Comon Things People Dont Realise About Your Breed

MonElite

I was guilty of this myself.

I never realised how dog unsocial as a breed dobermanns are. Its a big generalisation of course as there are plenty very social dobes, but as a breed they are not really dog friendly.

What is it about your breed?

Edited by MonElite

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alot of people think whippets are gentle soft dogs, and they are, to a point, they hunting dogs though and are deadly on little fluffies. Not all whippets I suppose, I have a friend whose dogs have rabbits hopping around unharmed on her property. That wouldn't happen here though.

that just because my working malinois is reasonably sane in public that does not meat that everyone else needs to go get one and it will be exactly the same as mine :laugh:

some people I just want to smack upside the head.

people always think that the big coat on a Finnish lapphund means that you need to spend hours everyday brushing and caring for it. They are a working breed, I certainly don't think the Saami people had time to fluff coats while hearding reindeer across the ice!!LOL

Oh, its does get hot in northern finland too :laugh: - never ever clip their coats!

My Dobe is not usually dog unsocial. There have been a couple of exceptions.

But she's not OTT friendly either. If I call her away, she's happy to leave them and come.

The attitudes to my Dobe have been quite a source of amusement.

I've had people cross the street when they see us. I've had kids at the school do a BIG detour around us while we waited to pick up our kids. They must all think the dog leads are elastic or something. :laugh:

And other kids just bowl up on noisy scooter things, scare the heck out of her, and want to pat her. They didn't know ANYTHING about dogs.

And a visiting doggy friend saying, while she patted the head on her lap, "I didn't realise Dobes were such sooks!"

Edited by noisymina

German Shepherds do not need a huge yard to live they would much prefer to be in the house with you. I also find they do not require the hours of exercise that many would lead you to believe. Mini Foxies now here is a dog that is absolutely full on when young need a lot of training inside and out. Couch potatoes when older a big dog in a little body and actually I have found sometimes more work than the German Shepherd. But it does not make me love them any the less.

Edited to add that no chook, rat, mouse, or any small fluffy is safe with a foxie certaintly not mine natural born killers which suits us fine living on a farm with the rats and mice. Oh and my girl will NOT allow a bird in the house or out in the yard.

Edited by PRADA68

Killer Rottweiler, she will definitely bite and savage and maul you to death! Hide yo wife, hide yo kids, hide yo husbands..

In reality all she will do is probably lick you to death, maybe a bark or two. The number of times I've had people scream when my dog let out an unexpected bark...

I guess the good thing about this misconception is that people tend to give us a big berth on walks.

Although sometimes people see us and think, oh petite young girl walking a big dog, the dog must be super friendly and bombproof!! And then proceed to run right up to my dog-reactive dog from behind with their dogs and surprise the crap out of us. =_=

Edited by silentchild

I was guilty of this myself.

I never realised how dog unsocial as a breed dobermanns are. Its a big generalisation of course as there are plenty very social dobes, but as a breed they are not really dog friendly.

What is it about your breed?

My boy is a freak lol. Entire male, very protective, but incredibly social. Loves to meet and play with new and old dog friends, and loves to meet new people. Just yesterday, we had a couch delivered, and he goes from not letting them enter the property, not charging them, but blocking the doorway and barking and growling enough to stop 3 huge guys, to the second I appear and say hi, putting his ears back and putting on his cute face, ready for giving and receiving love.

But yeah I agree with you, he is definitely the exception. I used to always get so excited when I saw another dobe, thinking mine would like to play with them, but now I don't bother even approaching, because best case scenario, they're totally dismissive, worst, they try and attack your dog.

Border Collie - You have to run them for hours and hours a day. Sure Quinn needs to get out and do stuff and I DO need to put a lot of effort into her but she needs interaction and stimulation not blind activity.

And tat they arn't meant to love strangers, sure there are plenty that do and Quinn is quiet friendly when she does meet people but if we arn't actively introducing her to them then she's pretty happy to do her own thing.

Alot of people think whippets are gentle soft dogs, and they are, to a point, they hunting dogs though and are deadly on little fluffies. Not all whippets I suppose, I have a friend whose dogs have rabbits hopping around unharmed on her property. That wouldn't happen here though.

Agree. A lot of folk also assume that any high prey drive dog will harm their kiddies too - not so. I tired of people (some with their own sighthounds) tell me that Whippets are somehow untrainable. That's rubbish. Sure they ain't Border Collies but they can be trained.

Poodles - where do I start. They shed folks - into their coats and they felt and mat if you don't brush them. Nothing low maintenance about those coats despite what all the oodle breeders say. They're smart, they are very trainable and they are dogs. Treat them as such and they don't tend to need a lot of coddling either.

That Whippets needs lots of exercise.

I have had many people say they like the look of Whippets but would have one as they require so much exercise.

Um no, the can go really fast but not for a long period of time. Lewis is one of the most active I know and even he get tired reasonable quickly. He is happy after half an hours walk, but does prefer a couple of hours exercise. Rommi is an hour and then she is flaked.

They are also very laid back in the house - of course training come into it, but they don't necessarily want to zooma round the house all day.

Sibes are not part wolf, they wont eat little kids, they dont need brushed three times a day, you DO NOT shave them in summer and they CAN BE trained! The amount of times I have been told that Sibes are stupid and untrainable (by owners that have dumped them). Sorry but if I can train a Sibe to heel,sit, lie down, roll over, fetch, get the mail and recall away from other dogs whilst caring for 4 kids and a zoo, then it is not "IMPOSSIBLE".

No my "pittbull" will not suddenly snap her leash and run across traffic just to bite and kill you. No I am not going to relase her off off her leash and "set" her on you. Yes it is safe to walk her with my kids, no I am not scared that she will turn around suddenly and kill them or myself just because she is a "pittbull". No she is not a "pittbull", she is ANKC registered (not that I would care if she was pittbull mind you), yes I am sure. Oh whats that, she is too big (25kg),trim and muscular to be an Amstaff, they are alot fatter and smaller? Ofcourse you would know wouldnt you, she simply must be a pittbull then! For the last time NO I highly doubt that one day she will break into the kids bedrooms and attack them in their sleep like all the stories that you see on the news. :laugh:

Actually glad that almost everyone changes direction or crosses the street when I walk Bonnie, gives me some peace and quite instead of being warned about the dangers of owning a "pittbull".