Strangers Photographing Both You And Your Dog Whilst Out In Public

Tatelina

Having photos taken without permission  

155 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have an issue with a stranger taking a photo/s of YOU AND YOUR DOG out in public without permission?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Do you have an issue with a stranger posting photo/s online without permission, taken of YOU AND YOUR DOG whilst out in public?

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Would your responses from the above 2 questions change if it was a professional photographer using the photos for their portfolio?

• Yes
    • No

I guess for me, it comes down to asking can you easily ask permission of all the people in your shot? If you can't, then you don't. If you can, I think you should - especially if there are additional factors that might worry someone (like photographing a child, photographing someone in a bikini, photographing someone in a country where people often view photography as dodgy or invasive, if you're planning on selling copies of the photo, etc).

What if I'm not planning on selling the photos? What if I'm not even planning on putting them on the net but just keeping them because they're an intimate diary of my travel? Do I then need to ask permission?

:D I just keep coming up with more and more questions. Sorry but it's obviously something that really interests me.

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. However if the person explained why they were taking the pics and if I felt they were being honest I would probably be ok with it. Depends on the impression I get of the person.

Old guy, long hair, 3 day growth, sandals.

Well dressed woman, couple of gold rings, nice makeup.

Would either of those two examples give you a different impression?

(there is a point to my question - I'll get to it in a bit)

even though i think i know where you are going with this i will answer honestly.

the guy would make me more suspicious

if you dont go the way i am thinking i will post later why i am wrong

I see where that's going too......if you look suspicious then the use of the photo looks suspicious too....

Nope. However if the person explained why they were taking the pics and if I felt they were being honest I would probably be ok with it. Depends on the impression I get of the person.

even though i think i know where you are going with this i will answer honestly.

the guy would make me more suspicious

Especially if it looked like he was using a cute fluffy puppy to attract the children. That would be even more suspicious.

yes. i also edited my post to say that i was wrong thinking that way and i'll tell you why,

i have worked with people who abused kids and it not just guys who do it. so it is very wrong to think gender makes a person less creepy even though there are many fewer women who sexually abuse kids and the modus operandi is usually different.

eta not sure if this is what raz was getting at though

and if they were taking photos of adults it wouldnt make a difference to me

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

I see where that's going too......if you look suspicious then the use of the photo looks suspicious too....

OK here's the story - and this actually happened.

A guy was forcibly removed BY POLICE from an event because he was taking photos of kids in a fancy dress parade. All the parents knew who he was because he'd been taking photos at similar events countless times. He looked suspicious because

He was a man

He had a 'funny' name (the guy is European)

And he had expensive equipment (I kid you not).

His wife who had accompanied him to all the other events, was not told to leave.

The guy is a professional photo journalist.

Edited by raz

What if I'm not planning on selling the photos? What if I'm not even planning on putting them on the net but just keeping them because they're an intimate diary of my travel? Do I then need to ask permission?

:D I just keep coming up with more and more questions. Sorry but it's obviously something that really interests me.

I think you should, if you can easily do so. But I don't think it's as important as if you were planning on selling them or putting them on the net.

Depends also on what the people are doing, and wearing, I think.

I wonder if how people feel about this issue depends on whether you are a photographer? And maybe also on how private a person you are?

I'm not a photographer and I AM a very private person. But I also understand a little of how photography and copyright work and I think that is what makes the difference to my perspective.

For example, if you ask Mr Ellz the same questions, he will answer them very differently because he is a VERY private AND very suspicious person by nature and sees the whole privacy issue very differently to me.

Ohhhh! First impressions can be a killer!....I gather the police didn't ask for his credentials either..

I dont know what the hell happened because unfortunately I never saw him again. It was bloody disgraceful.

Did they remove because a parent was uncomfortable & complained, or just because they took it into their heads to do so? Also, was he wearing identification so parents knew who he was?

I guess I can see both sides of this. If he did look at all suspect, then as a parent, I'd want him checked out (not necessarily chucked out, just checked out!) But assuming he's up to no good simply because he's male, or european, or has an expensive camera is also daft.

A guy was forcibly removed BY POLICE from an event because he was taking photos of kids in a fancy dress parade. All the parents knew who he was because he'd been taking photos at similar events countless times. He looked suspicious because

He was a man

His wife who had accompanied him to all the other events, was not told to leave.

because he is male and taking photo's of kids he is targetted. if i was a guy i would be really peeved at what's going on at the moment

I meant the impression I got of them after talking to them, the reasons they gave for taking the pics etc, not so much what they looked like. I learned a long time ago that appearances don't mean much!

I think you should, if you can easily do so. But I don't think it's as important as if you were planning on selling them or putting them on the net.

Depends also on what the people are doing, and wearing, I think.

I wonder if how people feel about this issue depends on whether you are a photographer? And maybe also on how private a person you are?

Yep I'm sure the 'side' of the camera you are on usually makes a difference in opinion.

I can't wait to have the baby just to see if I change my mind about paranoid parents and their baby photography :D

He was a man

because he is male and taking photo's of kids he is targetted. if i was a guy i would be really peeved at what's going on at the moment

That's nothing. I know of someone on a photo forum I'm on who visited Australia maybe...two years back or so. He was taking photos of PARROTS along the road and some guys yelled out 'pervert!' at him!

That's nothing. I know of someone on a photo forum I'm on who visited Australia maybe...two years back or so. He was taking photos of PARROTS along the road and some guys yelled out 'pervert!' at him!

*shakes head and wonders where it will all end*

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy

:D :D :D Oh my lordy. Sorry for laughing. I must be a pervert as well then.

Staranais, he was removed because one person cracked the shits that he had a better camera than she did and the excuse to ring the police was because he was a strange man taking photos of kids. She knew who he was because he'd been at all the events running up to it. Clincher was, his wife wasnt told to stop taking photos of the kids.

he was removed because one person cracked the shits that he had a better camera than she did and the excuse to ring the police was because he was a strange man taking photos of kids. She knew who he was because he'd been at all the events running up to it. Clincher was, his wife wasnt told to stop taking photos of the kids.

That's BAD.... :D

I must admit that my reaction to the question was biased - I'm a mother - I shouldn't judge people by the way they look. Put in that situation (being at an event) I would probably have asked who he was first...

I must admit that my reaction to the question was biased - I'm a mother - I shouldn't judge people by the way they look. Put in that situation (being at an event) I would probably have asked who he was first...

We all do so dont worry about that Amanda. Better safe than sorry when it comes to kiddies but the thing was, we all knew who he was (and he didnt look like the guy in my scenario earlier, that was just an example. He was neat and tidy, always polite, took fantastic photos, never got in anyone's way, wife is really lovely as well. He travels around the world taking photos of people and their dogs. It was a crying shame and such a bloody embarrassment).

Even better, the person who reported him and had him humiliated infront of a hell of a lot of people

the official photographer on the day.

Disgusting!

I've got another true story which I think takes me full circle.

Before I got married a photographer was recommended to me. Lovely shot on his business card of a bride on the beach with her two toddlers in the buff. Really cute photo. Got to his studio and immediately got the seedy feeling - and that was before we were taken into his office where there were naked shots of pubescent kids on the wall. Lovely photos but it really wasnt feeling right. then he said he'd come back to our hotel for 'sensual shots in the spa bath' and get this, he asked if we had any little nieces or nephews who could join us in the bath.

We didnt use him.

Now here is a guy who not only was asking for permission, but was handing us a contract to sign.

I guess the moral of the story is, trust your instincts.

Lovely shot on his business card of a bride on the beach with her two toddlers in the buff. Really cute photo. Got to his studio and immediately got the seedy feeling - and that was before we were taken into his office where there were naked shots of pubescent kids on the wall. Lovely photos but it really wasnt feeling right. then he said he'd come back to our hotel for 'sensual shots in the spa bath' and get this, he asked if we had any little nieces or nephews who could join us in the bath.

:laugh:

Lovely shot on his business card of a bride on the beach with her two toddlers in the buff. Really cute photo. Got to his studio and immediately got the seedy feeling - and that was before we were taken into his office where there were naked shots of pubescent kids on the wall. Lovely photos but it really wasnt feeling right. then he said he'd come back to our hotel for 'sensual shots in the spa bath' and get this, he asked if we had any little nieces or nephews who could join us in the bath.

:laugh:

oh yeah. We both felt so bloody uncomfortable, and that creep vibe started before we even got passed the front door.