Advice With My Foster Dogs

Guest chillinamos

Guest choice_brandy
Just a quick question ...are these your first fosters or have you had others before?

I also foster (various breeds) and usually find that the dogs can be very defensive or on the other end of the scale, very aloof for the first week or so until they find their feet. Fostering pound puppies (especially long termers) is very different as they can learn some very bad behaviours as a result of other dogs they are subjected to while in caged runs etc. Usually these problems can be sorted wth the correct retraining and guidance just as you are doing now.

I had a kelpie that became very reactive (she was my own dog not a foster) have no idea why but it seemed to be a chemical change in her brain (this was the diagnosis after seeking help from numerous vets ,"behaviouralists" and natural therapists). I used to walk her and allow her to participate in agility while wearing her plastic cage muzzle. You are so right the best thing it did for her was alert other owners that she did not want to be greeted by their "ok" dog.

Well done for helping to save these dogs and taking the time to correct the behaviours before finding forever homes. :laugh:

Thanks for your kind words

These are my first cattle dog fosters... and the first ones I have been 100% in charge of. I have fostered a couple of puppy farm bitches before but I was supplied with everything they needed including food and watched over like a hawk... and I've taken in a few greyhounds from the track and rehomed them myself rather than see them put to sleep. Up until now I had chosen NOT to foster cattle dogs because I knew I would want to keep them all... it'll be a day of mixed emotions when the two boys find their forever homes.

These are my first pound dogs though, and its been a steep learning curve. I think I have benefited as much as the dogs, having spoken to loads of knowledgeable people and experiencing first hand how Tango reacts and learns. So far I would to do it again when we have room... I am happy to have just Chilli but a foster dog in the mix keeps her entertained and means when walking/jogging with my partner we don't have to argue over who gets the dog :cry: