Desexing Before Selling Litter

Mojopoodle

I dont sell to any random person, they are well and truly vetted... I dont really see that my supporting vasectomy / tubal ligation (not early spay neuter) as a means to protect my pups from people who decide later that they would love to have a litter from their dog has to do with neglect, mistreatment etc. I have a contract for all puppies that states If they cant keep the dog I will take it back any time in its life and this is non negotiable.

The pups have all the hormones they have if entire, the bitches have seasons and the boys are normal 'boys' and both need to be desexed after 12 months as per my contract.

Most good honest people want a lovely healthy puppy, the dishonest people are put off as soon as you mention sterilisation so would drop right off the radar.

I also have me as the second contact on the microchip incase the pup is lost or ends up in the pound.

I think that's a great idea Lolapalooza but if the new buyer decides they want to change this to a friend or relative they can do so.

I dont sell to any random person, they are well and truly vetted... I dont really see that my supporting vasectomy / tubal ligation (not early spay neuter) as a means to protect my pups from people who decide later that they would love to have a litter from their dog has to do with neglect, mistreatment etc. I have a contract for all puppies that states If they cant keep the dog I will take it back any time in its life and this is non negotiable.

The pups have all the hormones they have if entire, the bitches have seasons and the boys are normal 'boys' and both need to be desexed after 12 months as per my contract.

Most good honest people want a lovely healthy puppy, the dishonest people are put off as soon as you mention sterilisation so would drop right off the radar.

I also have me as the second contact on the microchip incase the pup is lost or ends up in the pound.

I think that's a great idea Lolapalooza but if the new buyer decides they want to change this to a friend or relative they can do so.

I print off the certificate from CAR and put myself as a third person.

I believe that the situation needs to change in this regard and that the original owner/breeder needs to remain visible and not disappear behind the scenes.

If people were not dishonest & puppy farms did not flourish maybe it wouldn't be needed.

I do not think I am a disgrace & should get out of dogs. I think I would be a disgrace if I let them go without protecting them & this is the only way.

Sorry Christina but that's a crock ! Or am I to conclude that , as a breeder , you don't screen your puppy buyers , sell with contracts and just sell to anyone who turns up wanting a puppy? And what happens if someone who buys one of your puppies..ends up with a little stunner and wants to learn ...become more involved and show or trial their dog? By castrating/speying..you are denying new puppy people from entering into your own hobby..the hobby of dogs. We all started this way..even you (?) and yet you deny anyone that same chance.

Personally I think it is a very selfish attitude and one that doesn't protect puppies from all sorts of other problems when desexed too early. But hey :) ...as long as they never have a litter of pups ...... :laugh: why worry......

Gee wiz you need to get out more Tapferhund. You are clueless to the lengths some people go to, to get an entire dog. Especially poodles and other breeds that produce designer mongrels.

Anyway back on topic. We have desexed some whippets at 12 weeks of age before rehoming. We have had no problems and none of the compications documented. Comparing the surgery time and recovery rate of a puppy v's an older dog (say 12 months of age) the operation was fast, the recovery on the puppy was quicker, the incision is smaller (1 stitch for both dog and bitch).

I print off the certificate from CAR and put myself as a third person.

I believe that the situation needs to change in this regard and that the original owner/breeder needs to remain visible and not disappear behind the scenes.

Ditto, It would allow for a lot more accountability if this were the case and I WANT to be on it for all time as Im sure do most breeders