My Puppy's Heart Is Failing... What Should I Do?

Eco

Hi everyone!

I am new to this, because I have only recently gotten my own puppy and I'm just writing this because I really don't know what I should do or who I should talk to about my puppy anymore.

I have recently gotten a puppy, but he has been diagnosed with a congenital heart problem - "Patent Ductus Arteriosus". The vets and the ultrasound technician believe that his heart will fail at anytime, and to operate would cost about 5,000 - 6,000. His left heart has already shown moderate damage at 12 weeks old.

I am an independent student at the moment and I really cannot afford to pay for this operation, I had to save up weeks before just so I could bring him for an ultrasound. So the options are to euthanize him, leave him until he suffers a heart failure, or to operate him. I have called the breeder and she's agreed to exchange another puppy for me, but it will not be the same again... I think she will also have to put him down when the time comes, and this is what I really don't want happening. I am desperate to get him the treatment but I am absolutely running out of ideas and options to get what he deserves, but I really cannot afford it, so I am feeling very useless and helpless at the moment.

There's absolutely no other payment options for the surgery for my situation, and there is a consultation fee if I want to discuss anything further, so I am not able to discuss any other possibilities. I have called many vets consulting the his problem, and many of them didn't think that there is a chance of recovery unless we operate him. I am already taking more shifts just so I could save bits by bits until I have enough but that will take a while and it will only get worse as time passes.

Just when I thought I have found the perfect puppy that makes me feel like I belong, I have to let him go. He's just a little innocent boy who just wants to have fun and see the world... I have not even got the chance to take him for walkies yet, and knowing that he might never get the chance to is really heart breaking and devastating (his heart can not tolerate exercise otherwise it would overwork it causing a failure eventually).

Noone is supporting the idea of operating him so I have absolutely no help or support and I am really really feeling hopeless, I only have a week to decide... so I was just hoping to seek some advise as to what I should do now?

Thanks for your time!

Really appreciate it!

post-37315-1289736367_thumb.jpg

I don't envy your position and if I was you I would be giving him his wings, but I hope you can work something out somehow if this is what you feel you must do. But you really need to step back (hard I know) and think honestly and clearly what is best for him - does he not have a name?? - not what your heart wants to be best for him.

:thumbsup: to you and your pup at this difficult time.

Edited by Sandra777

Darling, sometimes life is tough.

Sometimes, the kindest thing you can do is let them go peacefully.

I'm so sorry you are having this experience with your very first pup. That really is bad luck at its worst.

The reality us that, at those prices, you are looking at very complicated and risky surgery. Major surgery on a very young pup. Even if you have all the money in the world, it may not be enough to save him in the long run - or even in the short run, perhaps.

And he will be going through operations that he has no way of even understanding.

Hugs to you, honey. :thumbsup:

Please take up the breeder's offer. Even if you defer and wait for the next litter, perhaps?

Darling, sometimes life is tough.

Sometimes, the kindest thing you can do is let them go peacefully.

I'm so sorry you are having this experience with your very first pup. That really is bad luck at its worst.

The reality us that, at those prices, you are looking at very complicated and risky surgery. Major surgery on a very young pup. Even if you have all the money in the world, it may not be enough to save him in the long run - or even in the short run, perhaps.

And he will be going through operations that he has no way of even understanding.

Hugs to you, honey. :thumbsup:

Please take up the breeder's offer. Even if you defer and wait for the next litter, perhaps?

Of course you are in a terrible position, but I agree with the above statement, you cannot help this little puppy, and sometimes, that is just how it is. Take the breeder up on their offer, but get the next puppy double checked by the vet before you agree to take it home and fall in love with it.

You could do worse than get the parents hearts checked also - before you take the puppy home.

wish I could insert a smiley group hug for you, and you are clearly a wonderful dog owner.

Sometimes though, you have to do the hard yards, and this will be one of those times.

regards

HelenB

Guest belgian.blue

I agree on the replies, think about the puppies health and well being.

As hard as it is :laugh:

I had a healthy Pointer in 2004 and then early 2005 I was told to come and say goodbye [she was a youngster] as she was being put down that afternoon. She was very ill with liver cancer that struck her down extremely suddenly.

Roll on five years and I have a stunning Pointer boy back in my life. I wish it could have been sooner. He in no way at all replaces Penny, he keeps her awesome antics and loyal cuddles in my heart. I often talk to Badger [my Pointer] about Penny and it makes my heart smile :eek:

If I were in your shoes, I would do what is best for the little guy and he will thank you dearly for giving him a short but fun loving life.

Getting another puppy will never replace him, but it will help your heart to recover and trust me, it works :o

I know it helped my parents too, they now have a lovely 5 year old Pointer, from the same breeder as Penny. They bought home Jaffa about six months later.

Edited by belgian.blue

I am so sorry you are in such a situation ... :o

He is gorgeous... and, he has NO idea what 'ill' is, or that he is probably going to die very soon .. All he knows is his owner loves him very much . :) :) :laugh:

If it were me I would hold him and kiss him and give him his wings...I would not put him through such a big surgery. ( or myself) :eek:

If you feel you are up to it, I would keep him, give him the best quality of life possible for however long he is with you and when he's gone, take up the breeder's offer of another pup.

You never know, he may surprise you. Dogs don't read veterinary text books and some live for far longer than vets think they will.

If you cannot bear the idea of having a dog that's likely to be with you for only a short time, give him his wings.

I'm really sorry this has happened. :)

Edited by poodlefan

If you feel you are up to it, I would keep him, give him the best quality of life possible for however long he is with you and when he's gone, take up the breeder's offer of another pup.

You never know, he may surprise you. Dogs don't read veterinary text books and some live for far longer than vets think they will.

If you cannot bear the idea of having a dog that's likely to be with you for only a short time, give him his wings.

I'm really sorry this has happened. ;)

x 2.

Wishing you and your baby the best, whatever you decide. :)

I am so sorry you are in such a situation ... :D

He is gorgeous... and, he has NO idea what 'ill' is, or that he is probably going to die very soon .. All he knows is his owner loves him very much . :cheer::laugh::)

If it were me I would hold him and kiss him and give him his wings...I would not put him through such a big surgery. ( or myself) :(

I agree with this.

Poor little darling. :D So sorry you have to go through this. ;)

He may lead a normal life for many years yet. I personally would keep him, treat him as a normal dog except perhaps not over do the exercise and when he no longer has quality of life let him go.

Edited by cowanbree

Hi everyone!

I am new to this, because I have only recently gotten my own puppy and I'm just writing this because I really don't know what I should do or who I should talk to about my puppy anymore.

I have recently gotten a puppy, but he has been diagnosed with a congenital heart problem - "Patent Ductus Arteriosus". The vets and the ultrasound technician believe that his heart will fail at anytime, and to operate would cost about 5,000 - 6,000. His left heart has already shown moderate damage at 12 weeks old.

I am an independent student at the moment and I really cannot afford to pay for this operation, I had to save up weeks before just so I could bring him for an ultrasound. So the options are to euthanize him, leave him until he suffers a heart failure, or to operate him. I have called the breeder and she's agreed to exchange another puppy for me, but it will not be the same again... I think she will also have to put him down when the time comes, and this is what I really don't want happening. I am desperate to get him the treatment but I am absolutely running out of ideas and options to get what he deserves, but I really cannot afford it, so I am feeling very useless and helpless at the moment.

There's absolutely no other payment options for the surgery for my situation, and there is a consultation fee if I want to discuss anything further, so I am not able to discuss any other possibilities. I have called many vets consulting the his problem, and many of them didn't think that there is a chance of recovery unless we operate him. I am already taking more shifts just so I could save bits by bits until I have enough but that will take a while and it will only get worse as time passes.

Just when I thought I have found the perfect puppy that makes me feel like I belong, I have to let him go. He's just a little innocent boy who just wants to have fun and see the world... I have not even got the chance to take him for walkies yet, and knowing that he might never get the chance to is really heart breaking and devastating (his heart can not tolerate exercise otherwise it would overwork it causing a failure eventually).

Noone is supporting the idea of operating him so I have absolutely no help or support and I am really really feeling hopeless, I only have a week to decide... so I was just hoping to seek some advise as to what I should do now?

Thanks for your time!

Really appreciate it!

My heart soooo goes out to you. I have given it some serious thought & I would have to set the fellow free, give him some angle wings so he can go the Rainbow bridge Poor little bloke. :thumbsup: I think his quality of life has to govern your ' call' on this very serious problem. I think you will make the best decision, what ever that may be. I too would take up the breeders offer for another puppy, if you do decide to go that way, when you are ready. May I suggest pet insurance if you decide to get another 4 legged best friend, it doesn't work out very expensive & if nothing else gives you peace of mind when you do encounter vet bills. Even for yearly vacinations e.t.c. My thoughts are with you both. Sometimes these things happen for a reason, & at the time you are darned if you know why. Please keep us posted , won't you. Take care.

I agree with the others, give him his wings now. I had a pup with heart problems once and it was hard to watch her struggle just to play with her toys, she passed over in my arms and that was hard to watch, worse then having her PTS. Perhaps the breeder would let you have one out of her next litter in a few months time, that would give you time to come to terms with your loss.

I'm really sorry this has happened. :thumbsup:

I agree with this, as long as you can let him go when you know he has had enough...

I am so sorry that you are in this situation, my heart goes out to you and your beautiful little boy xxxxxx

Im very sorry to hear this about your pup :laugh:

My grandmas sheltie was recently diagonosed with a PDA at almost 6 yrs old!!!

There are several options to rectify a PDA.

One option (and most common for puppies) is surgical ligation. This is where they open the thoracic cavity and physically ligate the extra vessel. This (in vic) is around $1500 so it is a MUCH cheaper option, but the risk is higher and recovery time longer. I dont know if you have this option in WA?

My grandmothers shelties PDA was fixed by occluding the vessel through a catheter and that was $4000.

Whatever you decide, it will be the right decision for you :D

If you want to ask any questions, please ask me.

Sadly if there is already heart damage at 12 weeks, this puppy will probably not live very long. PDA is quite common in all breeds and in crossbreeds and is basically the heart not being finished forming properly. Some, but not all, can be fixed surgically but I know of one some years ago that sounded like your puppy's case. It was decided to operate at 12 weeks but she did not survive the surgery. This is a real possiblilty and then you are still stuck with the vet bill and no puppy.

You basically have two choices now. Either let the puppy live until it starts to deteriorate, which could be weeks or possibly a couple of years, but remember the longer the time is, the longer you have to get attached. The alternative is to euthanase now or return to the breeder.

Whatever you decide, please take up the breeder's offer of a new puppy or ask for a refund so you can buy another puppy later to help you get over the loss. I think it is every breeder's worse nightmare to sell a defective puppy. PDA is usually picked up as a heart murmur at 6-8 weeks and these puppies should not be sold but vets do miss the odd one. Some puppies with really small murmurs grow out of the problem by about 12 weeks and then are perfectly normal but if the problem is worse at 12 weeks then it will get worse, not better.

Have you rung around looking for some cheaper options? $6000 AUS sounds a little on the high side compared to the prices I've seen quoted for fixing a PDA, although I have no idea of the complications of your particular case so it might be entirely fair. But if I were you, I'd investigate further just in case you can get the PDA corrected more cheaply.

If I were in your situation, I would get surgery if at all possible. It's risky, and it's expensive. But if it works, the dog has a very good prognosis for living a normal life.

If surgery isn't an option, I would probably keep him until quality of life deteriorates, before giving him his wings. They tell us that about half of dogs with a PDA will die within a year without surgery, but each dog is different - you don't know how long your boy will last. He might surprise you. :rofl: