Food Aggression Territoriality

I currently have care of a 4 yr old, freshly neutered boy, who is extreamly food/toy territorial. I can, remove the food, myself, but if one of the other dogs even comes remotely near, he will growl etc. whilst defending his food/ toy is to some degree acceptable (well he is a dog) I would like to?? temper? his behaviour if I can. any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Feed him in a separate room...don't give him the need to defend.

Same with toys. If he is alone- he has his toys.

.. how long do you have this dog for?

Until I get the weight off, he is unsuitable for rehomeing until he is a more suitable weight. Temperment wise he's beautiful

Have a chat with a Behaviourist about it, this kind of aggression isn't suiitable for re-homing with another dog as they tend to just go out and attack another dog for touching or even looking at their toys and food.

I'd be doing NILIF for sure and putting away the toys and only doing supervised play - toys shouldn't be a free for all anyhow. Feed seperate.

Hi, I suggest you read some articles on www.dogstardaily.com (search for resource guarding) to get further perspectives on the problem, and some possible immediate action to take while you are waiting to see a behaviourist. At our pet dog classes we always recommend that owners stand near the food bowl while the dog is eating and drop extra, better food into the bowl (from a height, not putting hands down near the bowl) so that the presence of someone near the bowl means good things, not food being removed from the dog.

Sandra

I have a 7 month old Male desexed Border Collie with the same food aggression issues with one of my two cats (who is also male). I do think this has happened however as the male cat has made life difficult for him since we got him (11th September). The cat has attacked him every time he has come close...so now if cat comes near food, toys he growls and if cat attacks then dog pursues. Our other cat (female) can eat from the dogs bowl, follow him, headcuddle him and there have been no agression between these two at all.

Our dog has no issues with me giving or taking his foodbowl or toys, or adding and touching his food whilst he is eating. My three boys are also able to do this.

I hope I haven't hijacked this thread but perhaps advice could benefit all.

Edited by shyfig

Until I get the weight off, he is unsuitable for rehomeing until he is a more suitable weight. Temperment wise he's beautiful

I think you need to be a little more realistic. His temperament is NOT beautiful if he growls over food and toys - he has a problem. you yourself describe him as extreme. A dog doesnt have to show this behaviour and if you find it acceptable I hope you at least have the sense not to rehome this animal to anyone with children.

Get a behaviourist in and make a decision about how managable his temperament is and what he needs. If he lashes out, bares teeth etc I would not be rehoming him

I currently have care of a 4 yr old, freshly neutered boy, who is extreamly food/toy territorial. I can, remove the food, myself, but if one of the other dogs even comes remotely near, he will growl etc. whilst defending his food/ toy is to some degree acceptable (well he is a dog) I would like to?? temper? his behaviour if I can. any suggestions/ideas appreciated.

Just with any unwanted aggressive behavior, easing slowly into the change is important. It takes time and effort on both parts but when your dog realizes that not everybody is out to get his food/toys, he will be less aggressive. I would suggest clicker training. Give rewards when he is not aggressive. Get a trainer if you have to.

Good luck!!!