In A Litter.....

giraffez

We have picked our new puppy owners pups based on all their circumstances - what we have also found is that the new owners have picked the ones

we have chosen for them with no prompting from ourselves. We have always taken the one(s) we are keeping out of the equation though. We match up

based on lifestyle, children, other pets, personality etc.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corvus, maybe the tests should be done on the breeding animals, instead of the baby puppies. This would give us less accurate information, but if recorded on pedigrees would build up a good picture over time.

That is the idea in Sweden with the Swedish Working Dogs dog mentality test. Well, that's what some people seem to think the idea is. I can't work out if it really is or not.

I'm interested in puppies because I'm interested in how stable these things are and when they become stable if they do. That's mostly just to help everyone better understand what is going on and how easily traits can be influenced by environment. Personally, the hope is that breeding animals would be tested if there were a simple enough way to do it, which there already is, really. It's just not very accessible unless you're picking puppies to train for police dog work. And not very systematic, because at the end of the day no one has all the answers and there is still a fair bit of guesswork. I don't think anyone will ever have all the answers, but the more pieces of the puzzle we have, the more informed our decisions are.

Anyway, I think it would be fantastic if breeders tested the temperaments of their breeding animals. I know one or two who try to select for temperament but sometimes find it difficult. I guess because temperament is so much more than what a puppy is born with.

I agree with others who have said which puppy you pick depends on your goals and the purpose you are getting the puppy for. I would pick the driviest most out going pup in the litter, but other people would be better off picking a more calm and quiet puppy.

I agree with others who have said which puppy you pick depends on your goals and the purpose you are getting the puppy for. I would pick the driviest most out going pup in the litter, but other people would be better off picking a more calm and quiet puppy.

When looking at pups for myself. I pick the nutter :rainbowbridge:

When looking at pups for myself. I pick the nutter :rainbowbridge:

I always say I like to pick the pup that has the devil in it, I can't help it, I just have a soft spot for them :rofl:

Thanks for the link newfsie. Did you find much difference in your pick puppy at week 5 to week 7?
For our last puppy we selected her with the Volhard system.......we saw the puppies three times. At week 5,6 and seven. i was very lucky as I had pick of the litter and was allowed that much time to pick. We first saw the pups at four weeks, but that was to early to interact. I was also lucky in that the pup came from a four puppy litter, which was well socialized with lots of other of the breeders dogs from four weeks on. Katy has been the most amazing puppy to train and deal with. She is very happy, has such confidence and is very polite with other dogs. Confident and polite with people and just a joy to own. I think it is very important to pick your pup and to have it well socialized early and that can only be done by the breeder at that very early age. i wish you good luck in your selection.

here is a link

PS our breeder did help with the conformation selection as she was much more experienced, but I am very interested in training, so I chose the Volhard system

http://www.workingdogs.com/testing_volhard.htm

No we stayed with the same one all along....She was not the most forward, but she was very interested and retrieved a small toy and followed a ball each time. She lured really easily into a sit and drop. the others were also very friendly, but I thought one was too pushy and a bit of a bully. We spent hours just observing the litter interact with everything and everyone. It was such a huge education for us. We thoroughly enjoyed it. the pups at week five were kept in an indoor outdoor pen, where they were outside by choice with some older pups. their parent were also both there as was another couple of bitches Young and not the dams of any pups). it was just amazing to see the interaction of all the dogs. We have had a few newfie pups before and even from the same breeder, but her socialization/rearing has changed and I can tell with the pups. Katy is just such an polite dog with other dogs and that is not our teaching, but the other dogs, both older pups and adult dogs. And to follow on she has had our girls keep her in check and has been at our Obedience Club since eight weeks to meet other vaccinated dogs. i made certain choices this time and stuck with them and i am extremely happy with the results :thumbsup:

To add, I want to do water rescue with my dog and we will start water training this Summer. Both her parents are very friendly and steady, but have no water rescue record. Retrieving was very important to us, it had to be natural to the pup

Edited by newfsie