Border Collie - South Australia

peto2710

Hi,

I'm looking for a companion dog for my 4 year old border collie. I would like another border, but not necessirily a puppy. If any breeders have dogs which you think may be suitable please let me know. I live at the beach, so daily runs along the beach are definetly supplied!!!! I have a smallish backyard, but my BC gets plenty of exercise!!

Thanks

Personally I believe it's better to have 2 dogs. Two who get on really well and are able to have some fun together. It eases the mind when you're awya at work knowing they have company.

Here are some more pics of the lovely Zahra who Reverend Jo is fostering in SA:

post-3931-1287982025_thumb.jpg

post-3931-1287982038_thumb.jpg

Edited by westielover

Zahra would be fine with a dog, I am not sure about her being placed with another female. My coolie bitch will play with her, but she resource guards (my girl) and Zahra doesn't back down so have to keep them apart. She has been fine with any dogs I've tried her with and she happily lives with my shih tzu with no issues.

http://www.dogzonline.com.au/breeds/mature/border-collie.asp

There is a list of the mature dogs available from various breeders on DOL. Not sure if thats any use to you or not.

Cool thanks, Do you guys think that it is better to have one border or two?

Thanks

I like to have at least two, a few years apart in age. Mine have always played together but I have never introduced an adult into the mix. Each addition has always been a puppy so the older dog can help raise it the way they want to. Male / female works best but two of the same sex can be fine so long as the younger one is not of a more dominant nature than the older one. Many people have more than one male BC running together, provided they don't also have entire females. Once you add girls to the yard the boys tend to not get on as well.

There are several show breeders in SA. Give them all a call and see if anyone has an older puppy or young adult that they have decided to move on. Many breeders run on more than one puppy at a time and then pick the best show dog as they mature, rehoming the others. It can be a good way to buy an already trained young dog.

• 1 month later...
Hi,

I'm looking for a companion dog for my 4 year old border collie. I would like another border, but not necessirily a puppy. If any breeders have dogs which you think may be suitable please let me know. I live at the beach, so daily runs along the beach are definetly supplied!!!! I have a smallish backyard, but my BC gets plenty of exercise!!

Thanks

hi there,

i have a gorgeous 10 month old blue merle bc.

her name is Suri.

she is desexed, vacc, and micro chipped, grade 3 obedience trained, she also rolls over and does high 5's, she is house trained, travells well in the car, good with kids, cats, chooks and big dogs......however she doesnt like little dogs (which is why we have to rehome her)

she is a gorgeous girl and will be sadly missed.

we are asking for a wonderful home and $450.00 to help cover some costs.

if you are interested you can either email me or call on ... 0418 851 118

kindest regards

jodie

I have 2 male BCs who get along fine 99% of the time but do have the occasional spat. One is entire and the other desexed and it is the desexed male who usually starts it. It has never amounted to anything but could be a problem if allowed to escalate. A male and female is easier.