Help! 10wk Puppy With Severe Trauma

Plomox

I have a 10 week old lab x collie x ..... black and white bitza. He followed me out into a large horse paddock where I often take my other dog and many others also take their dogs. One of the horses acted unusually and attacked my puppy, trampling and kicking him. He also chased the puppy away. I had to find him under a bush, over the road.

The puppy seemed physically ok to start with. I put my horse in a yard and played with my puppy near by to sooth him. He wasn't too bad, wary but would still be near a horse as such. Then he developed a cough and brought up bloody sputum so off the the A&E. The vet is certain that he has lung contusions but luckily shows no other signs of internal bleeding. He will either get worse throughout the next 24 hours and there is nothing we really can do, or he will just get better.

Firstly, the little puppy needs a f'load of healing vibes.

The vet gave me the option for me to 'hospitalise' him. I am on holidays so I can stay with him. I am also lucky enough to have heard many a contused chest (human kind) so I can keep an eye on that. I could just hear what he has in his lungs now so I will be able to tell if it worsens. If he becomes short of breath, then that will be obvious. Its straight into hospital if that happens.

So the puppy needs enforced 24 hour a day crating. Right now he is fine chewing on a pig hide thingo. I need some advise on how I can make this enforced crating tolerable for an active puppy? He is quieter than normal, but still wants to play. He has not been properly introduced to the crate, I just can't do that now. He usually puts himself to bed when he is tired in the laundry so he can be away from my slightly older lab so being 'put away' shouldn't be too traumatic for him.

So when he GETS BETTER (he will, he's a mongrel, has lost his mother, was to be euthanased with his litter mates because no one wanted them....he will survive) how can I assist him to accept horses again. The culprit horse will be moved away. I enjoy running my dogs while I ride (when he is big enough, of course) and surely he won't like horses now. They are a huge part of my life so I will have to try and work through it. Also, this has been a very, very scary thing to happen to a puppy anyway, I want to make sure he does not develop any kind of general anxiety from this.

Please give any advice which you think may help this pup get better both physically and mentally. Has any had a trauma happen to their dog and they were ok? I see these things happen to people every day (I am a paramedic) and they are usually fine and they are sooky lala humans. But having this happen to my own puppy, I just keep crying.

Plomox:

One of the horses acted unusually and attacked my puppy, trampling and kicking him. He also chased the puppy away. I had to find him under a bush, over the road.

The first thing you should note is that there is NOTHING unusual about horses (particularly mares) attacking dogs. My personal view is that off lead dogs and loose horses are a recipe for disaster. You now know this first hand. The number of dogs seriously wounded and killed by horses is significant.

I would never allow an offlead dog into horse paddock - ever. They can stay back at yards or whereever.

I would start with pup on lead and horse on halter and lead and walk them some distance apart together. If your pup has learned to keep a distance from horses, I'd say that's a valuable life lesson.

ETA: Was the pup x-rayed?

Edited by poodlefan

Accidents happen. Obviously I have learnt my lesson. I cannot blame the horse or the owner of that horse, that is the unpredictability of all animals. Dogs are also a huge part of farm life.

I am not seeking ridicule over why it happened. I never, ever do this to my patients who have gotten themselves into a situation themselves. I find that life lessons are the most valuable, and accidents happen.

Plomox:
One of the horses acted unusually and attacked my puppy, trampling and kicking him. He also chased the puppy away. I had to find him under a bush, over the road.

The first thing you should note is that there is NOTHING unusual about horses (particularly mares) attacking dogs. My personal view is that off lead dogs and loose horses are a recipe for disaster. You know this first hand. The number of dogs seriously wounded and killed by horses is significant.

I would never allow an offlead dog into horse paddock - ever. They can stay back at yards or whereever.

I would start with pup on lead and horse on halter and lead and walk them some distance apart together. If your pup has learned to keep a distance from horses, I'd say that's a valuable life lesson.

My dogs and horses, chooks and goats were all fine in the one paddock, I would not take an off lead PUPPY. I hope the pup heals and the owner recovers from the mishap. Mistakes and misjudgments are made in every aspect of our lives. You live and learn.

I agree with Poodlefan. Never have them together off lead/lead rope - I have seen many kicked, bitten and trampled.

Introduce them whilst on leads/leadropes. I would thankful he has survived and make sure it doesn't happen again. I would also hope he is very wary and stays away from them in future.

I have a Clyde who will stand quite still and look quite happy. As soon as the dog gets within striking range she is as fast as. It only happened once when our dog snuck into the paddock behind me and I luckily interevened and he was not hurt. She did however kill my Ostrich that she had lived with for around 6 years. We bought them of some people who had them together for years.

The dog got a fright so he stays away. Luckily the other two have much more respect for the fences.

Hope things heal quickly :D

I would just take things slowly and very matter-of-fact ." It happened - big deal.. today's a normal day" type thing. have him on a long leash and just go about things as per normal.. take treats perhaps, and if he is bright and brave- he gets the treats (make sure he knows you have them!

Accidents happen. Obviously I have learnt my lesson. I cannot blame the horse or the owner of that horse, that is the unpredictability of all animals. Dogs are also a huge part of farm life.

I am not seeking ridicule over why it happened. I never, ever do this to my patients who have gotten themselves into a situation themselves. I find that life lessons are the most valuable, and accidents happen.

I am not seeking to ridicule you. I'm seeking to point out that when you take a predator species into a prey animal's paddock don't blame horse or its owner for what is totally natural and quite predictable defensive behaviour from a horse.

Strange horse, strange puppy - neither under effective human control. As you said, you've learned from it. I hope other folk who make a habit of taking their dogs into that paddock learn from it too.

The rules at every place I ever kept horses were "no offlead dogs allowed". That kept a lot of dogs safe and a lot of horses out of the fences.

Was the pup x-rayed? How does the vet know he doesn't have a displaced broken rib?

Poor pup. Crate rest can be a challenge. Chews, interactive toys and food puzzles, and maybe some simple trick training to keep his mind amused, are all I can suggest. Maybe a DAP infuser to help keep him calm?

I'm no help with the trauma recovery but hopefully some of the behaviourists on the site will come in and suggest an approach. I hope he bounces back.

I agree with Poodlefan. Never have them together off lead/lead rope - I have seen many kicked, bitten and trampled.

Introduce them whilst on leads/leadropes. I would thankful he has survived and make sure it doesn't happen again. I would also hope he is very wary and stays away from them in future.

I have a Clyde who will stand quite still and look quite happy. As soon as the dog gets within striking range she is as fast as. It only happened once when our dog snuck into the paddock behind me and I luckily interevened and he was not hurt. She did however kill my Ostrich that she had lived with for around 6 years. We bought them of some people who had them together for years.

The dog got a fright so he stays away. Luckily the other two have much more respect for the fences.

Don't assume he WILL stay away though.. my agistment has a dog who chases my pony. One day he got too close to another horse who doesn't appreciate 'chasies' and got kicked in the head. Sure doesn't stop him going up to the hind legs!

You can use things such as stuffed Kongs, raw meaty bones to keep him occupied in his crate however it won't do him any harm to learn to be settled in the crate and while he's unwell is a reasonable time. Toilet on the lead and back into the crate with whatever toy you decide to give him.

Sorry poodle, I'm a unusually sensitive. I am embarrassed by what has happened and I need the wealth of advice on here to make things right again.

He has been x-rayed and is all fine. The coughing up of blood is more the indicator.

Well I suppose I went straight away to tell the property care taker to not take her 8 week old coolies near this horse and she certainly won't be from now on.

I don't blame the horse at all. He is a very docile horse, but as we all know they are animals and we don't always know what is going to happen. The puppy always stays close by my feet, but the horse just acted really strangely and I just couldn't move him on. This particular horse is always ridden with dogs and it's owner's whippet puppy. Things just went wrong today.

Edited by Plomox

In my time as a horse owner (some years back now) I saw dogs get:

* picked up and tossed (result spinal injury)

* bitten (lots of those)

* kicked distances of some metres

* stomped on (permanent damage to hind leg and another amputation)

* knocked unconscious

* fractured skull

These were all dogs whose owners ignored the "no dogs offlead" rule.

Its different when all dogs and all horses know each other but even then some mares simply will not tolerate the presence of dogs in their space. Nature provides a very logical explanation for that.

all of the toys, chews, bones are a great idea and will help, but if you have a nice small area that you can sit on a chair with your pup, maybe you could work on some of the more basic obedience commands like "watch" "sit" "drop" and teach him a couple of new tricks like "bow" and "shake". Might help to keep him mentally occupied as well as helping with bonding with you?

Sorry poodle, I'm a unusually sensitive. I am embarrassed by what has happened and I need the wealth of advice on here to make things right again.

No apology required.

Shit happens. :D I think as dog owners we've all done things that might have gone badly and luck has saved many of us from being in your shoes.

He's a smart mix - as GoneTroppo has suggested, some basic obedience or trick training might be a way of keeping that brain occupied.

For how long must he be kept quiet? I have had two friends that needed to crate young dogs for an extensive period of time - I'll ask what they did. If he really starts to fret, there's always sedation.

I will give that a go, he loves his training sessions. He already does all those things :laugh: apart from bow. I'm sure I can find some more for him to do. He certainly is smart this one. I spose that makes it even more important that I get this crating thing right.

I have had some bad luck though. I had two dogs bitten by a snake in my yard despite all anti snake measures been done. My lovely GR died, and man that cost a bit having two bitten at once.

He is going to be assessed in a few days no matter what and we will know how long he will need to be totally rested. I suppose pups can bounce back amazingly quickly like human kidlets.

Should I take him in the car? He loves trips, but it might be a bit boring going for just the ride. My lab likes going in the car just to smell the smalls go by, and then is too lazy to get out at the other end :D

No apology required.

Shit happens. :rofl: I think as dog owners we've all done things that might have gone badly and luck has saved many of us from being in your shoes.

He's a smart mix - as GoneTroppo has suggested, some basic obedience or trick training might be a way of keeping that brain occupied.

For how long must he be kept quiet? I have had two friends that needed to crate young dogs for an extensive period of time - I'll ask what they did. If he really starts to fret, there's always sedation.

Your poor little pup, ..... and you! My first whippet was accidentally killed by a horse in 1985 and I still cry when I think about her, and I still blame myself. It must have been horrible for you to see that happening to him.

As to crating him I think it might just have to be tough titties if he doesn't like it. He needs to be kept quiet for a few days at least.

Keep him on a lead around horses from now on and be prepared to hunt any horses off if they come close to threaten him.

My Rowdy was a bugger. We'd be out on a ride, dogs trotting beside us, we might have been going for hours and suddenly he'd try to stomp one, as if for sport. I'd give him a clout and tell him to cut it out and he'd so along quietly again.

Edited by Kirislin

Should I take him in the car? He loves trips, but it might be a bit boring going for just the ride. My lab likes going in the car just to smell the smalls go by, and then is too lazy to get out at the other end

Yep!

I've been known to take my tribe for a drive when the weather's been too foul to walk them. Even a change of scenery is stimulating. :D

I once 'rescued' someone's silky cross from two horses determined to squash it like an ant. Poor little dog was terrified.

It would be the human equivalent of being chased by two T-Rex's out for a good time. Bloody owners hadn't even noticed. :D:

Toby was stomped by a horse at 9 weeks, he was on lead at the time. My dad was putting the feed bucket over the fence and Toby slipped through the wire , he got stomped, luckily the horse missed his head and only got his leg or he would have been dead.

Toby's leg did not heal 100% and now at 2.5 he is showing indications of early onset arthritis. :D