Would You Breed A Bitch Who...

SwaY

Would you breed a bitch...  

63 members have voted

1. 1. who showed varying degrees of aggression (fighting, narky, bitchiness etc) ONLY during season/mating/whelping/raising of the litter?

• Yes
    • No
    • N/A please explain

Would you breed a bitch who showed varying degrees of aggression (fighting, narky, bitchiness etc) ONLY during season/mating/whelping/raising of the litter?

I'm not talking about any other time, only when in seasons/mating/whelping/raising of the litter.

ETA I'm talking about other dogs, NOT her own puppies.

Edited by SwaY

Would you breed a bitch who showed varying degrees of aggression (fighting, narky, bitchiness etc) ONLY during season/mating/whelping/raising of the litter?

I'm not talking about any other time, only when in seasons/mating/whelping/raising of the litter.

its all degrees, and what kind of agression. My girl is rather food obsessed at the moment and will sometimes the others know about she thinks they are out for her food (or food she wants!) during feed time. Its very low level, just for show, and the other dogs back off. Other than that, she is perfectly fine. I don't have an issue as I can understand the reasons for her behaviour and they are logical - its both physical and hormonal (plus the fact that she thinks all the steak in the world is hers) so I just manage it and its not an issue.

However, if for instance, I had a bitch that was agressive with her own puppies (assuming that is not related to something like adjusting to a sudden litter after a ceaser) then no, I wouldn't use her again.

Yes, aggression at that time is not a huge issue and won't affect pet people as they will be desexed. Most of my girls get a little defensive at those times.

ETA I am assuming you mean with other dogs, not her own puppies. I would never breed a bitch that attacked her own babies and I doubt I would keep one of her babies either

Edited by cowanbree

Yes....without question!

Heck, I'm a narky bitch when I cycle so I'm not going to penalise my bitches for hormonal behaviour.

And why penalise a bitch who goes into full on "bitch" mode when she feels that her puppies are being threatened? Regardless of whether WE as humans think it is ok to handle puppies a lot, some bitches just don't see it that way. It is perfectly natural for a bitch with a litter to feel she needs to defend them and herself IMO.

Never had this but if I did Yes of course.

Hormones & pregnancy can make the loveliest of people cranky, tearful & have a complete change of their normal personality

Every dog is different & I know when I was having my 1st baby I burst into tears if someone even looked at me funny.

Totally out of character. Normally I would have said Are you staring at me :thumbsup:

Its your decision based on your experience with your own dogs. I am sure if there was a problem you wouldn't do it.

Nup. No way.

If a dog does not have a stable temperament, then it's out of the breeding program. I don't care when or where it shows any aggression. It is not to be tolerated in breeding stock. It can be passed onto the pups via learned or genetic traits. I don't want to risk or find out any of my puppies later on bit someone because of dicky temperament.

If you can run a bitch during those times normally without having aggression issues, then it is possible to run another with a stable temperament.

Only good examples should be bred from. This goes for everything there is about the animal.

I get what you're saying Mystiqview but I truly believe that hormonal influence is not something that should preclude an animal from a breeding program.

Why? Because hormonal issues can be dealt with effectively via desexing and as 99.9% of the dogs that I breed are desexed prior to, or at the start of sexual maturity, the issues will never really affect them or the people around them.

Only the owner who has seen the bitch can make the call,not people who have never seen her. That decision should be made on how the bitch is at other times, how her mother and father were.

If she was genuinely wanting to kill another dog, she would not be in my breeding program. Full stop. She might not survive past that day. The larger the breed, the sooner she would be chucked out.

Sway, you raised this thread to see what other breeders think, which I feel is a good idea.

Trouble is, the problems we see as "no problem" may well be a problem in the first, second and third generation, and if we aren't checking up on them, we don't know.

A snarl and a snap, - ok - "kill" - nuh. not on. For the good of the breed. And the good of the other dogs in the kennel.

Everyone has to make their own decision about that based on their own ideas about what is acceptable and what is ethical

Yep, wouldn't think twice.

imo it is normal, dogs need to be allowed to be dogs.

I don't have an issue with a bitch that protects her den and puppies and I will make allowances for hormones when they are in season. I've found they are usually fine if mated, it's when they don't get served and are going off, they have issue with the other girls.

Hormone influenced behaviour is not just limited to the need to protect their pups, I've seen bitches act terribly frightened and skittish the few weeks before they have their first season. They can also get the sulks and withdraw into themselves.

A change in a bitches temperament is well known to be a sign of a season. Taking into account the bleeding, flapping noo-noo and flagging anything that resembles a male (even my hubby in one girls case) Id pretty much say that bitch is in season lol.

Mine do change to a small degree, whether it is voicing thier opinion over everything, to snarling, but all have been great mothers, protective but not overly so. Lets humans touch her babies etc..

so YES i would. but if she was wanting to bite the hand day in day out, then id most likely desex her.

(actually its the boys that drive me nuts when i got a bitch in season)

I think there is a vast difference between "normal" narkiness when a bitch is at the mercy of her hormones, and totally over the top behaviour like actually trying to kill dogs she normally gets along with the rest of the time.

Just like it is normal for me to be a crabby bitch when my hormones are raging, but it would NOT be normal or acceptable for me to go into the kitchen, whip a cleaver out of the knife block and slay my OH. (No matter how justified I felt that act to be at the time. :clap: )

So, no I would NOT breed from a bitch who exhibited "over the top" hormonal aggression that put other dogs in serious jeopardy. I would (regretfully, for sure) have her spayed, and not risk her either passing that on to future generations or seriously harming the dogs around her at present.

I would however breed a girl who just got cranky when hormonal.. that's normal, and to be expected. Just like I would expect my other dogs to heed her clear and obvious warnings not to mess with her at that time. (And I would separate and keep safe any that did not heed her warnings).