Another Dslr Question :)

Beth.

Ok - so uni finished today :thumbsup: and i'm on the real hunt for my camera (which i've decided on the canon 550D). I've noticed on ebay that there are brand new ones from Hong Kong for example - but I just don't know what these are like, if they are genuine etc - one such as DC Trade offers a full 2 year warranty on the camera, but should I really just be looking for something in Australia and stear clear from these??

Thanks for the help!!!!

If you are looking to buy a grey import you could definately try ebay. Another dealer I have bought from is DWI International who also offer a warranty and you are able to send the camera to an Australian repairer if you have a fault with the equipment.

If you are looking to buy a grey import you could definately try ebay. Another dealer I have bought from is DWI International who also offer a warranty and you are able to send the camera to an Australian repairer if you have a fault with the equipment.

I also just bought a lens from DWI (Digital World International). They have agents in Australia, but it all ships from Hong Kong. I was very happy though with their service. The canon warranty got me hooked. My instruction book, though, came with Japanese as the first listed language - English was about number 4 in the booklet. Would buy from them again.

If I were buying a camera though, I think I would still do what I did - and buy from a camera store (shop around for best price and haggle for extras like memory card and battery) just so that I got the after sales service you get from them. (Being very much a beginner when it comes to all this).

I just bought my new camera body from an actual shop. Times are tough in retail, so if you go in hard you will probably get a good deal on something. Mine ended up only being $200 more than the grey import price. I just didn't want to risk sending it halfway around the world if it did end up with problems.

I just bought my new camera body from an actual shop. Times are tough in retail, so if you go in hard you will probably get a good deal on something. Mine ended up only being $200 more than the grey import price. I just didn't want to risk sending it halfway around the world if it did end up with problems.

That's pretty good, what did you buy and who from?