Umbilical Hernia

giraffez

Hi

My dog has an umbilical hernia. I was wondering whether it needs to be removed and how much roughly does it cost? My vet has quoted around $100 at the time of desexing.

I also read somewhere that it can be pushed back in. Is this possible/likely?

Thanks

Occasionally if a puppy is very young and the opening is still small, a tiny hernia can be pushed back in and will sometimes stay put, but in my experience, this is a rarity.

As your vet has advised, most repairs are done at the time of desexing, or some other surgical procedure. Just means that the puppy is only knocked out once instead of multiple times.

Hernias can only be pushed back in if they are 'reducible' which means the hole in the abdominal wall is patent and will allow the contents of the hernia to be replaced inside the abdomen. Sometimes the ring of tissue is quite small and as the dog grows it traps some fat on the outside of the muscle. Larger hernias can have loops of intestinal pop in an out.

Desexing is a good time to repair them as the dogs are already under anaesthesia. In terms of cost, all of the practices I have worked in charged between $50 and $100. It is generally a little less for female dogs as we do not have to make an additional incision, but repairing the hernia does take some extra time.

When I was breeding I taped a small coin over the hernia when it was first noticeable and you could reduce it. This seemed to work in very young pups but don't know how it would go in an 8 week old pup.

Otherwise as Rappie (who as a vet I would listen too) says repair when the pup is desexed.

At 9 weeks, I'd say it is not going to fix itself. If it is a really large hernia, the op might be more involved. But generally it is very simple - all they do is open up the skin, suture the abdominal wall closed, then close the skin. You need to keep the puppy quiet so it doesn't pop the stitches though! I had a litter of foster kittens who all had umbilical hernias, and they were repaired with no issues.

if it is just a small hernia with a bit of fat trapped, I would just leave it.

Its about the size of a marble around 1cm in diameter. Is that big?

Anyone else in sydney that has done the surgery and can share with me the cost involved? I rang a couple of vet around the area and they are all around the $100 mark. $100 compared to $30 for the same procedure seem a bit odd to me. Thanks

Edited by giraffez

If it bothers you then have it repaired while being desexed. As a groomer I see many dogs with umbilical hernias, they can vary in size but most dogs don't seem to have any issues with them. My little Maltese had one and it never bothered him, he died ~16yo (he came to us around 8yo).

Many years ago one of my fillies was born with an umbilical hernia - it was large enough to fit 4 fingers and was really awful to look at - vet told us if it never went by 12 mths then he would fix it - luckily it did go away and she died ~ 30 yo.

Might be worth while making a few enquiries and see what other vets will charge to do it at the same time as desex.

I had a Rottie bitch spayed about 18 mths ago and she also had a large scar/lump removed at the same time - it only cost me an extra $40.

Chloe had an umbillical hernia which was fixed at the time of desexing. Vet charged no extra for this. Looks fantastic now, wouldnt even notice it was ever there.

Although they are generally harmless, they can grow as the dog grows so I would personally get it fixed up at desexing, though your vet seems a bit harsh charging an extra $100...

if it is just a small hernia with a bit of fat trapped, I would just leave it.

Its about the size of a marble around 1cm in diameter. Is that big?

Anyone else in sydney that has done the surgery and can share with me the cost involved? I rang a couple of vet around the area and they are all around the $100 mark. $100 compared to $30 for the same procedure seem a bit odd to me. Thanks

That sounds about the size Bronson's hernia was, maybe your dog's is just a tiny bit bigger. Bronson had only one stitch. His $30 hernia job was done 6 years ago so maybe we should allow for CPI increase :) I still think $100 is pricey. Afterall the dog is already under GA.