Where Can I Buy A Dominant Dog Collar In Brisbane

Tilly

Why would you want such a collar ? What's your dog doing to make you think you need one for your dog? If you get one do you know how to use it effectively without damaging the dog physically or mentally ?

Edited by Tapferhund

from k9pro

Dominant Dog Collars

AKA

Nylon Choke Collars

These are simple braided nylon rope collars that are used by many professionals to train aggressive or over reactive dogs. They are not used as a correction collar but rather a collar to take drive out of a dog and restore control.

If you do not know how to use one of these collars, best dont buy one.

You will see a similar one used on the Dog Whisperer show.

How do they take drive out of a dog?

How do they take drive out of a dog?

See the "Cesar Millan Poll" thread for some discussion towards the end. Please note that the video (of CM) is a very poor example and should not be used as an indication, some trainers (such as Cosmolo and Nekhbet) have provided more appropriate information in that thread.

Some trainers suggest that the technique is more of an "emergency" procedure, though deliberately utilised in extreme cases.

The dominant dog collar on k9pro looks like the show collars I use on my dogs and puppies when showing them - they are from the US and 4 braided strength. Not sure how the collar itself would make a difference to an aggressive or dominant dog.

However the placement of up under the earline and kept firm / close fitting (not strangling) gives you control of the dog and puts the dog into the 'mother grip' which is a dominance act on your behalf. This act reduces the drive in the dog not the collar - though I guess a collar of this type tends to stay up in this position and doesn't slip down with an inexperienced handler. I would recommend seeing a trainer in your area to help with your dog (not sure of your exp level sorry).

puts the dog into the 'mother grip' which is a dominance act on your behalf. This act reduces the drive in the dog not the collar

No, it's the asphyxiation that takes the dog out of drive. Have a look at some of the other info posted.

puts the dog into the 'mother grip' which is a dominance act on your behalf. This act reduces the drive in the dog not the collar

No, it's the asphyxiation that takes the dog out of drive. Have a look at some of the other info posted.

If you need to asphyxiate a dog to control it you shouldn't have dogs. IMO :thumbsup:. That is just taking it too far and is an act of cruelty - if you have a dog that is that out of control then you should move on to a pinch collar or an electric collar. But ofcourse all this type of equipment should be used with only full knowledge of how it should be used properly and with respect for the life on the end of the lead.

Anyone who has ever had a litter of puppies is shown the right way to apply the 'mother grip' and I have never seen a bitch asphyxiate a puppy in order to control it. Ofcourse then we have the discussion of genetics - some matings just should never be done to produce dogs that go into normal family homes.

I have one for each of my dogs. Marketed under the name of a volhard collar, cheap as chips

and is a dream to walk my ridgeback girl on. It sits in the correct position and doesn't slide down her neck therefore when a correction is needed to be made I can do it instantly. Much easier to use than a check chain and more efective to use than a limited slip collar. I didn't even realise there was a different name for them and a different use.

Tilly, pm me if you would like to try the sizes of the collars I have here. I'm in the logan area.

If you need to asphyxiate a dog to control it you shouldn't have dogs. IMO :D . That is just taking it too far and is an act of cruelty - if you have a dog that is that out of control then you should move on to a pinch collar or an electric collar.

I disagree.

For some dogs a pinch/prong correction is only going to ramp them up more. A DD collar used properly is a perfectly viable option for these dogs. (Keeping in mind that we are not talking about your average pet dog here).

This argument has been done to death in the training forum, no need to do it again here.

But ofcourse all this type of equipment should be used with only full knowledge of how it should be used properly and with respect for the life on the end of the lead.

This^ I agree with 100% :laugh:

Some people would say if you need to use pinch or electric or check collar on a dog, then you shouldn't have the dog. :D

But agreed, not something you should be playing round with if you don't know what you're doing or have professional guidance.

There is a very good description on how they are used (including pics) on the Leerburg site

http://leerburg.com/746.htm

Also sounds like a great way to hurt your dog and do some lasting damage..

I heel the dog to this location and attach the line to the dominant dog collar. At that point I will do something that causes the dog to attack me. When he does I offer the arm with the hidden sleeve. When the dog is biting the arm the second handler will raise the dogs 4 feet off the ground. I remain totally calm and look the dog in the eye and tell him he will not bite me.

The dog stays there until he passes out. Then he is lowered to the ground and lies there until he regains consciousness. Then we start again. Usually these kind of dogs will only have to be hung 2 or 3 times and they quickly learn that you are a big person - the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time. This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this.

Taken directly from the page linked.

I'm afraid I'm with Bisart Dobes on this one; if you have to literally hang the dog until it passes out (just to prove to the dog what a clever, big person you are :rofl: ) in my opinion, you probably shouldn't have pets.

There is a very good description on how they are used (including pics) on the Leerburg site

I heel the dog to this location and attach the line to the dominant dog collar. At that point I will do something that causes the dog to attack me. When he does I offer the arm with the hidden sleeve. When the dog is biting the arm the second handler will raise the dogs 4 feet off the ground. I remain totally calm and look the dog in the eye and tell him he will not bite me.

The dog stays there until he passes out. Then he is lowered to the ground and lies there until he regains consciousness. Then we start again. Usually these kind of dogs will only have to be hung 2 or 3 times and they quickly learn that you are a big person - the way they look at it is that you have the power to kill them at any time. This is a big big point in establishing dominance with dogs like this.

I'm afraid I'm with Bisart Dobes on this one; if you have to literally hang the dog until it passes out (just to prove to the dog what a clever, big person you are :rofl: ) in my opinion, you probably shouldn't have pets.

Well you've taken that bit totally out of context. Did you read the "Extremely Handler Aggressive Dogs" title above it? I'd rather train an extremely aggro dog using "harsh methods" than euthanizing it.

Besides that, it doesn't always have to be used in that way. As the comments say, it's used a lot for showing and even I have a collar that looks a little bit like that (or at least works in the same way) for showing my puppy. All because the collar can be used to strangle a dog, it doesn't mean it will necessarily be used that way.

I have one of these. It's no different to a check chain, except that it doesn't need to be slipped over the head to put on, so you can size it to fit correctly higher up.

Orbit doesn't have aggression problems - I simply have more control with him with a collar in a high up position. It helped dramatically with his walking position and now I hardly use it.

Well you've taken that bit totally out of context. Did you read the "Extremely Handler Aggressive Dogs" title above it? I'd rather train an extremely aggro dog using "harsh methods" than euthanizing it.

Besides that, it doesn't always have to be used in that way. As the comments say, it's used a lot for showing and even I have a collar that looks a little bit like that (or at least works in the same way) for showing my puppy. All because the collar can be used to strangle a dog, it doesn't mean it will necessarily be used that way.

No dog should be hung from its neck until it loses consciousness. Period.

Personally, I'd rather see a dog humanely PTS than treated in a way that would be very distressing to the dog and risks terrible permanent damage.

Personally, I'd rather see a dog humanely PTS than treated in a way that would be very distressing to the dog and risks terrible permanent damage.

I would never say never. Who knows what situation could crop up in an emergency, if I had to choke a dog to stop it from attacking a person or another dog I would do so, absolutely.

I don't think I would be emotionally capable nor even professionally confident of taking a dog to the point of loss of consciousness and I would certainly be distressed at seeing this occur - but I would also be very reluctant to condemn a dog to death if it were the fact (as stated on the Leerburg Video) that two or three times would have the dog not aggressing upon a handler and evading the death sentence.

Edited by Erny