Advice Needed - Broken Rib

Hi, I was wondering if I could get some advice. I have a 16 week old golden retriever whom I'm pretty sure has a broken rib. It happened on Monday morning she was yelping at the top of her voice and couldn't put any weight on her right leg. She was due for her vaccinations anyway so off to the vet we go. Vet checked her over and said she was fine and not obviously sore anywhere (At this stage should could now put weight on her leg, but still had a limp), and if she was still sore in a couple of days to ring up and get some pain killers. Anyway get her home and she fell asleep on the matt then she tried to roll over and started yelping :) Things continued like that yesterday, little things like stepping down the step to go outside to the toilet, stretching when she wakes up all are giving her pain. My husband was checking her over last night thinking it might be her shoulder and discovered swelling on her rib and it was extremely sore to touch. To be honest I am not keen to pay for her to go back to the vet that somehow missed her rib and to be honest I am not sure there is anything they can do anyway. I was just going to ring the receptionist today and ask for some pain medication for her and make sure she has plenty of rest in the coming weeks, what do you guys think I should do? Is there anything that I can do to help her?

you need to get an x-ray ASAP, if it is broken you need to make sure it has not splintered or fractured in a dangerous manner

pain medication wont help healing it will just help the dog dog have a false sense of bravado and possible cause further injury. I'd get an x-ray, lay off the pain meds or keep them as low as possible and a lot of crate rest and controlled exercise like leash walking in short periods.

ETA dosing young pups with NSAIDS without knowing what is wrong is not something I would be doing either

Edited by Nekhbet

Not sure there's anything that can be done for a broken rib. There's definitely not for humans - when my OH broke his, he was told lots of rest and pain relief. Keep her quiet and get some pain relief from the vet.

Eta Nekhbet's right about the false bravado actually. No pain relief will keep her quiet without you having to force it. Dogs generally won't do anything that hurts.

Edited by whiskedaway

Thanks, I think I am going to have to find a new vet. Not really good enough that she couldn't pin point the soreness. I have the horse vet coming today, I might get him to x-ray her then if need be I can find another small animal vet. It's just a pain in the butt as we live in a country town it's a 35 minute drive to another vet practice, but I guess it is worth it when it comes to her health.

My whippet recently had a broken rib and the vet listened to her lungs to make sure they were OK. With her break he could feel enough to not need to xray it but depending on how it feels you dog might need an xray to get a clear picture of what the damage is. You need to go back to the vet or take her to another quick smart.

Even if it just needs time to heal you will have to be very careful with her, give her time to heal, not let her got too boisterous or she could make it worse.

yup I'm a meany. For sores I let them hurt unless the pain is pretty bad. Lets the dog know to NOT run about like a loony for a while and let the area heal.

I can also tell you good vets are worth travelling for. If you do discover a broken rib give the first vet a courtesy call and let them know what they missed. I had a vet completely miss a dislocated tail and tell me my very fit and constantly active dog had arthritis in her hips :) dogs do tend to yelp when you pull their hind legs out perpendicular to the body, oddly also an unnatural position too! Fancy that.

Saying that my bitch had a cracked rib a few years ago and we never knew. She was sore for all of about 5 seconds. Now she has a funny lumpy bit, but it's never affected her adversely (and yes she has been seen by a vet multiple times since then) I'm a baaaaaaaaaaaaaad owner

Another Vet opinion would be a good idea I think!

Hope she is ok soon :eek:

and.. I totally agree here!!!! :)

<<<<<yup I'm a meany. For sores I let them hurt unless the pain is pretty bad. Lets the dog know to NOT run about like a loony for a while and let the area heal.>>>>>

quote thingy not working :laugh: