Senior Dry Food

Rebanne

what is a good dry food for an older dog but is not a "light" food? Most senior or mature dry food seems to be also for weight control which is not needed.

Advance do a senior food, I have quite a few clients who have their oldies on it and do well. It has added joint support ingredients.

Why does the dog need a senior food? I don't know much about it since I've never had a dog that's truly elderly, but as far as I know there's not much difference between an adult maintenance and a senior food except less calories & protein, and more fillers, plus perhaps some added glucosamine and other joint food.

So I'm thinking, why can't you just feed a premium adult food and supplement with glucosamine/MSM & fish oil?

Royal Canin does mature foods in small/med/large dogs.

Actually their mobility support prescription food has therapeutic levels of Green Lipped Mussel powder and good levels of omega 3 & 6 so it's a bit of a favourite with our clients but you might need to feed slightly more to maintain current weight, just seems the dogs build a bit of muscle on it and thin down a little.

I don't need it for the joint extra's though they won't hurt. I have an older dog who is on the skinny side but I don't want to feed the working dog formula's for the extra fat because of the high protein levels. Blood work has come back ok. Piper has gone off his food to a certain extent so I am trying him on different things. He is enjoying the tin food and dog rolls stuff I have bought. Must think all his Christmas' have come at once cause I never normally feed that. He is eating supercoat sensitive at the moment as long as I don't give him too much and chicken wings. He's lost around 3 or 4 kilos. I am now feeding him 4 times a day, small meals cause he won't eat his normal size.

Vet thinks he might have a heart problem but he's very hard to examine due to his extreme reaction to being at the vet, we'll go back next week and see if we can get a better listen by examining him in the car. Vet suspects fluid build up and he's started on a short course of frusemide. The vets have advance senior, will have a look at the bag next week.

I also find it slightly frustrating that senior dog kibbles are aimed at weight loss. My 11yo dog was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year and he has lost a lot of weight (around 4kgs). Rather than a senior dry food Im using Nutro Lamb & Rice and barf patties and feeding him 1.5 of the recommended serves for his ideal weight per day (i.e. he requires 3 cups nutro or 500g barf patty daily so I give one full serve of dry or raw and then half of the other) which is helping to put back some weight.

Sorry about your boy Sezling :laugh:

I've never had to worry about feeding an old dog anything different before than what they have eaten all their life. But Piper has refused quite a few different foods lately, so if "junk" food keeps him happy, junk food he can have. At least the chicken wings are healthier.

I came across the same issue with Kaisie - she NEEDS some fat in her diet.

She was doing well with a bit of the Nutro Lamb and Rice + Raw before they took it off the shelves.

I've just sourced another pack but have not opened it yet. I don't know if the formula has changed.