Rare Or Disqualifed Colours In Breeds.

poodlefan

They do have a breed standard for an exhibitor

:p :vomit:

CHARACTERISTICS

A pleasant intelligent person, helpful, considerate, attentive and of a

sporting demeanour. Always willing to give advice and assistance to

newcomers, or to others needing it. Attentive to the needs of the dogs being

handled, and present each dog to its best advantage.

GENERAL APPEARANCE

A neat, smart, fit looking individual, well-groomed, well shod and

well-equipped, who moves freely both in and out of the ring.

TEMPERAMENT

Calm, confident, unhurried and friendly.

HEAD

Neither big nor pin headed. Skull broad to allow for plenty of brain power.

Expression pleasant and smiling, regardless of judges' decisions, other

exhibitors' actions and the dog's behaviour.

Nose small so as to not be stuck into where it is not wanted.

EYES

Sharp and bright Observant of other exhibitors location, judge's hand

signals and the movement and position of all dogs in the ring.

MOUTH

Usually best kept closed except to briefly answer judge's questions or to

congratulate successful exhibitors.

Teeth clean, white and presented in a smiling fashion at all times.

NECK

Long enough to hold the head up proudly and flexible enough to turn the head

as to observe everything that is happening in the ring. Should never be

stuck out.

FOREQUARTERS

Shoulders broad and able to shrug off unsporting comments from other

exhibitors.

Arms of sufficient length and strength to extend a handshake to the winners,

keep a firm hold on the dog, collect any prize cards, and give a friendly

pat to the dog all at the same time.

BODY

Sufficiently slim as to not impede other exhibitors leaving the ring and to

not completely block the judge's view of all the dogs behind.

HINDQUARTERS

Well developed and strong so as to be able to move the dog in the ring at

its optimum speed.

FEET

Firmly on the ground as this is only a sport after all. To be kept out of

the mouth at all times.

GAIT

Free moving and graceful, moving in harmony with the dog's speed.

COAT

Dress should be neat, clean and tidy, neither flamboyant nor immodest, but

designed to allow free movement without distraction to any dog in the ring.

Feet should be well shod in practical shoes to allow for easy movement.

COLOUR

Should be chosen to complement the colour of the dog, or if several

different coloured dogs are being handled, to at least not completely hide

the outline of any dog, e.g. Wearing a long black skirt when showing a black

dog.

SIZE

Exhibitors may come in all sizes and shapes, the only limitation being

ability to do justice to the dog when in the ring.

MAJOR FAULTS

Dirty or scruffy appearance, grumpy, vicious or flustered temperament;

swollen head; loud mouth, especially when used for insulting comments or bad

language; unsporting behaviour; unkempt dress.

NOTE:

The usual Kennel Club requirement that all males have two apparently normal

testicles fully descended into the scrotum has been dispensed with, in the

interests of decorum and to avoid any sudden inspections with attendant

violent reactions, while male exhibitors are attending dog shows.

• Replies 712
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just thank my lucky stars they dont have a breed standard for humans..otherwise alot of us would have been PTS or neutered at birth!

I can certainly think of a few candidates!

I believe PINK is a fault in Poodles :p

poodleOMG-1.jpg

Nope, I believe it is a fault in the owner :laugh:

Hahah - too funny, and so so wrong!!!

You're just SOOOOO lucky I cropped out the owner from the photo - truly horrifying :laugh:

They do have a breed standard for an exhibitor

:vomit::vomit:

CHARACTERISTICS

A pleasant intelligent person, helpful, considerate, attentive and of a

sporting demeanour. Always willing to give advice and assistance to

newcomers, or to others needing it. Attentive to the needs of the dogs being

handled, and present each dog to its best advantage.

GENERAL APPEARANCE

A neat, smart, fit looking individual, well-groomed, well shod and

well-equipped, who moves freely both in and out of the ring.

TEMPERAMENT

Calm, confident, unhurried and friendly.

HEAD

Neither big nor pin headed. Skull broad to allow for plenty of brain power.

Expression pleasant and smiling, regardless of judges' decisions, other

exhibitors' actions and the dog's behaviour.

Nose small so as to not be stuck into where it is not wanted.

EYES

Sharp and bright Observant of other exhibitors location, judge's hand

signals and the movement and position of all dogs in the ring.

MOUTH

Usually best kept closed except to briefly answer judge's questions or to

congratulate successful exhibitors.

Teeth clean, white and presented in a smiling fashion at all times.

NECK

Long enough to hold the head up proudly and flexible enough to turn the head

as to observe everything that is happening in the ring. Should never be

stuck out.

FOREQUARTERS

Shoulders broad and able to shrug off unsporting comments from other

exhibitors.

Arms of sufficient length and strength to extend a handshake to the winners,

keep a firm hold on the dog, collect any prize cards, and give a friendly

pat to the dog all at the same time.

BODY

Sufficiently slim as to not impede other exhibitors leaving the ring and to

not completely block the judge's view of all the dogs behind.

HINDQUARTERS

Well developed and strong so as to be able to move the dog in the ring at

its optimum speed.

FEET

Firmly on the ground as this is only a sport after all. To be kept out of

the mouth at all times.

GAIT

Free moving and graceful, moving in harmony with the dog's speed.

COAT

Dress should be neat, clean and tidy, neither flamboyant nor immodest, but

designed to allow free movement without distraction to any dog in the ring.

Feet should be well shod in practical shoes to allow for easy movement.

COLOUR

Should be chosen to complement the colour of the dog, or if several

different coloured dogs are being handled, to at least not completely hide

the outline of any dog, e.g. Wearing a long black skirt when showing a black

dog.

SIZE

Exhibitors may come in all sizes and shapes, the only limitation being

ability to do justice to the dog when in the ring.

MAJOR FAULTS

Dirty or scruffy appearance, grumpy, vicious or flustered temperament;

swollen head; loud mouth, especially when used for insulting comments or bad

language; unsporting behaviour; unkempt dress.

NOTE:

The usual Kennel Club requirement that all males have two apparently normal

testicles fully descended into the scrotum has been dispensed with, in the

interests of decorum and to avoid any sudden inspections with attendant

violent reactions, while male exhibitors are attending dog shows.

:eek::mad :D coffee splurks on keyboard

Wuffles she actually looks like she has some light shading over her eye and extending down to almost her nose on one side or is this just the photo giving that impression. A cryptic merle perhaps?

Looks so much better with the dark pigmentation, and safer in our climate.

It's just the photo, but we do believe she is a cryptic merle as she has two small spots on her back which look white but when compared to her other white areas are actually darker.

I am glad her pigmentation came through although I still put sunscreen on the top of her nose in summer :D

This is one that has always fascinated me. Hailstone Labradors. I don't know that there has been any in recent years? Mary Roslin Williams Talks about them in her book "Reach for the Stars (Formerly Advanced Labrador Breeding)" and notes that when they appeared they were always good quality Labs.

post-5072-1288911646_thumb.jpg

Edited by espinay2

And just to confuse things more, sable in Borzoi is now known not to be as or aw as once reported, but almost certainly at at with a modifier on the e series, eG. Unlike clear red borozi which are ay. Sable can be tricky.

Different allele or mutation at the same gene, agouti.

The agouti gene doesn't by itself explain the sable colour/pattern in Borzoi.

In all likelihood it is the same as domino in Affies and grizzle in Salukis, the eG gene whch was only written up this year affecting the expression of black and tan, at. But the work wasn't done on 'zoi so I don't think it's 100% certain it's the same. Borzoi breeders have known for a long time it's not just the agouti gene though, from the way it was inherited.

Edited to be a bit shorter and less confusing with the quotes, I hope!

This is very true EG was recently described in Salukis and Afghan Hounds- this allele is from the Extension (E locus). They call the phenotype related to this allele combination (at/at with EG)grizzle (in the paper atleast). The paper is Dreger and Schmutz (2010) A New Mutation in MC1R Explains a Coat Color Phenotype in 2 "old" Breeds: Saluki and Afghan Hound. Journal of Heredity doi:10.1093/jhered/esq061 if anyone is interested.

To me sable is more of a gray wolf colour (i.e. the wild type agouti pattern) with either mixed black and yellow/red hairs or banded black and red/yellow hairs. There seems to be a practice of calling very different colour patterns by the same name - this makes it confusing as often they are each caused by different genes, alleles or combinations of alleles.

The allele is possibly the same if Saluki's and Borzoi's are closely related breeds or have common heritage.

Sorry if I missed it, but is the blue merle bad in the corgi's? My aunty has one with a blue eye.

Blue merle is perfectly acceptable in the Cardigan Welsh Corgi (often accompanied by a blue eye - also acceptable) however it's not a colour we get in the Pembroke Welsh Corgi though occassionally a blue eye will occur (I've never seen one) and a blue eye is not acceptable in a Pembroke.

Hope this helps :D

Ok thanks :) I couldnt remember whether it was a Cardigan welsh Corgi or a Pembroke Corgi, obviously it is a Cardigan. She is a gorgeous dog. I love the one blue eye on any dog.

I think it's a fine name . . . good poetry. .. for a Chessie. I think of the Chesapeak Bay as being covered by a tawny brown matt for much of the autumn through spring.

And pretty much the same, this gamut of colours is what is called "yellow" in Labs :)

It also covers (from left to right) Light Deadgrass, Deadgrass, Sedge and Dark Sedge in Chessies. :party:

Urgh, "deadgrass" is not a nice name. :D

Edited by sandgrubber

The sad thing with Labs is that the yellow is judged pretty evenly throughout the 'gamut' but any chocolate that is not 'nice dark chocolate' seems to be knocked back by judges. Mousy brown (liver, no?) or red-tinted from being in the sun is likely to be knocked back. Whatthehell, they're a working breed, you shouldn't have to raise 'em under shade cloth to end out with a colour that can get titled.

And pretty much the same, this gamut of colours is what is called "yellow" in Labs :D

This is very true EG was recently described in Salukis and Afghan Hounds- this allele is from the Extension (E locus). They call the phenotype related to this allele combination (at/at with EG)grizzle (in the paper atleast). The paper is Dreger and Schmutz (2010) A New Mutation in MC1R Explains a Coat Color Phenotype in 2 "old" Breeds: Saluki and Afghan Hound. Journal of Heredity doi:10.1093/jhered/esq061 if anyone is interested.

To me sable is more of a gray wolf colour (i.e. the wild type agouti pattern) with either mixed black and yellow/red hairs or banded black and red/yellow hairs. There seems to be a practice of calling very different colour patterns by the same name - this makes it confusing as often they are each caused by different genes, alleles or combinations of alleles.

The allele is possibly the same if Saluki's and Borzoi's are closely related breeds or have common heritage.

Yes, the inconsistency in naming is a major issue for the lay person trying to get their head around it for a breed with a wide range of colours and patterns.

In Borzoi sable often used to be called tortoiseshell, and although incorrect that was more descriptive of what it looks like. It also has a charateristic facial pattern with a'widows peak' of colour - very like domino and grizzle.

To make it worse, official colour lists like that of the AKC in the US list "sabled" red (or cream or gold etc) and red (or whatever) "sable" as two different but legitimate colours, and I still can't figure out if they are genetically different ("sabled red" ay, at and "red sable" at, at with eG). Depends entirely on who you read - talk about confusing!

If When I win lotto I'll fund the research to map it out properly! if you can recommend any up to date texts on colour genetics let me know, all the stuff I read 20 years ago seems to have been proved wrong or very incomplete since.

Edited by Diva

Sources, please. Black is the dominant colour in Labs. I have never heard that they are prone to bone or hamangiosarcoma cancers.

I have seen studies saying that golden Cockers are more aggressive than other colours.

To answer the question on colour and issues:

White - deafness, low immune system, skin and hair issues. Common link can often be thyroid irregularities. White with lack of pigment usually spells trouble, especially for hearing.

Black - more prone to certain kinds of cancer including hemangiosarcoma and bone cancer

Black and Tan - parvo magnets

Fawn and Blue - dilute colour alopecia. Not often seen in Whippets thank God but definitely in SBTs and Dobes.

Those are the ones I know of.

Edited by sandgrubber

Sources, please. Black is the dominant colour in Labs. I have never heard that they are prone to bone or hamangiosarcoma cancers.

I have seen studies saying that golden Cockers are more aggressive than other colours.

Black - more prone to certain kinds of cancer including hemangiosarcoma and bone cancer

There are 2 types of Solid Black controlled by 2 different genes

(1) recessive black caused by an allele at the Agouti gene

(2) dominant black caused by an allele at the K locus (Dominant Black) or CBD103 gene

Black coat colour in Labs is caused by the second gene, Dominant Black. Yellow is caused by ee at the MC1R (Extension locus) and Chocolate/Brown by an bb allele at the B (TYRP1 gene) locus. Liver pigmentation in yellow labs can be caused by TYRP1 as well.

I've never heard of the predisposition of Black dogs to certain kinds of cancer.

Over vaccination may be a cause of dogs developing allergies, so on that one you may be correct.

Out of curiosity what is classed as 'over vaccination'?

General consesus is the yearly vaccination protocol.

Google "Jean Dodds" and "over vaccination" for some ardous reading. Interestingly, Jean is the main writer on the subject and I often wonder why there are not more experts writing papers on the subject. :D

I've never heard of the predisposition of Black dogs to certain kinds of cancer.

I was told by 2 different vets that black dogs were more prone to Hemangio. But they didn't prove to be great vets so who knows. Groenendaels can be either dominant or recessive black, both K and a occur in the breed, not sure what that means for the supposed link.

Edited by Diva

I was watching Dogs 101 on Animal Planet while I was home sick a while ago - they were saying that Labs come in four colours - yellow, black, chocolate and blue :confused: I've never seen a blue lab (and am quite happy to not see one!!) but has anyone ever encountered one before?

I was told by 2 different vets that black dogs were more prone to Hemangio. But they didn't prove to be great vets so who knows. Groenendaels can be either dominant or recessive black, both K and a occur in the breed, not sure what that means for the supposed link.

Could be a 'myth' as opposed to scientific fact then.

I found this in a Science article by Elizabeth Pennisi - Volume 317, September 2007 called The Geneticists Best Friend

Danielle Karyadi in Ostrander’s lab is also a recent convert to dog genetics. She has spent much of her career chasing down genes that make people more susceptible to prostate cancer. Now, she has turned her attention to squamous cell carcinoma, a cancer found only in solid black dogs, such as poodles. “It will be really exciting when we can identify genes in dog cancers” and use them to understand human cancers, says Karyadi.

So it's possible there is a relationship.

I was watching Dogs 101 on Animal Planet while I was home sick a while ago - they were saying that Labs come in four colours - yellow, black, chocolate and blue :confused: I've never seen a blue lab (and am quite happy to not see one!!) but has anyone ever encountered one before?

There are some people breeding for blue in labs in America. (LOL, rare like blue staffies) The type looks funny to me, almost as if the dilute gene snuck in via another breed somehow.