Photographing Your Dogs

lopolla

I'm wanting to take some decent shots of my girl and my friends dog and possibly some with the kids as well. any ideas or advice from experience as to which canon lenses are best for this type of shot? i have a cropped sensor camera.

im looking at doing some self set up studio sort of things as well as some outdoors ones too.

Edited by lopolla

You're probably best asking this in the photography section...

I don't think I've tried enough lenses to tell you what 'the best' is in Canon's range, but my personal preferences are my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 for portraits.

You're probably best asking this in the photography section...

I don't think I've tried enough lenses to tell you what 'the best' is in Canon's range, but my personal preferences are my 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8 for portraits.

oops! i've re posted in the photography section.

i have the 50mm 1.8 which is pretty decent. looking at upgrading it to 1.4 in future possibly.

Any lens is suitable. I use my zooms to take still shots, moving shots etc. You have to use the right settings for the camera - though the 40D you pretty much set it on ai servo and get the actual settings right wave it vaguely in the direction of the subject and it takes brilliant shots.

7D you need a degree to work out how to get the settings just right - would only suggest that camera if you have a big interest in photography and know how to use manual and what all the dials etc do. Took a while before I got the shots I expected from my new 7D when we took pics of the dog in the yard, at the park, cars on the road, etc and even now still milling over a few settings (have bough a magic lantern guide to the camera but hasnt arrived yet as hoping its a little more in depth than the manual).

Any lens is suitable. I use my zooms to take still shots, moving shots etc. You have to use the right settings for the camera - though the 40D you pretty much set it on ai servo and get the actual settings right wave it vaguely in the direction of the subject and it takes brilliant shots.

7D you need a degree to work out how to get the settings just right - would only suggest that camera if you have a big interest in photography and know how to use manual and what all the dials etc do. Took a while before I got the shots I expected from my new 7D when we took pics of the dog in the yard, at the park, cars on the road, etc and even now still milling over a few settings (have bough a magic lantern guide to the camera but hasnt arrived yet as hoping its a little more in depth than the manual).

i've used a 7d in store before, i work in a camera store so am lucky i get to play around with things. it's not something im looking at getting due to funds its just a dream, 5d mark 11 would be ultimate but thats definitely a dream haha

i get some pretty decent shots with my standard kit lenses and my 50mm f1.8 just looking at getting something new and fun to play with. let me know how you go with the magic lantern, ive had lots of customers buy them and say they are brilliant!