Desexing

Nushie

sorry to change the topic a bit here.... but when is the best time/age to desex a puppy?

Lots of discussion on this topic - there are different opinions - to some extent dependent on breed and whether the pup is going to be involved in dog sports such as agility.

Have a look here

also hope Jager is recovering well!

He seems to be happier now that he is getting a walk each day again. They have only been 15 minutes but it gives him a chance to get out of the house and have a sniff around etc. He is back to the vets on Saturday to get the stitches out. So hopefully then we can start building back to our usual routine.

Hmm, maybe I'm a terrible puppy mum, but I didn't really do anything different after the first few days...

The day it was actually done Saxon was very sleepy and quiet (it was GREAT!) but by the next morning he was basically back to normal. We were lucky that he had no interest in his stitches.. although I think he only had one, two max, being so little.

My vet definitely didn't say he needed to be kept quiet for two weeks. From memory, we did short walks on footpaths, no dog park or other crazy running around until the stitches were out, but no containment or anything. And once the stitches were out, it was all just back to normal :laugh:

I'd just do what you're doing and keep a close eye on the area to make sure it's healing fine, and as long as it is, don't worry too much... but of course I'm no expert!

One thing I found funny about the whole thing was watching the little empty sack shrivel up and disappear, pretty soon there was just smoothness :cheer: (sorry how immature am I!)

One thing I found funny about the whole thing was watching the little empty sack shrivel up and disappear, pretty soon there was just smoothness :cheer: (sorry how immature am I!)

Haha my boyfriend was worried that the empty sack would just hang there forever, he wouldn't listen to me when i said it would eventually disappear. He has only ever had female dogs.

Jager's stitches came out on Saturday. Vet was happy with the way it has healed. He hasn't been interested in them at all, so no licking or biting which was great. We spent yesterday at a BBQ at a friends house and Jager loved all the attention, just went from one person to the next for cuddles and pats until he passed out on my lap. It was a big day for him, and he hasn't done anything today, just wants to cuddle up and snooze. Back to the normal routine now. Looking forward to it.

One thing I found funny about the whole thing was watching the little empty sack shrivel up and disappear, pretty soon there was just smoothness :grouphug: (sorry how immature am I!)

Haha my boyfriend was worried that the empty sack would just hang there forever, he wouldn't listen to me when i said it would eventually disappear. He has only ever had female dogs.

Jager's stitches came out on Saturday. Vet was happy with the way it has healed. He hasn't been interested in them at all, so no licking or biting which was great. We spent yesterday at a BBQ at a friends house and Jager loved all the attention, just went from one person to the next for cuddles and pats until he passed out on my lap. It was a big day for him, and he hasn't done anything today, just wants to cuddle up and snooze. Back to the normal routine now. Looking forward to it.

Heehee, poor little boy dogs. They still have it much easier than girls tho! I've never had any dog before, only cats and somehow hadn't noticed the disappearing sack on the boys. I thought it was very clever how it just healed up as though they were never there!

I'm glad Jager has healed well, he'll never know what he's lost, and I'm sure will still be very man-ly :confused: