More On My Crazy Dog

Loraine

ACP= acetylpromazine.

I'm not sure- BUT I think it only affects muscles etc... I think a dog can still be petrified/anxious/fearful, but wobbly/woozy .. ?? That's what I was told, anyhow- that it can be dangerous because of uncoordinated movements. as a dog tries to cope. As a pre med it's ok but I am cautious about using it in a case like this ...

Edited by persephone

I found this after googling night terrors in dogs

http://www.thepetdocs.com/articles/terrors.html

Very interesting Kirislin, describes his behaviour to a 'T'. The vet did a check of him, but I will take this printed info and have his boy parts checked. He is 8 and the vet asked if I thought it could be dementia, but I didn't think so.

Hairy maclary - I have tried leaving him in other rooms, basically he wants to be with me and if I foce him to stay in another room he just tries to find an escape route.

He is now on 1 and 1/2 Endep twice a day, first night not good, so yesterday I gave him one pill in the morning (not so zonked out for the day) and two before I went to bed (rather than about 6.30 with his thyroxine) Don't want ot hex things, but we both got a decent night sleep last night :D I am trying to get through to the psychic vet to explore all avenues and my vet is looking for other ideas too.

persophone - if that is true, wouldnt that make the dog feel worse, not having control over moving and not being able to "flight" if being scared of something????

Yes. I was told at a conference with a vet behaviourist that it should not be used in fear/anxiety cases as the mind stays active but the body can't respond. Vet behaviourist said that they "appear" calm but it can heighten the anxiety so if the thing that causes the reaction occurs at an unpredicted time when the medication has not been given the reaction can be greater than pre treatment.

We had a highly thunderphobic boy and were given acp for him by the vet that was on. Fortunately I went to that seminar before we administered it. Next time I was at the vet I got an appointment with my prefered vet who is the clinic owner and mentioned what we were prescribed. He was not impressed and said we should not have been give acp with what we had described and he would be discussing this with the other vet. I can't remember what we ended up getting instead - I think it was valium.

Lorraine - I hope you find the cause of his anxiety. It sounds awful for you both :confused:

persophone - if that is true, wouldnt that make the dog feel worse, not having control over moving and not being able to "flight" if being scared of something????

:confused: yep.

Years ago where I worked, we used to routinely ACP dogs before long flights.........until someone explained exactly what happened . Not good.

great as a pre med, and just for keeping a dog quiet after surgery ...when there is no real anxiety :laugh:

• 2 weeks later...