Advice For Friend, On Lab Puppy

juice

I have a client/friend who would like a lab puppy.

They have waited a long time, they have been renovating their house, and wanted to wait till all the fences were redone, and under the house was sealed off.

So today she ask's me what should she look for in a pup.

I know labs suffer from HD, so what should i tell her?

What is a good hip score to look for?

What else should i tell her to check?

She has a 7 year old son, very gentle boy who is dying for a dog too.

They would like a yellow or choc one, and are happy to wait, in fact she was surprised when i told her she should start looking straight away as pups are often sold before they are born.

She lives in sydney near me.

Any advice on breeders would be much appreciated.

The best thing would be for her to start contacting breeders and attend shows to learn about the breed, I dont really know enough about hip and elbow scores to give any advice, but a good, reputable breeder wouldnt breed a dog whose scores were not up to scratch. Another thing to remember about HD is that it is often environmental, so she shouldnt let the pup get fat or do any strenuous exercise on hard surfaces

Also the breeder should have all breeding stock eye tested as well.

Learn the breed,the standards and what they "like" about the breed and find a breeder who is breeding for the qualities they really like.

Theres more but I can't think atm, and Im also waiting patiently to see what others have to say as I am on the hunt for my lab breeder.

Rather than starting off talking to breeders, she may be better served talking to lab owners and ask about their dogs background, the breeder they purchased from, their level of satisfaction with both the dog and the breeder etc. etc. because in all honesty, a breeder can tell you anything and you have no choice but to believe it. But their best advertising, and those who can give the feedback a potential owner needs to hear, is a pet owner who has bought their pup from a breeder.

At present I am making a new page for my website on advice for buying a puppy.

In short my advice is to research the health issues in your chosen breed that are testable & ask to see the written results of the tests.

Ask what your health guarantee is & ask for it in writing.

Ask for a written vet check.

Ask for vet, breeder or previous puppy buyers references if you feel the need.

Visit the breeders home or if buying interstate see if you can get a friend or relative to visit for you.

If you are not happy with the environment of the dogs & puppies, they do not look clean & healthy or you do not feel comfortable with the breeder leave.

All puppies are cute but do not be tempted if all is not right.