Yummy Kibble For A Slightly Fussy Eater

koalathebear

Elbie will eat pretty much anything.

Hoover on the other hand grew up on a mostly raw diet. We don't feed raw so switched him over to kibble as soon as he got here - he was already 3 months so he was fine and his poos were not runny etc. We already told his breeder what we intended to do and she was fine with it so long as he got the occasional bone - which is what we do.

As the days go by, though, I don't think he likes Hills Science Diet very much. A contrast to Elbie who loves and has thrived on the Hills.

Has anyone got any suggestions for kibble that fussy eaters find yummy? I know it's specific to the dog, but some suggestions based on your experience would be helpful because there are so many brands out there.

ETA: As mentioned, we will be giving Hoover the occasional lamb flap/bone but we do not intend to feed a raw diet.

Edited by koalathebear

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am feeding Eagle pack, but soon to change to Nutro. My fussy oldest dog has been a pain to feed and we have tried lots of different things. (actually just finished posting about this in ernys food thread) I have found Eagle pack to be the best but it is hard to get so thats why we are swapping to Nutro. Both companys will post out samples if you want to try it first.

I have a slightly fussy dog that turned his nose up at the Canidae grain free :) and not too keen on Advance. We won a bag of Royal Canin and as much as I've not liked the brand, it does seem to appeal to my fussy eater!!

I have a slightly fussy dog that turned his nose up at the Canidae grain free :) and not too keen on Advance. We won a bag of Royal Canin and as much as I've not liked the brand, it does seem to appeal to my fussy eater!!

Same here. My guys will eat the RC, but went yuk no way to the Canidae Lamb formula and aren't fussed on Advance. They will also eat Eagle Pack.

Elbie will eat pretty much anything.

Hoover on the other hand grew up on a mostly raw diet. We don't feed raw so switched him over to kibble as soon as he got here - he was already 3 months so he was fine and his poos were not runny etc. We already told his breeder what we intended to do and she was fine with it so long as he got the occasional bone - which is what we do.

As the days go by, though, I don't think he likes Hills Science Diet very much. A contrast to Elbie who loves and has thrived on the Hills.

Has anyone got any suggestions for kibble that fussy eaters find yummy? I know it's specific to the dog, but some suggestions based on your experience would be helpful because there are so many brands out there.

ETA: As mentioned, we will be giving Hoover the occasional lamb flap/bone but we do not intend to feed a raw diet.

You would feed both dogs different foods? How dedicated of you! Personally i would stick to one brand unless one of the dogs had a specific dietary requirement. Fussy eating is not on in our home.

Royal canin seems to be popular with dogs, I've heard most dogs like it.

Maybe you culd switch elbie over to that too?

You would feed both dogs different foods? How dedicated of you! Personally i would stick to one brand unless one of the dogs had a specific dietary requirement. Fussy eating is not on in our home.

Elbie's not fussy so I'd switch them both to whatever they could both eat. I'll give the Hills a bit more time - it's just that we need the monsters to like their kibble because we use meal-times as training sessions with 2-3 bits of kibble as treats for teaching commands/tricks. :cry:

Elbie's not fussy so I'd switch them both to whatever they could both eat. I'll give the Hills a bit more time - it's just that we need the monsters to like their kibble because we use meal-times as training sessions with 2-3 bits of kibble as treats for teaching commands/tricks. :cry:

KTB the general view here seems to be that Hills isn't a particularly good kibble for what you are paying for it. I'd finish most of the bag and try something else.

I wonder what RC put in their kibble to make it so palatable? maybe the doggie equivalent og MSG hehehe

:D Ha! Probably, given how popular it is.

Anyway, I'll give it a whirl.

Hills is definitely not popular here at DOL but Elbie's been so happy, healthy, shiny-coated and firm poo-ed (very important! :cry: ) on it that that there never seem to be any need to switch. Will see how the monsters like Royal Canin.

Edited by koalathebear

Wow I have the exact problem with my girl who I got at 3 months and who was on raw before that.

I usually feed EP holistic and Banjo likes it but Luda just wont eat it if she can help it. After this bag am looking to make a change...

I have read a ton about Nutro so think I will try that.....hmmmm or maybe RC now.... which one is better for them to try first?

I have a small bag of Advance Puppy growth forumla at home - I meant to buy the Growth for Large Breeds but managed to pick up the wrong bag and didn't realise until it was opened! If you're interested in giving Advance a go, it's yours.

I have a small bag of Advance Puppy growth forumla at home - I meant to buy the Growth for Large Breeds but managed to pick up the wrong bag and didn't realise until it was opened! If you're interested in giving Advance a go, it's yours.

:o Does Kuma know you keep offering to give away his stuff? :cry:

Thank you! I will take you up on it! Will give my monsters a selection to try from :D Seriously, Elbie will eat ANYTHING.

The irony is that Hoover was named Hoover because he's a guts but you can see when he eats Hills that he's thinking: "Mmmm, this is not so tasty."

Wow I have the exact problem with my girl who I got at 3 months and who was on raw before that.

:) Probably nothing is as tasty as raw for a doggie. Hoover will eat the kibble, he's just very unenthused and he loses interest in it. He's a very obedient dog though, so will eat it - I'd just like to find something that he might enjoy eating.

Edited by koalathebear

:D nope, Kuma is none the wiser *shhhh, don't tell him*

Just remember to follow the instructions and introduce new foods slowly :cry:

Oh, and you also have to consider that Hoover is playing you for a fool. He knows that you'll do as much as you can for him, so he may be thinking in that cute but devious brain of his "maybe if I continue to be disinterested in this kibble stuff, they'll give me more of that raw stuff". Kuma tried it on for a while, and now after some persistance will chomp down his food in minutes. (except on "fasting" days, but that's an Akita thing)

Oh, and you also have to consider that Hoover is playing you for a fool. He knows that you'll do as much as you can for him, so he may be thinking in that cute but devious brain of his "maybe if I continue to be disinterested in this kibble stuff, they'll give me more of that raw stuff". Kuma tried it on for a while, and now after some persistance will chomp down his food in minutes. (except on "fasting" days, but that's an Akita thing)

It's true ... despite what OH thinks, my newest little monster with his cute limpid eyes and wigglebum wombatty ways is an Evil Mastermind, determined to achieve world domination. I must be careful!!