Easy-care Coats

aussielover

Oodles have easy-care wool coats....

This is the result of two pups having a great time running around today after the storms in sydney:

the photos are taken about an hour after both dogs had been towel "dried" (Lab for about 1 minute, poodlex for 10 mins)

Lab pup:

post-31284-1289379318_thumb.jpg

Poodle x pup:

post-31284-1289379406_thumb.jpg

Lab pup was just as dirty and played and rolled in just as much mud as the poodle x pup.

Lab took 5 mins to clean up

Poodle x is still not clean and is still wet, dirty and a bit stinky.

Although the lab sheds a bit, I personally would rather sweep my home every few days, than have a muddy dog running through house or spend an hour washing my dog everytime it went in some mud.

Personally i think advertising poodle crosses as having a low maintenance or easy-care coat totally misleading.

Even my longish haired Aussie shep was way easier to maintain than this Poodle cross.

The hair has sort of gone into dreadlocks due to having a wavy texture (i believe it is advertised as fleece) rather than poodle curls.

Both dogs have great personalities though and are great fun!

I think people need to be more aware of the high maintenance of some of the DD coat types though.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As someone who grew up with mini-poodles and now has a bitza puppy - probably bc x lab (so you can imagine the fur!) - I've been completely surprised again and again at his non-stick surface! :D

Fear dirty puddles no longer!

Go through the muddy wet grass without hesitation!

Roll in the mud? Why not brave puppy!

Etc Etc.... :rofl:

This would equally apply to any coated dog. If you want difficult try a purebred wheaten terrier that's soaked and covered in mud and see how long he takes to get dry. I'm betting your oodle would take less time.

haha yes you're probably right, one of Mindy's friends is a wheaten and when he gets dirty he looks a lot like the oodle. In fact I embarrasingly thought he was a labradoodle :D when we first met him.

The thing is though, I'm sure Wheaten breeders would let potential puppy buyers know what the grooming requirements are.

This would equally apply to any coated dog. If you want difficult try a purebred wheaten terrier that's soaked and covered in mud and see how long he takes to get dry. I'm betting your oodle would take less time.

haha yes you're probably right, one of Mindy's friends is a wheaten and when he gets dirty he looks a lot like the oodle. In fact I embarrasingly thought he was a labradoodle :D when we first met him.

The thing is though, I'm sure Wheaten breeders would let potential puppy buyers know what the grooming requirements are.

Oh yes, definitely.

I agree any long coated dog would be the same, My girls today rolled in horse poo, home for a quick tub under the dryer for 5 mins good as new!! :D it just part of owning a long coated breed or cross breed as the case may be. Each to thier own I guess, I love the fact that I have no dog hair on my clothes or furntiure or carpet or anywhere really apart from a little in the hair brush from ears and face occasionally.

eta: I was fully aware of the coat my guys would have when I got each one.

Edited by tlc

As someone who grew up with mini-poodles and now has a bitza puppy - probably bc x lab (so you can imagine the fur!) - I've been completely surprised again and again at his non-stick surface! :rofl:

I hearby rename Max- Teflon! :o:rofl: :D

Sorry - its still 'Poo-Machine' to me..... :D

I agree any long coated dog would be the same, My girls today rolled in horse poo, home for a quick tub under the dryer for 5 mins good as new!! :D it just part of owning a long coated breed or cross breed as the case may be. Each to thier own I guess, I love the fact that I have no dog hair on my clothes or furntiure or carpet or anywhere really apart from a little in the hair brush from ears and face occasionally.

eta: I was fully aware of the coat my guys would have when I got each one.

Unless they're a long coated Spitz breed - Lappie/Husky/Mal/Jap Spitz/etc. Their coats are Teflon and I never have to bath Akira after she's been in the mud, unless she's rolled in something smelly because it dries and falls out.

Promoting crossbreeds is against the forum rules just FYI.

:) I can't see anyone promoting a crossbreed - aren't people just talking about what their own dog's fur is like?

As for my own dogs, they seem pretty easy to dry although Elbie has a habit of running away from the towel and then shaking out the water all over me. :D Lucky I have Easy Care Skin.

Edited by koalathebear

Have you been spying on me Sheridan? LOL

I have found, however, that if you can let the mud dry, it's far, far easier to just brush it out :) That isn't always an option though - case in point, when your wheaten decides to go wading in Derwent ' Sludge' and your wheaten dog turns black. Try 3 baths and a shower later and she still smelt like a swamp.

I agree any long coated dog would be the same

No, not all of them. My long silky coated dogs drop dirt and mud very well. They can be muddy one hour and look clean as anything an hour later.

Edited by Diva

Guest belgian.blue
My medium coated Aussie girl has a Teflon coat :) The other day she went in a creek and had mud caked on her legs and belly... we didn't even rinse her, she was just magically clean again after an hour or so!

Same as Ivy, she's a self cleaning girl. Apart from the sand at the beach, mixed with salt water and it sticks in her leg fur but a quick brush and it's gone.

It takes a couple of hours for my guys to self clean, once they are dry dirt etc just drops out or brushes out but I find with the stinky stuff it brushes out but the smell is still there.

That's just what I was thinking. After an hour or so Saxon ends up looking clean to me after a run in the dirt/mud/dust, or a swim, but if I don't choose to ignore it for the sake of not bathing him every day ( :) ), I do notice that he seems to be a slightly darker colour than yesterday, and a bit smelly eventually, even after a brush...

I don't mind putting in a bit of effort with Saxon's coat, it's worth it, but I do envy those Teflon dogs! I think the important point is that many dogs need effort to keep them clean, healthy and comfortable, it would just be great if people were always made aware of that when they got their dog, or at least not told otherwise. I just feel bad for dogs (and the owners) who need the care but end up with owners who were looking for a dog that wouldn't need regular grooming and either don't know or aren't prepared to do it :D

Agree. I'm not trying to promote oodles but my MSx poodles coat is MUCH easier to care for than my pure MS's coat. She has knots if she isn't brushed every second day. I never need to brush him between grooms and he doesn't knot at all.

I don't agree with oodle breeders making claims about easy to care for coats, just as I don't agree with generalisations that oodle coats are somehow harder to manage than any long coat.

Agree. I'm not trying to promote oodles but my MSx poodles coat is MUCH easier to care for than my pure MS's coat. She has knots if she isn't brushed every second day. I never need to brush him between grooms and he doesn't knot at all.

I don't agree with oodle breeders making claims about easy to care for coats, just as I don't agree with generalisations that oodle coats are somehow harder to manage than any long coat.

No truer comment has been made...long coated dogs of the maltese, poodle genre is just the same as so far as management is concerned irrespective of whether it is purebred or crossbred.