Tell Me What Can Go Wrong In The Ring Iyo.

pixie_meg

I'm very new to showing and will be showing for the first time in a few weeks with a one year old dog who also hasn't been shown before. I've seen a couple of times show people huff about how their dog didn't do their best and i wonder what their dog did that they didn't like. I thought they stacked alright, i thought they moved ok. I'm wondering if i'm missing something critical about their movement. I've been practicing with my boy and he seems to stack ok and stay in the stack but will get distracted sometimes. occasionally he'll want to play which i get him to stop.

so what are people complaining about that has gone 'wrong'? What do you consider things that you or your dog do that might influence the judge negatively no matter how small they may be.

thanks heaps for your input from a newbie.

It's a very subjective thing.

When you're more experienced and accustomed to working with a particular dog, or dogs, it can be possible to even "feel" that the dog wasn't "on" whether mentally or physically. You can look down on a dog and see that it isn't gaiting normally, or that it has its mind elsewhere. They can break gait, they can toss heads, they can fidget, they can limp or pace, they can drop their tails or fly their tails.

When you're stacking them, they can A-frame, they can drop their backs, they can tense their necks or move their front or back feet and fidget. They can pant or poke their noses in the air. The coats can look wrong for various reasons.

There really isn't a hard and fast reason why somebody might be unhappy with their dogs........you'd probably have to ask the individual handler on the day.

From an experienced exhibitor (24 years in the show ring) to a newbie....the best investment you can make is a mirror in which you can stack your dog so that you can see your dog from the judge's view. Sometimes a dog looks or feels sensational when we've stacked it in our minds' eye but to somebody else looking on, it can look all wrong.

And if you can, get somebody to video you in the show ring. It can be very confronting to see what you actually do under pressure in the ring, but one of the best educational tools you can have.

The finer points people are talking about that you can't see are something you need to get your "eye" in on. I can see a lot more now than when I first started, it takes experience to look at a dog and handler and work out whether it's being presented to its best advantage or not. It's a bit like looking at a very out of focus picture and seeing it slowly, slowly, slowly coming into focus.

Basically you just have to chuck yourself in the deep end, study the bibles of your breed, get a breed mentor or two, watch a lot of judging, go to handling classes and remember that there is no one way to get it right, and not everyone agrees on what is right. Within a breed you'll hear a lot of debate, and a lot of different opinions. Until you work out what your opinions are, and get your eye in a bit more, your breeder should be able to tell you what your boy's strong and weak points are, and how to show him to best advantage.

Also, different judges are looking for different things and you only learn what they are looking for by experience. Clever handlers adjust how they show the dog to suit. You might please one judge by moving your boy like a bat out of hell, yet annoy the hell out of another judge for doing the same thing. Some judges have a thing about tail carriage, others don't, etc. One thing you can do - don't fuss over tweaking the weak points in the ring because you are saying "here they are!!" to the judge by doing that.

I think you are probably very details oriented and a perfectionist - that will stand you in great stead, but it's important not to let it paralyse you. It's in making mistakes that you learn the most. Each stuff up or error of judgment about how to show the dog (not the same thing) teaches you more.

PM, I've seen a few posts about how worried you are, you need to stop overthinking it and just DO IT BABY !!!

Do go to show training if you can, it will give you the confidence to know what you are doing, but by overthinking and becoming tense - you WILL set both of you up to feel anxious & therefore not at your best.

You might even notice the proliferation of the beverage drinking.....a small swig will certainly calm those newbie nerves (which by the way many of us have even after a while !!!)

In the ring is the same as in life, we learn as we go, sometimes you are in there and both the dog and yourself are in the zone and it feels perfect, other times you fumble or you are both out of step, the dog doesnt want to stand ect.

remember both or you are living beings and will have the odd off day.

Just smile, tell people that you are new and ENJOY !!!

fifi

PM, I've seen a few posts about how worried you are, you need to stop overthinking it and just DO IT BABY !!!

Do go to show training if you can, it will give you the confidence to know what you are doing, but by overthinking and becoming tense - you WILL set both of you up to feel anxious & therefore not at your best.

You might even notice the proliferation of the beverage drinking.....a small swig will certainly calm those newbie nerves (which by the way many of us have even after a while !!!)

In the ring is the same as in life, we learn as we go, sometimes you are in there and both the dog and yourself are in the zone and it feels perfect, other times you fumble or you are both out of step, the dog doesnt want to stand ect.

remember both or you are living beings and will have the odd off day.

Just smile, tell people that you are new and ENJOY !!!

fifi

I know it doesn't seem like it but i've been much more relaxed in the last week than i was before. I had some one on one show training with a borzoi person and she was very positive about how he was moving and when pushed about his faults she commented on his age and how its an awkward age, but that he was promising. Nice head and alert. I wanted to hear the negatives. I think i'll ask again. She has been super helpful. I know i'll have fun throwing ourselves in the ring.

As much as it sounds like i'm a perfectionist it probably more true that i am a knowledge freak with aspergers syndrome. I want/need to know everything about things i intend to do. doesn't produce a perfectionist at all unfortunately. lol. Just means i don't feel silly if i miss something. I'm really glad i've got the dog i do, he's an extrovert so he'll bring this introvert out.

Even before i decided to show i was reading about Borzoi structure and how it relates to performance and the standard. I love this stuff.

Thanks fifi, SSM and ellz. lots of good points. I have a video camera so i might set that up and see how it all looks.

You also have to remember that with some people if their dog doesn't do as well as they think they should, it will always be that the dog did something wrong. Be thankful they're aren't bad mouthing the judge (though I'm sure you've heard that too)

Some people showing many years ago used to have the most amazing domestics if their bitch didn't win - on one occasion she was last in a large class and apparently it was entirely because the bitch turned her head when some dogs in the next ring started barking. If she hadn't turned her head she would have no doubt won BiS

Don't worry about it all too much. Get one or two people you trust to give you advice and work on what they say. If other random people come up and give you advice, discuss it with your chosen people first, otherwise you'll confuse yourself and your dog trying different things all the time.

Enjoy yourself and your dog will too!

Two things to remember - If your dog doesn't shit in the ring, and you don't fall over, it's been a great day!!
IMO really not much can go wrong other then him biting a judge or another dog and you being reported.

Everything else is a learning curve

Well thats reassuring , thanks guys.

You also have to remember that with some people if their dog doesn't do as well as they think they should, it will always be that the dog did something wrong. Be thankful they're aren't bad mouthing the judge (though I'm sure you've heard that too)

Some people showing many years ago used to have the most amazing domestics if their bitch didn't win - on one occasion she was last in a large class and apparently it was entirely because the bitch turned her head when some dogs in the next ring started barking. If she hadn't turned her head she would have no doubt won BiS

I can definitely see that. drama llamas.

Two things to remember - If your dog doesn't shit in the ring, and you don't fall over, it's been a great day!!

:thumbsup::love::provoke: BOTH of which we have done with wild abandon !!!

Had the lead break and the dog finish the lap and stack for the judge while I stood there in the ring looking at empty lead !!!

Been nervous and couldn't hear the judge at my first show, ended up doing some geometric nightmare that was halfway between a triange & a circle.....more dodecahedron..... much to the judges disgust !!!

BUT the things that have gone right in the ring, I have focused on my beloved dogs, we have won & lost, made great friends, learned to avoid those that aren't so great, travelled to some fantastic shows, and have a reason to spend all our wages on more show stuff !!!!!

fifi

I think any exhibitor who doesn't admit to some pretty monumental stuff-ups in the ring, is kidding themselves.

I've had some pretty spectacular incidents, some incredibly embarrassing ones and some really, really enjoyable ones.

But every time you go in the ring is a different day and anything might happen. Those who know me well know that ANY day in which I actually remain upright in the ring is a MAJOR triumph! :thumbsup:

Those who know me well know that ANY day in which I actually remain upright in the ring is a MAJOR triumph! :love:

:thumbsup::provoke: Hey, my BIG spectacular somersault fall is somewhere on VIDEO !!! :D

Everytime I see a show like funniest home video's, I keep expecting mine to appear !

Pixiemeg, I watched a longtime pro have a slip in the mud last week, he hung onto the lead, jumped and and laughed the rest of the way !! really doesn't happen all that often though.

Just don't take it all too seriously, those that do must give themselves ulcers I think !!

fifi

PM.. I think you've been given some excellent advice here :D

I was in the same place about 10 months ago with an inexperienced dog (with no coat :D) and an inexperienced handler (with no clue).. you really do work it out and people are so exceptionally helpful...often you will find you walk out of the ring and someone says 'too fast' 'too slow' 'too much fiddling' 'not enough fiddling' you get the idea... ultimately listen to what they say and then decide whether it is useful or not :D

I did just want to make one comment, you said that you want to hear the negative feedback as well.. just make sure you hear the positive too.. I was so keen to hear the faults to see what I could do about them that I didn't listen enough to the strengths :) and you need a good balance.

Other than that.. good luck.. I'm sure you will do brilliantly.

My sentiments exactly :D

I was mortified when Sessy poo'd in the ring at our last show :D I could have died :D

ETA: you have a great dog from a great breeder, so go and kick some bum and enjoy yourself.

Edited by ReadySetGo

FIRST TIME AT A DOG SHOW

First time at a dog show, I’ll tell you quite plain

I’ll never, no never go near one again!

The breeder said ‘show him’, when I brought my dog,

I showed him alright – the place was agog.

They gave me a number, they gave me a pin

But I couldn’t bear to stick the thing in

So I rushed to the shop and bought some clear glue,

Then I stuck the card to his back in the loo.

We arrived at the ringside to find we were first

In the puppy dog class (This part is the worst)

We walked in together as fast as we were able,

Arrived at the judge who said… ‘Up on the table’.

This really surprised me, my skirt was quite tight,

And I couldn’t quite make it, try as I might.

The judge looked a bit worried, he said ‘Listen here

Put your dog on the table, not you my dear’

By now I was trembling, I felt such a fool

But I said to myself ‘Just play it cool’

‘How old?’ asked the judge, I heard it quite clear

‘Really’ I thought and said… ’30 next year’

The steward, poor fellow, threw some sort of fit

He spluttered, he coughed and his eyes ran a bit.

‘I’d have that cough seen to,’ I said to him when

He’d finally stopped… then he started again.

‘Once round the ring dear, as fast as you can’

Said the judge, so I did, I just ran and ran.

But when I arrived back (out of breath I admit)

The judge said… ‘With your dog dear’ I felt such a twit.

Off round once again, I kept my head bent.

Oh the shame as my pup crouched, he just went and went.

A lady came running with bucket and spade

With manure so pricey has she got it made!

We came back to the judge, who said with a frown

‘Stand your dog’ – I said ‘Please, Sir, he’s not lying down’

‘You can take first place stand’ he said, and I said ‘Ta’

What a job I had getting that stand in the car!!!

(Welsh Terrier Club Members Handbook 2008)

FIRST TIME AT A DOG SHOW

First time at a dog show, I’ll tell you quite plain

I’ll never, no never go near one again!

The breeder said ‘show him’, when I brought my dog,

I showed him alright – the place was agog.

They gave me a number, they gave me a pin

But I couldn’t bear to stick the thing in

So I rushed to the shop and bought some clear glue,

Then I stuck the card to his back in the loo.

We arrived at the ringside to find we were first

In the puppy dog class (This part is the worst)

We walked in together as fast as we were able,

Arrived at the judge who said… ‘Up on the table’.

This really surprised me, my skirt was quite tight,

And I couldn’t quite make it, try as I might.

The judge looked a bit worried, he said ‘Listen here

Put your dog on the table, not you my dear’

By now I was trembling, I felt such a fool

But I said to myself ‘Just play it cool’

‘How old?’ asked the judge, I heard it quite clear

‘Really’ I thought and said… ’30 next year’

The steward, poor fellow, threw some sort of fit

He spluttered, he coughed and his eyes ran a bit.

‘I’d have that cough seen to,’ I said to him when

He’d finally stopped… then he started again.

‘Once round the ring dear, as fast as you can’

Said the judge, so I did, I just ran and ran.

But when I arrived back (out of breath I admit)

The judge said… ‘With your dog dear’ I felt such a twit.

Off round once again, I kept my head bent.

Oh the shame as my pup crouched, he just went and went.

A lady came running with bucket and spade

With manure so pricey has she got it made!

We came back to the judge, who said with a frown

‘Stand your dog’ – I said ‘Please, Sir, he’s not lying down’

‘You can take first place stand’ he said, and I said ‘Ta’

What a job I had getting that stand in the car!!!

(Welsh Terrier Club Members Handbook 2008)

reminds of a joke about showing an afghan in its natural coat. cant find the link though.