Constipation.... My Boy Has It!

Hey Guys,

My boy is constipated and I am wondering if anyone can offer me some help in home remedies.

He is perfectly fine and still himself but he is trying to do poo's and you can see the struggle, he thinks he passes when he hasn't and starts scratching the ground. He did have a little bit of wind just before whilst trying but that was it.

His diet hasn't changed at all for the past 4 months.

Is there anything I can offer him to help him have a bowel movement or does it require a trip to the vets?

You can try a little bit of vegetable oil OR a little bit of cooked mashed pumpkin the amount depends on the size of the dog and age

The problem with continuing to feed a dog that aren't pooping is that it does end up being a blockage then you can make the problem a lot worse.

How much exercise dog he get?

You can try a little bit of vegetable oil OR a little bit of cooked mashed pumpkin the amount depends on the size of the dog and age

The problem with continuing to feed a dog that aren't pooping is that it does end up being a blockage then you can make the problem a lot worse.

How much exercise dog he get?

Thank you Sandra. I popped some vegetable oil in his dinner so hopefully that helps otherwise I'll run him up to the vets.

He gets walked regularly and we run around the backyard a lot. He has a respiratory problem and heart murmur so we don't like pushing him anymore then he pushes himself.

When my whippet Feather became constipated after eating too much bone the vet prescribed electrolyes to be syringed into her mouth every hour until I went to bed. I gave her much more than he said to, every time I woke up, I'd give her more. She probably had at least half a litre overnight but didn't go out for a wee once, which to me meant she was using the fluids in some other way. In the morning she went and did a big poo and all was well then. :)

I'd say get lots fluids into him to help soften it. How about chicken broth.

have you tried warm water and dishwashing liquid up bottom ...ps do it out side :rofl:

Oh really!?! I might be being a little precious but I don't know that I'd really want to be putting dishwashing liquid in his backside! Is that actually safe?

When my whippet Feather became constipated after eating too much bone the vet prescribed electrolyes to be syringed into her mouth every hour until I went to bed. I gave her much more than he said to, every time I woke up, I'd give her more. She probably had at least half a litre overnight but didn't go out for a wee once, which to me meant she was using the fluids in some other way. In the morning she went and did a big poo and all was well then. :laugh:

I'd say get lots fluids into him to help soften it. How about chicken broth.

This sounds like a good idea, I was smelling a lot of gas this morning probably thanks to the vegetable oil and when I went outside there was 3 fresh poo's but I have a little foster girl that arrived yesterday and I'm not sure if they are hers. Two were a very light colour which I've never seen Oscar have and the other was his usual colour so I assumed that was his. I have seperated them so I will be able to determine if he has passed it yet when I get home, but I will pick up some electrolyes on my way home, always something good to have on hand anyways. Thank you ;)

a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in a litre of warm water enema is safe (unless you use a lemon one LOL) it's getting it up there thats the fun bit

Castor oil, just a teaspoon and plenty of water to drink to help soften the poo.

I should've mentioned how I got her to drink so much. I found if she was sitting up and I used the syringe it would just dribble out of her mouth, but if I gently pushed her so she'd lay flat and then just slowly squirted the syringe in the corner of her mouth, she drank it all. In fact once she realised what I was doing she took it willingly, I think she even liked it. Make sure if you get electrolytes you make it to the recommended dose.

a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid in a litre of warm water enema is safe (unless you use a lemon one LOL) it's getting it up there thats the fun bit

Castor oil, just a teaspoon and plenty of water to drink to help soften the poo.

:laugh: Ouch.. Lemon would burn!

Enemas are effective- however they should not be attempted without first being taught how.Lots to go wrong .

I have always found HEAPS of fluid by mouth, and a dose of paraffin oil will sort things out overnight.

perse I have zero experience in performing such a thing so I wouldn't be willing to do this to my boy.

I should've mentioned how I got her to drink so much. I found if she was sitting up and I used the syringe it would just dribble out of her mouth, but if I gently pushed her so she'd lay flat and then just slowly squirted the syringe in the corner of her mouth, she drank it all. In fact once she realised what I was doing she took it willingly, I think she even liked it. Make sure if you get electrolytes you make it to the recommended dose.

I will buy a syringe today and see how we go! I knew drinking would definitely help but I wasn't sure how to get the monster to drink more. I guess a little forceful discomfort is better then tummy cramps and possible discomfort.

...and if he still hasn't done aything by this afternoon- the vet might be a good plan. The more faecal matter sits around inside, the dryer and harder it gets, and so on.

Also- sometimes 'constipation' can be a blockage.

I definitely don't want a blockage! I'll pick some stuff up on my way home from work, check the yard, hopefully he has had a bowel movement by then, if not I will take him for a nice long walk, if that fails we'll be off to the vets. My poor little man :laugh:

:thumbsup: Ouch.. Lemon would burn!

Enemas are effective- however they should not be attempted without first being taught how.Lots to go wrong .

I have always found HEAPS of fluid by mouth, and a dose of paraffin oil will sort things out overnight.

perse I have zero experience in performing such a thing so I wouldn't be willing to do this to my boy.

I will buy a syringe today and see how we go! I knew drinking would definitely help but I wasn't sure how to get the monster to drink more. I guess a little forceful discomfort is better then tummy cramps and possible discomfort.

You might not need to force him. Try getting him to lay down on his side, with his head flat too and just gently drizzle the water/liquid in the corner of his mouth. You could try buying or making some chicken stock, he might drink that willingly anyway. I'd probably hold off feeding him for now, unless it was soup.