Humping

fuzzy82

Most of my dogs that are feeling happy and healthy hump toys at some stage but have never tried to hump a leg etc. I guess some do it out of dominance but some just hump because they feel good and it's natural

okkkkk

It probably feels good , and is very natural to pee/mark things .

However, it is not an acceptable behaviour for dogs living indoors/closely with humans.

It doesn't often happen that someone comes on here and laughs about their dog peeing on a new couch, or all over the clothes left draped on the end of the bed ....

Why then is humping so often seen as mildly/downright amusing /acceptable?

I guess everyone decides what behaviour is acceptable. What is acceptable to me maybe different to everyone else.

Some people let their dogs ambush every visitor that comes to the house or beg for food when ever they are eating, I don't as this is not acceptable in my house. Some people let their dogs on their bed or on the lounge some don't.

You are right my dogs know it is not acceptable to pee/mark in the house just like they know it is not acceptable to annoy visitors.

My point was I have had puppies hump toys, which I don't find offensive, but they never were or turned into serial leg humpers or had any dominance issues, other people may have these issues with their dogs.

There are many people that have behaviours I find irritating too but others wouldn't have a problem with them so it all comes down too what you find acceptable. Just like some people bring their children up differently to one another, people often have different ideas about what is expected of their dogs.

Some people find AI's or picking up poo in a bag ikky too but most breeders or showys wouldn't give it a second thought.

Like everything these forums can be a great place for people to share their varied opinions and experiences, people can then decide what they take on board and is useful and what they don't agree with and file with the trash.

Cheers

My lil fez is/was a humper. First day he got here he was so excited he started humping my daughter when she sat on the floor to pat him, I shoved him off quickly and got her to stand up, he only humped the kids/me a couple of times in the first few weeks when he was excited and really young.

Now he is 8 months nearly 9months and he only ever occasionally humps Cindy his play friend a whippet puppy, He seems to be growing out of it and I can stop him from doing it with saying his name sharply like he is in trouble, or saying URGHHH in a growly voice which all my dogs no means stop doing whatever you are doing lol.

I guess some grow out of it and othershave to be trained to not do it or you just let em go for it.

Well, it doesn't result in anything that needs to be cleaned, or any disagreeable odours. It's not especially annoying unless you can't walk around the room because you have a dog attached to your leg. It often doesn't directly impact humans at all. It comes down to whether you're embarrassed by a non-human animal engaging in sexual behaviour right in front of you and the welfare of those that might get humped. Fact is a lot of dogs and humans don't like being humped, so I would stop it. That's the only reason why, though. Sexual behaviour is not IMO inherently rude. I certainly never bothered trying to stop my hare from masturbating. He's a boy. He has urges I have no control over.

Humping isn't always sexual behaviour in dogs or in other species. It certainly isn't gender specific in dogs.

It can be a dominance, rather than a sexual display. There are plenty of dominant little dogs (including terriers) around, or those looking for something they can dominate. Young dogs can practice dominance displays as much as behave sexually.

I wouldnt allow a dog to masturbate or to indicate its dominance by humping me or my dogs. Wild animals aside, we expect our domestic pets to control undesireable urges every day. I don't see humping as different.

How much exercise does the little humper get? How much training does he get? What outlets is he given that bring him genuine pleasure - toys, games, bones etc.

Humping isn't always sexual behaviour in dogs or in other species. It certainly isn't gender specific in dogs.

Agreed, but I was referring to a typical human's hangup about it.

I think it is rarely dominance and rarely sexual behaviour, but frequently displacement behaviour. We don't think it rude if a dog tongue flicks and looks away from us.

Well, it doesn't result in anything that needs to be cleaned, or any disagreeable odours. It's not especially annoying unless you can't walk around the room because you have a dog attached to your leg. It often doesn't directly impact humans at all. It comes down to whether you're embarrassed by a non-human animal engaging in sexual behaviour right in front of you and the welfare of those that might get humped. Fact is a lot of dogs and humans don't like being humped, so I would stop it. That's the only reason why, though. Sexual behaviour is not IMO inherently rude. I certainly never bothered trying to stop my hare from masturbating. He's a boy. He has urges I have no control over.

It can be a dominance, rather than a sexual display. There are plenty of dominant little dogs (including terriers) around, or those looking for something they can dominate. Young dogs can practice dominance displays as much as behave sexually.

I wouldnt allow a dog to masturbate or to indicate its dominance by humping me or my dogs. Wild animals aside, we expect our domestic pets to control undesireable urges every day. I don't see humping as different.

How much exercise does the little humper get? How much training does he get? What outlets is he given that bring him genuine pleasure - toys, games, bones etc.

What about if he humped a toy or inanimate object? Is that more likely to be sexual or dominance?

When females hump is it a dominance behaviour as females don't really "hump" as such during mating (they just stand- the male does all the humping)

Errrr well that's debatable, boy dogs do tend to "finish" the job.

In this house it's a firm "NO" (and I'll always stand up to say this - if necessary between the dog and his object of desire), if it continues then "crate". He will occasionally try it on with the cat (usually ends with him being clobbered), or when he becomes over excited during play, or with visitors he is unsure of - neither is a sexual behaviour and neither is acceptable.

Agreed, but I was referring to a typical human's hangup about it.

I think it is rarely dominance and rarely sexual behaviour, but frequently displacement behaviour. We don't think it rude if a dog tongue flicks and looks away from us.

I think its dominance far more often than some owners might care to consider.

But once again,we control and deter a lot of dog behaviour - humping is just another one to add to the list.

Edited by poodlefan

Jager does this occasionally. Not entirely sure why.

He used to do it alot when we played with him. He would start off fine and then eventually he would 'hump' the air when we went to throw the toy for him. I would growl or give him a firm No and now he does not do it with him but he still does it when my OH plays fetch with him. Mind you my OH thinks it hilarious which makes me made cause he is encouraging / not discouraging him.

He also tried it on with my brothers dog last time we went and visited. He hasn't done it to any other dog but for some reason he has a thing for Hugo.

Its a habit that i havent had to deal with with any of my other dogs over the years. Do you just give him a good NO and distract them? Is it a habit that can be broken? Will he grow out of it (he is 8months)? Is it something that is just in them and it never stops?

Thanks

When females hump is it a dominance behaviour as females don't really "hump" as such during mating (they just stand- the male does all the humping)

Aussielover, cows will hump (ride) each other when they go on heat, it's one of the ways you identify which dairy cows are coming on heat so you can inseminate them at the right time. They will only do the mounting when they're coming into estrus, and they only stand to be mounted by other cows when they are fully on heat. So female animals can certainly hump for hormonal reasons, not just dominance ones.

My girl will occasionally hump when she's coming on heat, she knows she is not to do it at other times, but I think sometimes when she's in estrus her hormones run away with her. Not entirely sure she can help doing it, and don't think it's a dominance thing as she won't do it when she's not on heat, so we don't scold her for it.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I am having a humping problem with my 5month old BC. Ollie doesn't hump inanimate objects though, just other dogs. He did it once when he was 9 weeks at puppy preschool and I nearly died of embarrassment :thumbsup:

Our school said that he's too young to know what it actually meant and that he's just overstimulated from playing. I was told to just pick him up and calm him down for a little while and then he can go play again.

This seemed to work but recently I've noticed that he's started doing this more and more frequently but only with dogs that he knows he can beat in play. He has never tried to hump bigger dogs, only smaller ones, is this a dominance thing?

I'm not sure how to train him out of this and it requires me to watch him like a hawk when he's playing with other dogs. He's being desexed next month, should this have an impact?

Thanks!

Lauren

From reading this thread...it seems that there are alot of JRT x's out there that like to hump. Maybe it is a breed thing. :thumbsup:

:laugh: sounds like a JRT tendancy!

My cav used to do it to his toys as a pup, but he grew out of it!