Going Through The 10 Month Terrors

Rileys mum

Hiya,

My GSP has just turned 10 months and he's really trying my patience lol.

He's beautiful in all ways but recently I've noticed that he is trying to push the boundaries a bit ( which is normal I know :eek:)

basically I just wanted advice as to if I'm treating this behaviour the right way.

Ok..... Generally when I get home from work I will take pup for a long walk and play at the park. Over recent weeks, upon returning home he has been a bit crazy and not listen to me. This past week I have been putting a blanket on the floor and starting to teach him 'on your bed' to try and have a method of settling him. He has learnt that when I tell him to get on his bed I want him to go there and lay down. He does this very well but I've noticed that after a while he decides he's had enough, gets up and goes to walk off. At this time I ask him again to get on his bed and he ignores me ( or will go over to his bed, then get up immediately and walk off) how do I get him to stay there??? I've tried telling him 'no' when he gets up but it's not effective.

Should I direct him to his bed every time he gets up and not treat him?? Basically I'm worried if I treat him at this time he will learn " well if I just get up she will tell me to go back and then I get a treat again". I usually treat him when he obeys me the first time and then intermitantly at random times when he's doing the right thing.

Also, I've been using his crate as a method of 'time out' when I'm at home. Is this frowned upon. My pup is mighty clingy and I want to teach him that he can settle away from me and doesn't have to be around me 24/7. Is it fair to use his crate as a settle spot??

Hope I'm making sense here.

What else are you teaching him? sounds like his brain is just not being used. You go out and he sees the world then he's hyperstimulated! For him the day has just begun! I would be doing a lot more obedience and obedience games with him, some tracking/scenting would be great to get his brain tired too

I would use his crate as his bed. Blanket - boring. You're asking an adolescent gun dog to sit there and do nothing. You'd get up too :eek: if you want him to stay there at least give him a chew toy or long lasting treat like a big rawhide chew etc then he'll be happy to stay there.

Thanks for the reply. Sorry, I should have elaborated, he does heaps of other obedience training while out ( currently grade 4). I'm using our time out to have our play time and also train around distractions ( something I previously posted about and is improving every session :eek:)

I guess I wanted to try and shape a behaviour to teach him that crazy unstable behaviour isn't ok. He jumps on furnature, barks and whines and generally looses his mind ( in a fun way, he's just excited but I still don't want to allow the bahaviour if that makes sense) Any other methods I could use? As I said, I'm open to other ideas. This was one just recomended to me. He's nailed the fact that he lays on his mat, just not the staying there part. Perhaps I'm asking too much of him as far as time I ask him to stay there. I give him his 'free' que after 1 minute at this early stage but he's usually up within about 10 secs. The long lasting treat is a good idea :) thanks.

He's my pride and joy and I just want him to develop appropriate behaviours :)