And Then The Wheels Fell Off

quoll

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes apparently we have very 'strange' summers compared to the rest of Aus. A friend of a friend just came down from Brisbane to stay and he nearly died in 18c heat just because there was no humidity to go with it!

Huonville... not me! Too far to drive on my lonesome!

Does it rain there as much as it says???

Actually, according to the scientists, per capita we have amongst the lowest rainfall in Australia.

Editing to add: And nobody needs to tell the farmers about it either because last winter/spring saw the drought break briefly. This year, we'll be back to drought conditions again and I will be back to buying drinking water for man and beast.

Edited by ellz

Sadly, our "Royal month" is held at a stupid time of the year. It might be hot, it might be wet, it might be cold, it might be windy.

About the only thing we know for fact (and it comes from the old farmers and Almanacs) is to NOT plant your tomatoes before the Royal show. If the heat or rain don't get 'em, the frosts will. :thumbsup:

Dam farmers... now i know what happened to my tomatoes lol

both royals in the same month??

Launceston Royal first week of October, Hobart Royal around the last week in October. And usually at least 3 All Breeds Shows between them and some group specialty shows and Dogfest the day after Hobart Royal specials.

Sadly, our "Royal month" is held at a stupid time of the year. It might be hot, it might be wet, it might be cold, it might be windy.

About the only thing we know for fact (and it comes from the old farmers and Almanacs) is to NOT plant your tomatoes before the Royal show. If the heat or rain don't get 'em, the frosts will. :cheer:

Hehe yup can't plant them matoes till after show day :cheer: and everyone know that when black cockatoos fly over head it's gonna rain for sure. And you know what IT DOES :p

My mum always follows the old tale about seeing black crows on the way to a show.

Seeing 1 on its own is bad luck, but seeing 2 together is good luck.

For her it seems to be the complete opposite and whenever she just sees 1 she ends up winning something :(

Me,... I just cross my fingers the little 'darling' behaves on the day.

Does it rain there as much as it says???

Actually, according to the scientists, per capita we have amongst the lowest rainfall in Australia.

Why on earth would they measure rainfall per capita? On that basis, some of the low population deserts would register as a high rainfall, yeah right!

Can't they measure how much rain falls into a little cup, like everywhere else???

You've proved it again, ellz - Tasmanians like to be thought of as different to the rest of the Australians!! :laugh: :D :D

Probably the same scientists who for whatever reasons researched a dog shaking itself dry! :laugh:

And yep, they probably can measure how much rain falls into a little cup...only problem is....there isn't usually that much in some areas!