Diet Info Given By Vet

vicsta81

My friends vet told her that her 'Australian Bulldog' shouldn't have bones because since it's a non-sporting 'breed' and it wont be active enough to work off the high fat content of the bones. He also hates chicken necks. She has been told to feed her on boiled chicken breast and rice and grains but suggested nothing else. Advice on diet was given by the vet because she was told to change the diet or the bulldog will end up diabetic like her other dog has just been diagnosed as.

I asked her how boiled chicken breast alone would fulfil the dogs nutritional requirements but I didn't get an answer for that.

I just don't feel that boiled chicken breast alone can be healthy for her. I'm essentially wondering if this is just me that thinks that way (I know I would never feed my kids like that long term, they've only had a diet that bland if they've had to because of the runs or something). Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to put this without being met with a 'you're not a vet so how would you know?' type attitude.

Edited by vicsta81

I asked her how boiled chicken breast alone would fulfil the dogs nutritional requirements but I didn't get an answer for that.

I just don't feel that boiled chicken breast alone can be healthy for her. I'm essentially wondering if this is just me that thinks that way (I know I would never feed my kids like that long term, they've only had a diet that bland if they've had to because of the runs or something).

No, it wouldn't be, not if fed as a long term sole diet. Off the top of my head there's absolutely no calcium there, for a start, and very little iron, zinc, or vit A.

But there's nothing wrong with adding a bit of chicken to a balanced kibble, though it won't do much for the teeth. So it depends exactly what the vet is suggesting. Is he suggesting chicken and rice as a sole diet?

I don't personally think that weight gain is a good reason to cut bones from a dog's diet. I'd think you could still feed one or two a week, pick low fat ones, and cut the kibble back a little bit if the dog's getting porky.

Also if anyone has any suggestions on how to put this without being met with a 'you're not a vet so how would you know?' type attitude.

Tell the vet you don't think a rice and chicken only diet would meet the NRC guidelines. Or find a vet that does know something about nutrition! They are out there. :confused:

Nope no high quality dry food otherwise it wouldn't bother me so much

From what she has told me it's meant as a sole diet which imo is asking for problems due to lack of nutrients.

She may have misunderstood it or maybe the vet even assumed that she already feeds a good quality dry food and it was as an additive. Even if it is one of these I'd like to set her straight before she has any issues because of it.

Edited by vicsta81

I would suggest to her to get a second opinion.

What does your friend usually feed her dogs?

A terrible diet which is why I was keen for her to change anyway. They were eating sausages, pasta and sauces, maccas etc. so not good

I've just spoken with her again and the reason the bulldog doesn't get dry is because she just wont eat it. She's all good with other suggestions now anyways after we just had a chat.

A terrible diet which is why I was keen for her to change anyway. They were eating sausages, pasta and sauces, maccas etc. so not good

I've just spoken with her again and the reason the bulldog doesn't get dry is because she just wont eat it. She's all good with other suggestions now anyways after we just had a chat.

Wow.. that's an interesting diet for a dog!

Maybe chicken and rice is good for her dog after eating all that junk food. Dog might have an upset stomach eating all that.

Then slowly introducing her dog with dry food.

Edited by CW EW

Surprisingly the younger one hasnt had any probs. I don't know whether having been brought up on that kind of thing is the reason why or it's just fluke. It's sad that her older dog has ended up with diabetes but it has made her think about giving them a proper diet at least.

I definitely wouldn't recommend a homecooked, single protein diet. Had my dog on that with added supplements for a while as part of my vet's cancer management diet regime and his stools became liquid, he had recurrent problems with his anal glands even with added pumpkin and vegetables, his lower back developed bad dandruff, the fur on the tip of his tail dropped off and open wounds kept forming there... it was a nightmare. After I went back to kibble the above mentioned issues resolved. I add "fresh foods" in the form of barf patties and occasional rmbs.

Has she tried him on barf patties? Dr B's or Canine Country make them.

No wonder it doesn't want to eat dry food if it gets fed McDonalds :rofl:

After telling us what it is currently fed, it is porb overweight and the already has poor nutrition so the vet was prob trying to get her back on some form of digestible food.

Maybe the vet suggested a bland diet for the body to get over the other crap in it.

I don't think it could fit the biscuits in after eating pasta, sausages, mcdonalds etc