What To Use

twodoggies2001

We have just bought a new barbeque with a cover, and our younger boy is marking. What is mine is also his!!!!! It is standing on our back patio, and as yet,I haven't actually seen him doing the deed, but I know my older boy wouldn't do such a thing lol. What can I use to stop him doing this. He has access to the back garden through a doggie door and I don't want to restrict this.

We have just bought a new barbeque with a cover, and our younger boy is marking. What is mine is also his!!!!! It is standing on our back patio, and as yet,I haven't actually seen him doing the deed, but I know my older boy wouldn't do such a thing lol. What can I use to stop him doing this. He has access to the back garden through a doggie door and I don't want to restrict this.

I'd fence it off. A couple of those Bunnings compost bins would work. If you cannot be there to correct the behaviour, you'll be battling to stop it so removal of the temptation would be the most effective method of dealing with it.

Here is a few things you could try:

1. You could get your dog neutered. I read somewhere that neutering can stop marking by as much as 90%.

2. Try to distract your dog when he is about to mark. You can use a shaker to do this.

3. Clean the area he is marking. Don't use ingredients that have ammonia or vinegar in them as the smell of these can be similar to the urine, and may encourage it.

Hope that helps

I use white vinegar with some success. I just sprinkle it at whatever Bruno is marking and it kills the smell.

I noticed that sometimes he gets back at it once the smell is gone, and I just repeat it again. At least it's cheap.

1. You could get your dog neutered. I read somewhere that neutering can stop marking by as much as 90%.

2. Try to distract your dog when he is about to mark. You can use a shaker to do this.

3. Clean the area he is marking. Don't use ingredients that have ammonia or vinegar in them as the smell of these can be similar to the urine, and may encourage it.

Hope that helps

Funny, I just said something completely opposite. :thumbsup:

Vinegar works fine for me though.

Hope that helps

My boys are both neutered, and because they have access to the outside whenever they wish I don't always see where they are at all times plus there are times that I am away from the house. I have washed down the area with just plain water from the outside tap, and that's not working hence the question, "what to use". Up till now, neither boys have maked any partof the back patio area and havealways gone on the grass or used the trees.

Hope that helps

My boys are both neutered, and because they have access to the outside whenever they wish I don't always see where they are at all times plus there are times that I am away from the house. I have washed down the area with just plain water from the outside tap, and that's not working hence the question, "what to use". Up till now, neither boys have maked any partof the back patio area and havealways gone on the grass or used the trees.

Never underestimate the attraction of a solid vertical service for marking. :thumbsup: