Diabetes & Vet Recommendations

vicsta81

A friend of mine took her dog to a vet yesterday as she wouldn't eat and was getting dehydrated. The vet took some blood tests and her little girl has been diagnosed with diabetes and she was left with the vet overnight to be monitored. The vet told my friend that it would be $500 for this, anyway this morning she was told $800 and later when questioned what had been done it came back down to $640. They also seem to have put the guilt trip on my friend when she said she'll pick her little girl up today, and went from saying how strong and robust she was to how sick she is.

Now my friend has been told that her little girl (15 yr old Maltese x Mini Fox Terrier) will require 2 insulin injections every day and a low fat diet to control her diabetes and she has no problem with doing that and her family are also wanting to help. The vet has also said she'll need to keep going back for blood tests regularly, the first of which being in two weeks.

Having never come across a dog with diabetes before is this what happens?

She's also thinking about a second opinion as she doesn't have a good gut feeling about this vet. I told her I'd try and get some recommendations for her and she doesn't mind travelling for a good vet.

***Sorry if this doesn't read right, I'm writing it up while at work.

Diabetes needs to be monitored closely at first, because you need to work out the correct dosage of insulin and the blood glucose levels can fluctuate a fair bit. Once it is under control, the dog shouldn't need to be checked as regularly. But if she feels uncomfortable with this vet, she should definitely see someone else. There is no rule to say you can't change vets!

I'm sorry I cannot comment on dog diabetes but I do have a cat with it, for the last 5 years.

Firstly he did not need monitoring although I did take him back over a period for regular bloods to make sure his dose was correct. that was for about 2 weeks every couple of days. I was noot charged for his bloods, took 1 minute.

Ongoing, 2 injections per day 12 hours apart. He has done really well, is now 17, perfect health :laugh:

Maybe it's different for dogs, or for that dog, I cannot say.

Hope the dear little boy is OK, I had a maltx rescue that passed when he was 15.xxxx

We do monitor our diabetic patients VERY closely for the first couple of months. After that we do 3 monthly bloods then after a while 6 monthly bloods if they are stable.

If she doesnt feel good about her current vet, she should find one she does trust :laugh:

It would depend on whether she was 'just' diabetic or whether she was a 'sick' diabetic in various stages of ketosis or ketoacidosis or concurrent pancreatitis. By the time you run full blood work, urine tests, start a sick dog on fluids and insulin and do a blood glucose curve you could certainly be reaching $500 territory if everything goes well.

With any situation, but esepcially chronic disease, it is important the the owner trusts the vet.

New diabetics do need to be monitored closely initially, usually 2 weekly for glucose curves and dose adjustments. Once stable this is reduced to monthly check up, 3 monthly, 6 monthly etc for prescription refills. The management of diabetic cats can be less intensive depending on which type of insulin is used - they can also go into remission.

A friend of mine took her dog to a vet yesterday as she wouldn't eat and was getting dehydrated. The vet took some blood tests and her little girl has been diagnosed with diabetes and she was left with the vet overnight to be monitored. The vet told my friend that it would be $500 for this, anyway this morning she was told $800 and later when questioned what had been done it came back down to $640. They also seem to have put the guilt trip on my friend when she said she'll pick her little girl up today, and went from saying how strong and robust she was to how sick she is.

Now my friend has been told that her little girl (15 yr old Maltese x Mini Fox Terrier) will require 2 insulin injections every day and a low fat diet to control her diabetes and she has no problem with doing that and her family are also wanting to help. The vet has also said she'll need to keep going back for blood tests regularly, the first of which being in two weeks.

Having never come across a dog with diabetes before is this what happens? She's also thinking about a second opinion as she doesn't have a good gut feeling about this vet. I told her I'd try and get some recommendations for her and she doesn't mind travelling for a good vet.

***Sorry if this doesn't read right, I'm writing it up while at work.

Yep, pretty much. it does vary from patient to patient but it doesn't sound unrealistic to me, however I do suggest that if your friend is going to have a close relationship with their vet from now on, they find one they like.

Thanks for the information :laugh: My friend really appreciates it.

She picked her little girl up last night and was told she has pancreatitis and was given anti biotics and insulin. She was told to inject the insulin in the back of her neck and shake it but apparently the paperwork says into the abdomen and not to shake it so they're a bit confused. Her mother is taking Bella to another vet this morning so hoping they get some clarification from this visit.

I would guess that your friend has Caninsulin (it's the most common choice for dogs with diabetes). If that is the case it is injected under the skin, commonly the back of the neck because the skin in loose.

Some important things to know about Caninsulin:

- don't shake it. It will settle, to resuspend it I gently roll the bottle over or back and forth then when it is evenly suspended you can draw up the injections. The insulin particles are quite fragile, so shaking it can inactivate it.

- store in the fridge standing upright, don't lay the bottle on it's side as the rubber will affect the insulin.

- discard the bottle after 6 weeks and get a new on, even if there is some left.

- keep it refrigerated, draw it up at the time that the injection will be given and then put the bottle straight back in the fridge.

- if you aren't sure whether the injection went under the skin, don't give another one. It's better to be temporarily uncontrolled then have a hypoglycaemic episode.

- until the dog is eating reliably, I generally advise feeding first, then giving the insulin straight after.

It does sound right (apart from the iffy invoice). We had a cat with diabetes and gave her 12-hourly insulin shots for around 5 years. She was 16 when she died.

Insulin itself is not very expensive, and neither are the disposable needles. It became a pretty easy habit for us :rofl:

Some important things to know about Caninsulin:

- don't shake it. It will settle, to resuspend it I gently roll the bottle over or back and forth then when it is evenly suspended you can draw up the injections. The insulin particles are quite fragile, so shaking it can inactivate it.

- store in the fridge standing upright, don't lay the bottle on it's side as the rubber will affect the insulin.

- discard the bottle after 6 weeks and get a new on, even if there is some left.

- keep it refrigerated, draw it up at the time that the injection will be given and then put the bottle straight back in the fridge.

- if you aren't sure whether the injection went under the skin, don't give another one. It's better to be temporarily uncontrolled then have a hypoglycaemic episode.

- until the dog is eating reliably, I generally advise feeding first, then giving the insulin straight after.

Our cat Perrin has diabetes. But was in the early stages so no damage done. He has 2 12 hourly injections a day. It does feel daunting but once you settle into a routine it is easy.

As Rappie says never shake the insulin. Just roll it gently back and forth between your fingers.

I know dogs are different but the reason they suggest that it goes in the back of the neck is because there is more loose skin there. You just slide the needle under the skin and inject.

Goodluck to your friends dog.