Sigma 30mm 1.4

anniek

I'm thinking this might be my next lens.

I need something a bit wider than 50mm for the greys as they are obviously big dogs :D

What are the options (if any) wider than 30mm, and would they distort too much for fairly close up portraits?

Must say I like the sound and price of this lens.

thanks

annieK

Edited by anniek

I adore my Sigma 30 1.4 and wouldn't trade it. If you are over on POTN, check out Lloyd's magic with the Sigma 30 - he's picturecrazy there.

You can also check out the 28mm options. Canon does a 35mm L that's very nice - but for the money & difference in image, frankly, I'll stick with my Sigma :D

Once you go wider than 28-30 you start to get a completely different feel to images. I love my Canon 24L but it's not a fab lens for portraits as one needs to be careful with the edges. Some others make lenses in the 20-24 range and they are very very good for not much money. Again, I personally wouldn't be headed towards these for portraits.

Mine doesn't hunt much, that's one reason I adore it so!

Mine often plays up in low light. Maybe it's because it wasn't originally designed for Four Thirds, but indoors when trying to focus through the bars on a dog kennel, it can be a nightmare. My 12-60 Zuiko, meanwhile, isn't as troublesome, but it doesn't have a wide enough aperture at 30mm. So either the shutter speed is too slow or the ISO is too high (ie noise). So I have to grin & bare it... Mind you, if I can do the photos without the presence of the bars on the kennels, that is I'm in the kennel with the dog, then the Sigma does become more reliable, but it will still go hunting for time to time, although it is more likely to be slow in focusing.

I will state, though, given sufficient light, I've never had a problem.

Mine often plays up in low light. Maybe it's because it wasn't originally designed for Four Thirds, but indoors when trying to focus through the bars on a dog kennel, it can be a nightmare. My 12-60 Zuiko, meanwhile, isn't as troublesome, but it doesn't have a wide enough aperture at 30mm. So either the shutter speed is too slow or the ISO is too high (ie noise). So I have to grin & bare it... Mind you, if I can do the photos without the presence of the bars on the kennels, that is I'm in the kennel with the dog, then the Sigma does become more reliable, but it will still go hunting for time to time, although it is more likely to be slow in focusing.

Will let you know how it goes = hopefully by the weekend :)

I have good results with ISO 3200 so I don't think I will have any problems :laugh:

Will let you know how it goes = hopefully by the weekend :)

I have good results with ISO 3200 so I don't think I will have any problems :laugh:

It's not the ISO speed that's the problem, for the Sigma, but simply low light in my experience. Hence I made the comparision with the 12-60mm Zuiko. Mind you I'm pushing it to the absolute limit. But by all means let us know how you go. It's just that for the Olympus E-30 it is a balancing act when you go over ISO 800 in respect to noise. Get it wrong & it's awful. Mind you the E-5 is on the way :rofl:

May I also suggest, when using the Sigma, the best aperature hovers around 5.6f (or maybe a stop higher). That's been my experience. Under that, especially at 1.4f (where most of my indoors work is at), & you'll get soft focus. Again that's been my experience, although kja could give you a better idea given the brand she uses in comparison to yours.

Good luck & happy shooting :)

Edited by DMA

On all of my Canon bodies the Sigma at 1.4 is great - I wouldn't see any reason to have a 1.4 lens that didn't give you sharp enough photos wide open! :rofl:

Alas that's not my experience, so I think it is really about it not being designed but adapted to Four Thirds. Here's some examples at 1.4f under the conditions I explained above:

160910.jpg

160910a.jpg

160910b.jpg

170910a.jpg

170910b.jpg

170910c.jpg

Well I've had it about half an hour and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it!

A few quick happy snaps.

First click - no hunting - indoors wide open ISO 2500

first.jpg

then out on to the deck

IMG_6709.jpg

IMG_6699.jpg

IMG_6682.jpg

Will need to have a good play around with the 1.4 DOF, but so far :laugh:

Will give it a really good workout at the beach first thing in the morning.

did I mention I LOVE it :laugh:

Awesome - glad you are loving it! 1.4 is a bear, but once you get the hang of it the results are worth it.

Don't forget that you CAN stop it down, too. Even up to 3.5ish or so will give you a great shallow DOF but just enough more to keep the whole eye in focus plane, for instance.

Can't wait to see more!

Don't forget that you CAN stop it down, too. Even up to 3.5ish or so will give you a great shallow DOF but just enough more to keep the whole eye in focus plane, for instance.

Can't wait to see more!

Yup I generally take the 1.8 to the beach (because it's cheap and light weight) and use it at around 3.5 - 4.5 for action shots. So will do the same with the 1.4

Well actually, I'll try the whole range in the morning - weather permitting at 6am!

A few quick happy snaps.

IMG_6699.jpg

Great photos all of them. This one in particular I thought stood out.

Just out of interest, what were your lighting conditions?

A few quick happy snaps.

IMG_6699.jpg

Great photos all of them. This one in particular I thought stood out.

Just out of interest, what were your lighting conditions?

Pretty gloomy here in Melbourne this afternoon.

Was pleased with this shot - taken outside on the covered deck - but pointing down away from the light towards a black dog can be a challenge.

ISO 200 - 1/1000 for this shot centre weighted metering