What's The Process For Declaring A Dog Dangerous After A Fight?

ruthless

A friend's dog was involved in a minor scuffle at an off lead park. The other owner is trying to have my friend's dog declared dangerous. Does anyone know what the full process is? My friend's freaking out that their dog will have to be muzzled and live in a cage based on the other owner's statement.

Basically, if council feels that the dog poses a risk, they can issue the owner with a " notice of intent " to declare the dog to dangerous.

The owner can contact council and put forward a case before the notice is issued.

If council chooses to go ahead with the notice, the owner can opt to fight it in court or appeal to council. During that time the dog must be muzzled in public, onleash at all times etc.

If declared, unlike being declared "restricted" the order can be revoked after 6 months if council wants to.

If they want a hand in getting a submission to council, before the NOI process starts , I can help them. Of they can go down the road of engaging a solicitor now, my experience has been that most councils will back down, if the incident was not serious.

Thanks. I think there must be steps before that though. The council wouldn't just take one owner's word against another surely. Is there a temp test?

K9: They actually will Ruth, the owners view isnt always part of the investigation... We deal with a lot of these and there are some steps your friend can take if they move now.

Get them to give me a call I can advise them what to do.

Have a look at this link also...

DDD 1

Thanks. I think there must be steps before that though. The council wouldn't just take one owner's word against another surely. Is there a temp test?

K9: They actually will Ruth, the owners view isnt always part of the investigation... We deal with a lot of these and there are some steps your friend can take if they move now.

Get them to give me a call I can advise them what to do.

Have a look at this link also...

DDD 1

Will do, thanks :)

Now don't jump on me from a dizzy height.

I am playing Devils Advocate here.

What if the person lodging the complaint is in the right.......just food for thought. :)

Council or Court can decide who they think is in the right.

Regardless of what happened, the owner of the dog is still entitled to put a well prepared submission to Council and to defend their dogs actions.

Owners who sit back and do nothing, will almost certainly be looking at a dangerous dog declaration, if the owner of the other dog chooses to push the issue with council.

What if the person lodging the complaint is in the right.......just food for thought. :)

K9: It is a good point, and worth thinking about however, we get a lot of these cases come our way and the vast majority of them are dogs that are far from deserving of this fate, it seems people with the "real" dangerous dogs keep them out of the spotlight.

Rarely is the judgement deserved...

Council or Court can decide who they think is in the right.

Regardless of what happened, the owner of the dog is still entitled to put a well prepared submission to Council and to defend their dogs actions.

Owners who sit back and do nothing, will almost certainly be looking at a dangerous dog declaration, if the owner of the other dog chooses to push the issue with council.

I totally agree.

As I said food for thought. :laugh:

• 3 weeks later...

K9: He actually discussed with the council the fact that he was going to fight the case with a temp assessment & we had asked him to get some paperwork together, references etc and armed with those and the fact that his dog wasnt guilty, they dropped the case.

Which is a great result :laugh: