Bones?

Shmurps

After purchasing "Give A Dog A Bone" and reading all the benefits which makes perfect sense to me I still worry about giving them bones.

Even more so from reading the last topic. It took me sometime to find the right size and type to suit my dogs. Apart from the ground chicken carcass that they get

often, the greyhound get wholes carcasses, lamb flaps and the large marrow bone which is mainly for dental. He only has it for an hour and he chews the cartilage bits on the end.

He is also a gulper and seems to do fine so he can't have anything smaller. The jack russell mainly has lamb bones, such as the pelvis part and some other part. Not shanks as they seem to splinter. The first time I gave her one I went to check on the bone and was surprised at how sharp the bits were. They were as sharp as pins. The last time she had a chicken wing a small piece put a tiny little hole in the side of her cheek. She was acting all weird so took her straight to the vet. They didn't seem to think it was a blockage, bought her home, still not happy the next day, after another inspection there was a tiny little red dot on the inside of her mouth.

On bone days I sit out side, have a cuppa and keep an eye on them. Not confident to leave them alone with a bone.

I never leave my dog alone with fresh bones (except for those huge cannon bones, where the worst she could do is chip a tooth, she couldn't possibly chew off a bit and choke on it).

She gets edible bones, but only when I'm home to watch her. And I will only feed soft bones that won't splinter and form shards. So mostly she only gets brisket, flaps, fish heads, and sometimes chicken backs.

I think it's up to the individual owner to weigh up the risks of feeding, and not feeding, bones. They're great for dental health, and I think they're great behavioural enrichment too. But they certainly can cause serious health issues if you're unlucky.

I have been avoiding weight bearing bones.

So she gets chicken necks and frames. Wings are ok, but too fatty considering she gets other fatty stuff.

Turkey necks

Lamb flap in small portions.

I must seek out some more Lamb necks. They are good too.

She would still get Roo tail if she wasn't sensitive to Roo.

It does all wonders for the teeth. :rofl:

My dog vomits up very sharp shards of bone with roo tails and lamb necks. He's a gulper too. I've found lamb flaps and canned sardines are ok.. we have been keeping him off chicken to rule out any allergies but in the past chicken necks were ok.

I give my three (Westies) a chicken wing after their dog mince/vege slops each night. I cut the fat off from the trailing edge and shoulder-part. I usually buy them frozen, they come in a blue coloured bag and are small wings. I also give the little guys a chicken frame, with the tail and fat cut off, about once a week...they love them, they think they have made a major kill! :thumbsup: