Car For 2 Big Dogs

Flash30Aus

Hi Folks,

We're thinking about potentially upgrading our old Nissan Patrol with a new car.

I was hoping to get something smaller, but still need space for the 2 dogs. I'm thinking 2 doggie crates in the back are pretty big - so what does everyone else have?

Any ideas or reviews would be muchly appreciated.

Thanks,

Christie

Yes, probably a nice idea to share abit more about what I'm after... LOL

I basically need a 4x4 (we have horses), and it needs to be comfortable in the back seat for my daughter (5yrs old).

I'm looking at cars around the $35K mark for a brand newie. Things on the short list were the Nissan Dualis *drool* (but not alot of space in the back for dogs, a Rav4, Nissan X-Trail, and Mitsubishi Triton ($$) or Outlander.

A commercial van wouldn't suit as it needs to be a family car/4x4. We also have a Toyota Corolla which is also old :cry: But we plan on keeping that as its a great car. Just not good for 2 big doggies :grouphug:

Thanks,

Christie

The X-Trail is very popular with show and dog sports folk. I had one for a week when my Magna was off the road and it was a very nice car to drive. Its on my short list for my next car. They are good value.

I'm not a fan of having the dogs in the back of the commercials because you can't keep them cool back there in summer. That said, my friend has a Triton and its a very comfortable car but way more expensive than your budget I think. I can't comment on the others on your list.

Edited by poodlefan

I think if you need to tow horses you may run into trouble with the outlanders suspension and towing capacity. The Xtrail and Rav would be the same with the towing capacity, I guess it depends how big your horse float is and how many horses you regularly tow at once. My MIL has a Rav and I'd never own one after driving hers and the room inside isn't fantastic.

I know our local vet had an outlander and got rid of it very quickly as the boot area wasn't big enough and the suspension wasn't good enough to carry her vet gear let alone tow anyting with weight. She now owns a Hyundai Santa Fe.

As for the Triton, we have a mate that races speedway with us and he tows a fully enclosed 6 metre trailer with car and all inside, total weight approx 2.7t and it has no dramas at all. For a cheaper option though I would look very closely at the BT-50 3L CRTD dual cab with a canapoy on the back. They have heaps of torque and plenty of room in the back, put an insulated canapoy with whirly birds on top and you are set, would tick all boxes for you!

Hi Guys,

We don't tow anymore, the horses are on agistment so we ride on the agistment property and thats pretty much it. We sold our float a few years back.

By the time we get our own land they will probably be retired!!! :cry:

So, towing is not really the big consideration. When we finally replace the Corolla we will probably end up with a bigger 4WD again for the husband, which will help with towing in the future.

Is the Territory a 4WD? I haven't looked into that one...

Thanks,

Christie

Hi Guys,

We don't tow anymore, the horses are on agistment so we ride on the agistment property and thats pretty much it. We sold our float a few years back.

By the time we get our own land they will probably be retired!!! :mad

So, towing is not really the big consideration. When we finally replace the Corolla we will probably end up with a bigger 4WD again for the husband, which will help with towing in the future.

Thanks,

Christie

Territories are AWD not 4WD as are the outlanders and ravs, I'm not sure on the xtrails, I think they are 4wd. Put it this way if you need a 4wd then I probably wouldn't buy any of them, I'd be looking at navaras, bt-50s, pathfinders, ranger, izuza dmax etc, they actually have 4wd capabilities. Although getting one in a dual cab for $35k brand new may be near impossible.

Edit: why do you require 4wd?

Edited by shelby-001

Hi Guys,

By the time we get our own land they will probably be retired!!! :mad

Thanks,

Christie

Territories are AWD not 4WD as are the outlanders and ravs, I'm not sure on the xtrails, I think they are 4wd. Put it this way if you need a 4wd then I probably wouldn't buy any of them, I'd be looking at navaras, bt-50s, pathfinders, ranger, izuza dmax etc, they actually have 4wd capabilities. Although getting one in a dual cab for $35k brand new may be near impossible.

Yep, Territories are AWD and a bit higher off the ground than most passenger cars. However you'd have to be a nut to try rock hopping in one. They probably aren't much chop beyond gravel and slow paddock driving.

Hi Shelby,

The 4WD part was really just a safety thing - I've done so much dirt track driving in my Corolla I'm after something a little sturdier. Although the car isn't trashed, a lesser car probably would have been :mad

Having said that we don't really off-road much apart from paddock and dirt track driving. No mountain climbling or anything.

The BT-50 is a new one to add to the list - it looks good, and relatively cheap.

Christie

I have a Holden Adventra - All Wheel drive as opposed to 4WD (not sure what the diff is but guess it coz its not so high off the ground ?). Its plenty roomy for dogs and kids, and I love it! But you cant buy them from new anymore, if thats what you wanted.

This is my baby.

MyBaby.jpg

Edited by Rysup

Hi Shelby,

The 4WD part was really just a safety thing - I've done so much dirt track driving in my Corolla I'm after something a little sturdier. Although the car isn't trashed, a lesser car probably would have been :mad

Having said that we don't really off-road much apart from paddock and dirt track driving. No mountain climbling or anything.

The BT-50 is a new one to add to the list - it looks good, and relatively cheap.

Christie

If that's the case, an AWD would be sufficient.

Generally the running gear in a 4wd is a lot stronger than an AWD, clearance is certainly higher normally in a 4wd. The 4wd will have the option to be rear wheel drive when the 4wd is not necessary as opposed to an AWD being permanently driven on all 4. Also a 4wd has low 4 and high 4 which basically changes the gearing ratio to give you more torque etc and driving capabilities at lower revs, an AWD has none of those features, if you aren't looking at getting bogged, driving in loose sand or pulling boats etc out of tough spots, AWD will supply the safetly you are looking for!

I have the Territory. I have the AWD and it is fine around our property, we have lots of hills and it's a bit rocky, but I wouldn't call it an off roader. They're good at the beach too. They have heaps of space and are soooo comfy to drive. We towed a huge 6 x 3m trailer from Brisbane to Sydney with no trouble at all.

The biggest downfall is the cost of fuel. I don't do city driving and I still average around 12.9L/100kms. When we towed to Sydney we were using 22L/100kms :mad They were supposed to bring out the diesel this year but that hasn't happened. My lease is coming up and thought I adore my Territory I can't keep spending $140 per week on fuel just to take my kids to and from school.

I'll be interested in what others suggest to you.

We have a mitsubishi triton 4x4, 2 big dogs and a 5 year old!!! We LOVE it!

The only thing is getting the dogs in the back, we don't have a ramp so are lifting them in and out. The tray is enclosed and it has a partition window between there and the cab, which can be operated by the driver.

My OH has had a few modifications done. We only got it earlier this year so don't have anything bad to say about it yet!

I have the Territory AWD too and love it. I thought fuel consumption would be worse than it is. I'm averaging 12.6 l/100kms and it's probably an even mix of open highway and suburban traffic. The only catch is that my elderly dog finds the back a bit high to jump into.

I have an x ttail and I LOVE it!

we have been to darwin and back in it, towing a 17ft caravan FULL of belongings, 2 largish dogs, 4 cats and a bird!! :rofl: :rolleyes:

It managed fine in 48 degree weather, we were all lovely and cool, and also in winter below freezing in the outback.

It's terribly light on fuel, I was amazed at how well it went and how little fuel it uses.

It has drawers in the back for all the doggy stuff etc. :D

Can be manual or auto, really comfortable.

We had a patrol for many years and loved it.

Good luck with your car hunt. :)