Prey Model Vs Hydatid Disease

bark

As a raw feeder I've always been told that offal, especially liver is important in having a more balanced meal.

I always freeze my liver a few weeks prior to feeding it but now I'm concerned. Is it still safe to feed?? Do I need to be concerned with feeding kidneys and brains too?

All I can tell you is, that is usually associated with offal.

I used bait my dogs in the ring with liver.

I use bullocks liver cut it into thin strips and cook it in the microwave at the highest temperature till it is dried out and I have not

had a problem.

Doesn't mean I won't, but the chances of it doing any harm would have been minimal.

As a raw feeder I've always been told that offal, especially liver is important in having a more balanced meal.

I always freeze my liver a few weeks prior to feeding it but now I'm concerned. Is it still safe to feed?? Do I need to be concerned with feeding kidneys and brains too?

Liver is absolutely essential in a raw diet, it's where the majority of your vit A and copper come from, among other important things. Please include liver if you're feeding raw! :rofl:

You can be legal and cook it (and still feed the rest of the diet raw), it will still be nutritious & will be safe.

I have no idea if freezing would kill the cysts or not. It does kill the sheep measles cysts in lamb meat, which are related. Oakway, do you know if freezing kills the hydatids cysts?

Liver is absolutely essential in a raw diet, it's where the majority of your vit A and copper come from, among other important things. Please include liver if you're feeding raw! :rofl:

You can be legal and cook it (and still feed the rest of the diet raw), it will still be nutritious & will be safe.

I have no idea if freezing would kill the cysts or not. It does kill the sheep measles cysts in lamb meat, which are related. Oakway, do you know if freezing kills the hydatids cysts?

No, I have my doubts that it would.

I am doing my best to try and find out.

Could be in the middle of next week before I could.

So far everything points to heat treatment only.

If freezing does kill it, it may need to be a much lower temp. than the home freezer is capable of.

I will keep the list up dated as to what I can find out.

Cheers.

No, I have my doubts that it would.

I am doing my best to try and find out.

Could be in the middle of next week before I could.

So far everything points to heat treatment only.

If freezing does kill it, it may need to be a much lower temp. than the home freezer is capable of.

I will keep the list up dated as to what I can find out.

Cheers.

Thanks that will be really interesting!

PDF] Farmnote 37/2002 : Hydatid disease [WA AGRIC]

94k - Adobe PDF - View as html

intermediate life cycle in the form of a hydatid cyst' in ... hydatid cysts are commonly several ... can survive freezing for a year and remain infective for ...

agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/.../content/pw/​ah/par/fn037_2002.pdf

I will be speaking to the local government authority next week.

PDF] Farmnote 37/2002 : Hydatid disease [WA AGRIC]

94k - Adobe PDF - View as html

intermediate life cycle in the form of a hydatid cyst' in ... hydatid cysts are commonly several ... can survive freezing for a year and remain infective for ...

agric.wa.gov.au/objtwr/.../content/pw/​ah/par/fn037_2002.pdf

I will be speaking to the local government authority next week.

Oh that is really interesting since sheep measles (closely related) is definitely killed by freezing sheep & goat meat at -10C for a week, I just looked it up. Very good to know that hydatids is different, thanks.