Dog Registration - Help Needed Describing Colour

koalathebear

I'm registering Hoover and the ACT Government form has Kelpie but doesn't have red and tan although they have other colour pairings.

This is how he looks:

vacuum10.jpg

vacuum13.jpg

I can only pick one of the following though.

colours.jpg

Any suggestions? Do you think "red" would be the most accurate?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure it doesn't really matter at the end of the day but I'd like to get it close just in case it does matter one day.

Edited by koalathebear

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose red is best. :rofl:

He is technically a tricolour though isn't he? But I know most would associate that with black tan and white.

Thanks. I think tricolour works well because he does have a bit of white on him. I was hesitant to call him red because my image of a solid red Kelpie is a lot different from a red and tan. If he ever got lost we'd have photos etc but I was trying to make it as accurate as I could. Thanks for that! OH and I were going around in circles in our discussion. :rofl:

Edited by koalathebear

My old red n tan went in as red. It is more for identification purpose so since red is in his colouring i would stick with that.

NB- I wouldnt do tri-colour because it is not a colour term associated with kelpies at all!!

Edited by ~Woofen~

I would call him Choc and tan.

Where are those colour choices from??

ACT has online registration. The form is here and those are the only colour options available. I'm guessing it's for if the dog is ever lost or something but I'd definitely be relying on photos and an accurate description rather than the limited description available on the ACT government database :rofl:

My old red n tan went in as red. It is more for identification purpose so since red is in his colouring i would stick with that.

NB- I wouldnt do tri-colour because it is not a colour term associated with kelpies at all!!

Hmm, they might think he's a cav? :rofl:

OK ... so the choices are tri-colour or red and red sounds like it might be most accurate as he is mostly red.

But they have colours listed that kelpies don't come in?? Colours they do come in aren't listed, very stupid.

It's very stupid :rofl: Those are all the colours available for dogs overall, not just Kelpies and alas there's no red and tan.

The breed thing is worse. At least Hoover's a purebred Kelpie, they don't have the option to say that your dog is a crossbreed (although they do have Labradoodle) and list the breed mixes so for Elbie who is a Kelpie x Border Collie, I had to register him as a Kelpie which isn't accurate. As mentioned though, if either dog was lost, we have lots of photos so it wouldn't matter that much, it's just that the database description isn't that correct.

ETA screen cap:

labradoodle.jpg

Edited by koalathebear

I'm registering Hoover and the ACT Government form has Kelpie but doesn't have red and tan although they have other colour pairings.

I can only pick one of the following though.

colours.jpg

Any suggestions? Do you think "red" would be the most accurate?

Thanks in advance! I'm sure it doesn't really matter at the end of the day but I'd like to get it close just in case it does matter one day.

Typical government idiocy. Who ever heard of a tabby dog? So many dog colours are not on that list that it is useless.

I would just call him red as it is his main pigment colour.

I didn't realise you already had your new addition. He is lovely looking Kelpie. How old is he and where did you end up buying him from?

I didn't even notice tabby as an option :rofl: What's grizzle? (Besides what I tell the kids in my class not to do when they don't get their own way lol)

Grizzle is actually a colour in at least one breed standard. Can't remember which breed though. It is a grey mixture.