. You have a few years at least to get prepared (noting that just because you will have a prefix and a main registered dog doesnt mean you actually have to breed this dog you have now - maybe it will be the next one that is more suitable).

Note that even though you have a prefix you like, that may not be the one you end up with. You will have to think up quite a few to submit in the hope that among them there may be one not already taken or similar to one already taken. Not sure how many you have to submit now? (when I did it we only had to submit 4 but I think now you submit something like 10 ???). you might be lucky though - don't know till you try. It pays to have some back ups up your sleeve though.

Edited as I am a bit confused by your comments now :/ . Your new pup will have the prefix of its breeder (they one THEY have applied for and registered), not one you choose. You will not be able to change that. The prefix you apply for and get will be what you use when you register any puppies that YOU breed. It can not be used on puppies bred by other people.

Edited by espinay2

Lots of people have a prefix and don't breed. I have no plans to breed but I now have an entire bitch and a male puppy who will remain entire also, and I believe even the best laid plans of keeping dogs apart can come unstuck. I just want to be able to register the pups if THAT happens.

I know people who only own male dogs and don't want to breed but exhibit under their prefix.

The form I submitted for my prefix had 5 spaces, I filled them all. But have known a few people who only put their first preference down.

I got my first choice (took me years to decide and many many hours of researching to try and find something that no one else had used). Other end of the scale is a friend who submitted 63 before one was approved!!!

I had to put in 32 prefixes before I got one.....and i dont like it :angeldevil:

I sent in 8 four times before they accepted one?!

Did you just pay one application fee, or did you have to pay with each lot of prefixes?

I only chose ones I liked so hopefully I'll get one, cos I can'tthink of any more.

I had to put in 32 prefixes before I got one.....and i dont like it :D

I sent in 8 four times before they accepted one?!

Wow that's a lot!

I was lucky and got my first choice :)

But I did do a lot of google searching of certain names before I submitted mine.

Yes, slow down! LOL! You don't even know if your pup will grow up to be worthy of breeding. That said, it pays to plan and if you are considering breeding it is good to start learning now. You have a few years at least to get prepared (noting that just because you will have a prefix and a main registered dog doesnt mean you actually have to breed this dog you have now - maybe it will be the next one that is more suitable).

Note that even though you have a prefix you like, that may not be the one you end up with. You will have to think up quite a few to submit in the hope that among them there may be one not already taken or similar to one already taken. Not sure how many you have to submit now? (when I did it we only had to submit 4 but I think now you submit something like 10 ???). you might be lucky though - don't know till you try. It pays to have some back ups up your sleeve though.

Edited as I am a bit confused by your comments now :/ . Your new pup will have the prefix of its breeder (they one THEY have applied for and registered), not one you choose. You will not be able to change that. The prefix you apply for and get will be what you use when you register any puppies that YOU breed. It can not be used on puppies bred by other people.

I know what you mean and i understand my puppy will always carry the prefix of the registered breeder that i brought her off...The reason why i want a prefix is not to necessary breed her as i'm not sure if i will or not, depending on how she will cope as she gets older including her hips/ elbow score, health, etc. The main purpose of applying for a prefix is to enter her into a show, that is the main reason of getting a show DDB.

OMG why would i be thinking of breeding my 8 weeks old pup?? That is insane, so please just because someone has posted that they are wanting to get their prefix does not necessary mean they are thinking of breeding their BITCH. :)

...The reason why i want a prefix is not to necessary breed her as i'm not sure if i will or not, depending on how she will cope as she gets older including her hips/ elbow score, health, etc. The main purpose of applying for a prefix is to enter her into a show, that is the main reason of getting a show DDB.

OMG why would i be thinking of breeding my 8 weeks old pup?? That is insane, so please just because someone has posted that they are wanting to get their prefix does not necessary mean they are thinking of breeding their BITCH. :)

:D You don't need a prefix to show her, you just need to be a member of your state's controlling body.

Head to the 'Show Ring' section, there's plenty of helpful people to answer any questions.

ETA: SwaY beat me to it :D

Edited by itsmeg