Help With Photo Bucket

tlc

I do have flickr, and I just uploaded my pic of Coop for the 52 weeks and it went thier no worries, it just seems to be here that it is saying exceds band width? Very strange, the PB account does not tell me that I am over my limit, my old one did, told me when I was close to exceeding the limit so I just made a new account. Ill go back and look at an old thread and see if its the same.

Just found this, Still think it is strange as I didn't think I had posted all that many pics this month, im sure there has been others that I have posted more. and why would it let me post to flickr but not here? Anyway I will wait till my date clicks over and hope the ones i have posted here show up them.

Bandwidth is used when digital content is viewed from a link you posted on another website or sent in an email (e.g., MySpace, eBay, message boards, etc.). Bandwidth is a measure of the number of bytes passed over time via direct linking. It is calculated by adding up the size of each of your images or videos as they are sent from Photobucket. The “Monthly Bandwidth" number is the amount of bandwidth you have used within the last month. The month is determined by the day of the month you registered your account.

Example

You have various images of 25K each in size that are viewed by 100 users on your favorite message board in one day. You also have one video of 15000K that is viewed by 10 users in one day. 25K * 100 requests = 2500K (or 2.5MB). 15000K * 10 requests = 150000K (or 1500MB). When you add the two together, you have used 152.5MB of bandwidth in one day.

Important! Do not confuse bandwidth with your album size.

Bandwidth usage is unmetered for Pro accounts, however Photobucket reserves the right to disable direct linking on accounts that use excessive bandwidth or are otherwise abusing the system. Free accounts are allowed 10GB of bandwidth per month, and Pro accounts are unmetered. 10GB is hundreds of thousands of images viewed via direct links, and the value resets each month on the anniversary of the day you registered.

Bandwidth resets each month on the anniversary of the day you originally registered.

Example: You registered on the 5th of June, and your bandwidth will reset on the 5th of each month thereafter.

I just had the same thing, I tried deleting heaps of photos but it didn't fix it. So I relented and paid I think it was just over $20 to go to there higher level.

I also learnt if you put a photo onto a web sight or in a signature it will disappear if you remove the photo from photo bucket.I know that makes sense but I couldn't work it out at first.

Yes I found that out too! Thought Id delete soem pics to make room not realizing if I had psoted them to a forum (which I did) they wouldn't be there any more. Strange thing is I think there has been months when I have posted a lot more pics than I have this month and it has never happened before. I also resize my pics before I upload them to PB. ANyway no matter I will eb right again on 23rd. Hope my siggy comes back then and all the pics I have posted.

It just goes to show that your pics have been VERY popular this month... *grin*

When I had the rescue thread about Milo, my bandwidth exceeded very quickly - everyone loved Milo pics! I got lucky with the timing when posting Winston's pics this month, or I'm sure I'd have exceeded the bandwidth on his pics too...

If this starts to happen regularly, you may want to look into paying the small amount that Photobucket charges for their unlimited bandwidth accounts...

T.

It just goes to show that your pics have been VERY popular this month... *grin*

When I had the rescue thread about Milo, my bandwidth exceeded very quickly - everyone loved Milo pics! I got lucky with the timing when posting Winston's pics this month, or I'm sure I'd have exceeded the bandwidth on his pics too...

If this starts to happen regularly, you may want to look into paying the small amount that Photobucket charges for their unlimited bandwidth accounts...

T.

It's wierd though I am sure there has been months where I have posted more photos?

Anyway problem is fixed now, my date clicked over to a new month.

I had this happen to me, so I just opened a new Photobucket account. :) Problem solved. :laugh:

I will keep that in mind for future reference. Thanks

Sorry I got to this post too late. It's not the number of photos you have, it's how many times people access them/download them. if there are people who are hyperlinking to them, it can really kill your bandwidth. I once lost access to all of my photos just because someone on some bulletin board was hotlinking to them. It's pretty frustrating. All your pictures are fine again now though :)

Ah ok, I didn't realize that, so does that mean if people open a thread I make with my photos in it then that attributes to it? 10 gig seems like a huge amount, thats my limit.

Ah ok, I didn't realize that, so does that mean if people open a thread I make with my photos in it then that attributes to it? 10 gig seems like a huge amount, thats my limit.

Yup. Each person who accessed it will be counted as downloading it. that's why I resize all of my photos and save them as web quality (no more than 166K). For people who upload photos that are 1-2 meg, if they uploaded 6 photos in a post then that's 12 meg each time someone accesses that thread. :laugh:

10 gig is a lot but there are a LOT of people who use DOL - not just registered users, also the guests etc.

ETA: I've noticed that you already DO resize all your images and you don't have those huge whopping image files that some people do. The only think that I can think of is if there has been a sudden spike in your download rate i.e. you've never had this problem before, then someone on a website or forum must be posting a direct link to your photos. I think there are reverse searches you can do to see who is linking to certain images. For instance, for me, I discovered that there was some Prison Break bulletin board linking to some pic spams I used to do, which is why my Photobucket account got torpedoed that month :)

Edited by koalathebear

It's yet another reason I always resize my images before uploading anywhere.

Not everyone knows how to resize images but it's nicer when they do. On some computers, the settings will automatically 'resize' the images so that you can see them but on my home computer, those 1-2 meg images are HUGE and sometimes all I can see is a dog nose. :thumbsup: