Help! 10wk Puppy With Severe Trauma

Plomox

I have horses too....Six to be excact. Our horses and dogs are all fine together and often when we ride inour own paddock our horses are with us..........But our pups only get introduced to the very quiet horses that we have. We have three that are particulary fond of dogs. Our Clydesdale is very careful around dogs and allows the dogs to eat with him, our newfies love him and often hang out with him. Even Katy as a ten week old could be around Johnno with us there too. I did have her on leash initially. Two of our older Quarter horses are great too. Especially my older gelding Robert. he will put his nose right down and investigate our newf pups and is very gentle around them. We have had dogs and horses for the past thirty plus years and no problems. But hubby also trains horses and I would NEVER allow any of our dogs near any of those. Or even my young dogs near the other three horses.

I would find a horse like our Robert and slowly re-introduce them. Our working dogs used to jump onto our laps from a barrel to travel with us. So you can make horses and dogs get along. Just each need to have the education to get used to one another..........The bad thing that can happen after this is that your pups fear can lead to barking at the horses and if it has some work dog in the breeding it could lead to the pup rushing the horses.

So I would take the pup and intro it to a happy relaxed horse and see if you can get it to relax. I do hope that your little on will get better and used to horses again.

Some of our horses get to graze in the garden, especially during the Drought.........And I was always glad that they got on so well. Johnno did not even care when the newfy rescue barked at him, because he had never seen a horse. but they have now settled too. Tobias has decided horses are OK.

I think you need to pick your horses and slow it all down..........good luck

The pup has been introduced to this horse before and has always been fine with dogs. Its just strange how they turn sometimes.

Luckily my horse is about as good as it gets with dogs. He has had coolies jumping all over him since he was born. This pup is also not too sooky. I was proud of him that he would come to me and play with me with my horse yarded close by.

I would be keeping him as a part of the household ..he is not being punished- just confined :D I also figure if he is away from you, howling/barking/jumping...then he is not exactly resting!! Keep him where he is privy to household happenings- it will give him something to look at/smell/hear :laugh: Plonk crate outside too - so he can see stuff :rofl:

As to crating him I think it might just have to be touch titties if he doesn't like it.

:D

Well that's one way to keep him amused I guess. :laugh:

I'd check he doesn't need to go out to the tolilet (on lead) before ignoring the whining.

As I mentioned before - chews, trick training, food puzzles and interactive toys. Give him all his food in something that he has work at. And maybe a DAP infuser. They are usually used for anxiety but if he was mine I'd see if it helped, if he has to be in the crate for some days that is.

Border Collie x lab sounds quite likely. The classic white markings tend to throw through from BCs - does he have a white tip to his tail too? I might have said x Kelpie, but the webbed feet suggests maybe lab. He's gorgeous looking anyway -= and will give you lots of fun training.

Hope he recovers well (and quickly) - and yes, I would take him rides in the car.

He is really cute. I hope he gets well soon. I'd say Border Collie x Lab too, the white markings are correct for BC and the chunky squareness of him suggests a Lab for the other half. He's going to grow up to be a very handsome dog.

I have found the Kong biscuit balls seems to be more entertaining than classic Kongs. I fill the biscuit ball with kibble then soak it in stock til the kibble is wet but not soggy, plug the holes with peanut butter and wrap it in foil and freeze overnight. Really good for teething pups, and it takes them ages to get everything out.

Well today he seems bright and happy. He was still having the occasional cough last night. He wasn't too bad in the crate, a bit of crying before he went to sleep and a bit when he woke. The lab sat by him and that would make him happy. He is spending quite a bit of tie outside the crate because being a smart dog, he seems to understand we are not going to play and just sit with me. It is likely that he is a little sore today anyway.

I will take him out for a trip today in the car.

That frozen kong idea is excellent!

wow hope all goes well, I have 2 horses agist here, 1 doesn't mind dogs, 1 hates them. I made sure that the dogs were well behaved and gave the horses a wide berth b4 they were allowed to roam the paddocks unrestrained with the horses . I don't let little gizzi roam near them as she would walk under them and not even realsie :rofl:

Hope your pups well soon.

We;ve got 2 mares here and the 4 dogs.

harry's scared of them because Malibu thinks its a fun game to chase the dogs, he doesn't appreciate it.

Buster's the only one that seems to actually get the game. Malibu chases him, he jumps out of the way and if he stops, she stops and look sat him like "are you going to run?"generally they are pretty good with each other, we don't force them to get in close with each other and if I don't want to watch Malibu (she's only 5 and can get random zoomies) I'll just closeoff one fo the paddocks and let the dogs out in there to watch them