Taking Aust. Vets To Court?

yap

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they have it is rare. Most of the time they go like doctors, either the AVA (if they are members) do something or the Vet board will apply disciplinary action.

if it is monetary then you have to lodge a complaint through your states civil court and hire a very good barrister if you want results, or good luck proving any true criminal negligence if you want it through the criminal justice system.

Over here it's more usual to complain to the vet council, who will penalise the vet if they find they've been unreasonably negligent & can't defend their actions satisfactorily. I presume Aussie would be similar. I have no idea if you could sue a vet in a civil court, I guess you probably could, but I'd think you'd have more chance of getting satisfaction through the Vet Council.

Over here it's more usual to complain to the vet council, who will penalise the vet if they find they've been unreasonably negligent & can't defend their actions satisfactorily. I presume Aussie would be similar. I have no idea if you could sue a vet in a civil court, I guess you probably could, but I'd think you'd have more chance of getting satisfaction through the Vet Council.

Yes we got reply back yesterday from vet board, so far only vets response which there is a large number of lies in. We can however prove quite a lot for the wrongful death of our beautiful girl. Its been 5mths now & still finding it very difficult to let go of all the suffering witnessed. Only found 1 Solicitor who will has successfully sued a human doctor. he will take case on. Does anyone know of any solicitors that will take on Vets?

Yes we got reply back yesterday from vet board, so far only vets response which there is a large number of lies in. We can however prove quite a lot for the wrongful death of our beautiful girl. Its been 5mths now & still finding it very difficult to let go of all the suffering witnessed. Only found 1 Solicitor who will has successfully sued a human doctor. he will take case on. Does anyone know of any solicitors that will take on Vets?

You could try ringing the Queensland Law Society (not sure if that is what it is called in QLD) and seeing if they have any members who have dealt with those types of cases, look at those who do human medical negligence??? maybe.

If I couldnt' get a personal recommendation here, I would ring the NSW Law Society and see if they could be of any assistance, they might have lists of people with specialties.

Be prepared for it to be exxy though..

Does the vet board have arbitration procedures, have you had a look at their procedure for dealing with complaints when they are not resolved. There is usually a procedural pathway.

What was the response from the Vet Council? Do you mean they haven't finished investigating yet? If it were me, I'd hold fire until the investigation was over & see what they find. Have you been allowed to submit evidence or testify?

From my understanding, the vet will be penalised if they have clearly been negligent or have did something that a good vet should not do or otherwise have breached the code of professional conduct. If they did something that was a reasonable option but had unfortunate consequences, they won't be penalised, since sometimes even the best vet won't get it right. At least that's the way it works over here. I guess Aussie could be different.

I think most cases of Negligence or other, are dealt with by the Vet Surgeons Board.

Are you able to give a bit more information so people can offer advice?

Need support to get voice out there, wish we could name these bad vets, 2 Vets gave no information on tablets given which turned out to be 'not for use in animals' by the TGA. Large doses given which severlely dehydrated her. found out through their report they overhydrated her also, no mention of front leg swollen 3 times the size.

The cruel suffering witnessed after being allowed to take her home when she was supposed to be monitored very closely on these god so forgiven "tablets".

The list is endless. Oh please please anyone that can help, these vets really do need to be"held accountable" Have lost a child.!!

Few years back, there was a case involving a vet just outside the Brisbane area. There was a successful outcome for the pet dog's owners.

Sorry, I can't remember the details, but it was reported in newspapers, so it'd have to be archived somewhere.

Found it. Mentioned in a 2004 article by Helen Wellings on Pet Owners' Rights.

http://www.7perth.com.au/view/today-tonigh...20050607142928/

Edited by mita

I think most cases of Negligence or other, are dealt with by the Vet Surgeons Board.

Need support to get voice out there, wish we could name these bad vets, 2 Vets gave no information on tablets given which turned out to be 'not for use in animals' by the TGA. Large doses given which severlely dehydrated her. found out through their report they overhydrated her also, no mention of front leg swollen 3 times the size.

The cruel suffering witnessed after being allowed to take her home when she was supposed to be monitored very closely on these god so forgiven "tablets".

The list is endless. Oh please please anyone that can help, these vets really do need to be"held accountable" Have lost a child.!!

You need to call these guys first...

http://www.vsb.qld.gov.au/

Are you able to elaborate on the 'over hydration'?

Sorry, just trying to offer advice.

Edited by stormie

What was the response from the Vet Council? Do you mean they haven't finished investigating yet? If it were me, I'd hold fire until the investigation was over & see what they find. Have you been allowed to submit evidence or testify?

From my understanding, the vet will be penalised if they have clearly been negligent or have did something that a good vet should not do or otherwise have breached the code of professional conduct. If they did something that was a reasonable option but had unfortunate consequences, they won't be penalised, since sometimes even the best vet won't get it right. At least that's the way it works over here. I guess Aussie could be different.

Just the ist response back from vet board so far, writing back to continue investigating, contacting solicitor also. just need as much info as possible as they really do need to be held accountable once & for all for all people that have been in this position as the greiving is very real & it needs to be recognised.

Few years back, there was a court case involving a vet just outside the Brisbane area. There was a successful outcome for the pet dog's owners.

Sorry, I can't remember the details, but it was reported in newspapers, so it'd have to be archived somewhere.

thanks will look into that.

You need to call these guys first...

http://www.vsb.qld.gov.au/

Are you able to elaborate on the 'over hydration'?

Sorry, just trying to offer advice.

In their reports back from vet board they have stated they put drip in & 'now overhydrated'. the things they did to her clearly you can see they didn't know what they were doing.

Few years back, there was a court case involving a vet just outside the Brisbane area. There was a successful outcome for the pet dog's owners.

thanks will look into that.

Look back to my original post. I managed to find the reference to the near-Brisbane case. In that article, it also mentions the name of the pet owner. You might be able to track her down to get her experience on bringing about some action successfully.

It certainly caused a splash at the time....as I said, making the newspapers.

:thumbsup:

Few years back, there was a case involving a vet just outside the Brisbane area. There was a successful outcome for the pet dog's owners.

:laugh::curtsey::laugh::laugh: Can't thank you enuf!!!

:thumbsup:

:laugh::curtsey::laugh::laugh: Can't thank you enuf!!!

As I said, it also mentions the name of the pet owner who was involved. She's got an unusual name so you might be able to track her down to learn from her experience re the bringing of action for negligence here in Qld. In that case, successful.

Also the newspapers are archived so you could also look up Courier-Mails for 2004.

I am only half way through reading so far & yes thats what this vet said " we can give you a list of !,ooo happy customers"

but how many are willing to have them held accountable. I will read on. this is the most excitng news for this outcome yet. will try contact these people. thank you thank you thank you, We hadn't heard of a case in Aust, So close to home too.

That article by Helen Wellings seems to have been written BEFORE the outcome of the case. So it doesn't mention that it was successful.

You really need to find info about the case as it was actually heard & what was the outcome.

Edited by mita

I can't speak of the attempt to spey thing, but I'd have thought the removal of the canines would simply have been poor communication, rather than mistreatment. They were obviously a problem to be removed (I cant imagine any vet or nurse wanting to take out 4 healthy canines - its a massive, awful job), so to leave them in and cause pain, would be cruel. But yes, the vet should have consulted the owner before doing so as many owners can be sensitive about it.

The brain damage, well yes, this is awful, but if it was a drug reaction, that's a risk with any GA. It's unfortunately, but a potential risk to any animal receiving any drugs.

Obviously we don't know the full facts or events, but if its just the information stated, I can't imagine a vet could be done for mistreatment of an animal because he removed canines under GA and the cat had a drug reaction.

Obviously we don't know the full facts or events, but if its just the information stated, I can't imagine a vet could be done for mistreatment of an animal because he removed canines under GA and the cat had a drug reaction.

Yes, stormie, which is why I've said it's important to find & read the full details of that case as they were presented. There was action by the Veterinary Board.

All of that would be on the public record somewhere. And people involved in it, directly, would also likely be still around.

Edited by mita