Green Lipped Mussel For Dogs

Staranais

Does anyone know how much chondroitin, omega oil, etc is actually in a fresh green lipped mussel? I've looked but can't find the information anywhere on the internet. Hoping someone here may know.

I can buy these at the supermarket for about 20c each, am wondering if it's more economical to simply give the dog a mussel each day, than buy the powder.

I have been using up some sample bags of Sasha's Blend & it is obviously made up of mussels ...you can smell them a mile away. Not that I mind, as I quite like the odd mussel myself. When you feed them the whole mussel, do you give them the shell :p

I wouldn't be feeding the shell as the shell could do a lot of damage if it cut the dogs mouth while it was chewing on it.

As to feeding whole mussels.........I would make sure they were super fresh so as to avoid food poisoning. I would think feeding powder or capsules would be better as they would be a higher concentrate in the nutrients you want. ??

No, you don't feed the shell, the goodies are all in the meat. :laugh:

I'd be feeding human quality frozen, Tapferhund, same as they use in restaurants, so no risk of food poisoning.

I don't know if it's more economical to feed mussels fresh, or to get the powder, since I don't know how many mussels go into making one tsp of powder or capsule. I'd rather feed fresh, if it's economic. But the information is pretty hard to get.

The best I can do is work out that there's about 65g protein in the powder, and 25g protein per 100g mussel meat, so you could assume that the powder is 2.5 times as concentrated as the meat, so one mussel (10g) would equal about 4g of powder? And you're supposed to feed about 2000mg of powder per day, so one mussel every 1 - 2 days should be a good amount? There's a lot of assumptions in those calculations, though, so I was hoping someone had more accurate info!